Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
taking the kids to Oak Island mid July....my sister got us a house across the street from Ocean Crest Pier.

Ive been here a few times, but never tried fishing much.

I know surf fishing will be weak, im ok with that. I have 2 nice surf setups and i'll still try each morning and afternoon.

is there a chance for any redfish, without a boat or kayak anywhere near the intracostal or any of hte creeks that is accessible by foot?

·
Registered
337 Posts
Lived there for a bit. I'm going to be realistic. Your chances are low. You specifically said redfish. You MIGHT catch a few pomps or croakers or if ya lucky some whiting early and late in the day. I honestly never got in to trying the creeks on foot this time of year. Kayaks are fairly cheap to rent. I think it would benefit you to do so.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lived there for a bit. I'm going to be realistic. Your chances are low. You specifically said redfish. You MIGHT catch a few pomps or croakers or if ya lucky some whiting early and late in the day. I honestly never got in to trying the creeks on foot this time of year. Kayaks are fairly cheap to rent. I think it would benefit you to do so.
I'll have my kids with me, so renting a kayak is a no go. I have a hobie mirage, just doesn't fit 3 people. If there was river/creek access attached to, say, a park....then i could occupy my kids while still getting a line wet.

i'm going back in september and october without them, to actually catch fish, though

·
Registered
58 Posts
taking the kids to Oak Island mid July....my sister got us a house across the street from Ocean Crest Pier.

Ive been here a few times, but never tried fishing much.

I know surf fishing will be weak, im ok with that. I have 2 nice surf setups and i'll still try each morning and afternoon.

is there a chance for any redfish, without a boat or kayak anywhere near the intracostal or any of hte creeks that is accessible by foot?
I think your best chance to catch fish is on the other side of the river at Fort Fisher. Lots of slippery rocks and not a place for kids unless they are older.
The little concrete pier on the water front at South Port is the place to take younger kids. It’s possible to catch a few there but depends on timing. I’ve done okay there on a rising tide.

Von

·
Registered
337 Posts
I think your best chance to catch fish is on the other side of the river at Fort Fisher. Lots of slippery rocks and not a place for kids unless they are older.
The little concrete pier on the water front at South Port is the place to take younger kids. It’s possible to catch a few there but depends on timing. I’ve done okay there on a rising tide.

Von
I think we just found the best advice of the day right here ..........

·
Registered
58 Posts
It’s sad that Long Beach-Oak Island is not on our regular list of places to go. I had a lot of good times there fishing years ago and rented houses in the area after we started our family. We even stayed at the old campground a few times. Lots of good memories but the place changed we just stopped going.

Von

·
Registered
759 Posts
It’s sad that Long Beach-Oak Island is not on our regular list of places to go. I had a lot of good times there fishing years ago and rented houses in the area after we started our family. We even stayed at the old campground a few times. Lots of good memories but the place changed we just stopped going.

Von
All the beaches are changing, they call it ''progress'', some people will never understand a good simple life, sad really,...pop.

·
Registered
337 Posts

Von
When they built that Publix (OKI) and associated mess across the street from us and we couldn't make a left turn for 10 minutes I looked at my wife and said I am out of here. The over build at the point and channel filling in on the south end had a lot to do with it as well. Plus a water and sewer bill that is 120 a month minimum? It was time to go. I think I said the same thing sitting across from Dillion's once on the OBX when we were on Old Light House court. Its not 1980 any more and if you got to enjoy it its hard to accept what its become.......

·
Registered
82 Posts
Grew up on caswell beach in the 80’s as a kid as my dad worked at CP&L. Lots of memories fishing the west end, under the bridge “ I remember the old man who lived in the shack leaving the island “, Long Beach pier, the jetty at the end of the road across from Clem’s seafood. Driving thru the woods to get to that jetty was fun, lol. I did go back in 2014 in October and got super lucky hooking a bull red from the surf in caswell. Good luck in July

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm staying a mile away from ocean crest pier. I'm here till the 2nd of July. Have has zero luck in the surf and caught one shark minnow off the ocean crest pier. Last year I was here a week earlier, had much better luck at the concrete public pier in south port. Is there anything good biting in the surf this time of year? I'd like to catch some pomps or some weakfish. My wife hooked a huge red fish in the surf fishing the shallows with shrimp

1 - 10 of 10 Posts