Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I joined this site late last summer after a family member got a place down on Oak Island. I have made a few posts asking for pointers, so I figured I might as well let you all know how the fishin was coming so someone could make use of the little bit I seem to have picked up. Its taken a while to figure them out (still haven't to be honest), but we're gettin there.

Mornin of the 4th we cast netted some live shrimp and a few finger mullets. On the outgoing tide we drifted them through the inlet between Oak Island and Holden and got some mixed results. Caught several small blues, mostly on cutbaits after the live mullets were getting whacked, enough for a fry anyway. Drifting the shrimp we caught a couple nice whiting (1-2 real nice sized) and 4-5 small flounder below the size limit. Once we started getting out past the inlet into more of the open water, we were getting killed by little dogfish, can't tell you how many of them we reeled in. Threw around a bucktail and a gotcha plug for a while on the drifts with nothing to speak of, though something (looked like a decent sized, 3-4 foot maybe, shark blew up at it right at the boat one time but missed) All in all, action was steady and we ended up with enough for a fry. Sooner or later we'll really get into em, I'll let you know when it happens.

From the surf we had no luck on the morning of the 5th except for one shark (looked like a sand tiger to me) that we estimated at about 20-25 pounds that hit a mullet head right at about 6 a.m. Nothing other than that, lot of grass started coming in. Anyone else been doing much down that way?

·
Registered
14 Posts
oak island

Going down on the 12th to the 17th of July .I'll post in the middle of the week if I catch anything .In laws don't have a computer so have to go to the library to use a computer .

1 - 2 of 2 Posts