Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm goind to be at Oak Island the second week in May. Do you have any suggestions on where to go fishing? Any piers or strips of beach I should try? Any suggestions on bait?

John :cool:

·
Registered
65 Posts
yep. ocean crest rules. great staff great family on the end. what more can ya want. blues are biting like crazy and the whiting have made a strong presence. Still no king or spanish yet but apache pier in North Myrtle beach is on a roll. They've landed 5 kings in the past 3 days with 1 guy catching 1 each of those days. :cool: guess we all need to run down there. :rolleyes: but it should only be a matter of time now before they arrive here.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Welcome to the board PJnc284 and thanks for the info :) was thinking of heading to ocean crest myself this Wednesday. There any size to the blues and whiting being caught? I was at Kure beach pier today and go skunked. Only saw a few small blues brought over the side and as for whiting didn't even see a small one brought in.

You may know this or ya may not but i saw on the ocean crest website that they now have a plugging section on the pier? does that mean if you're bait fishing you can plug next to your rods? I guess what i'm asking is plugging now restricted to that section only?

Tight Lines

Tim

·
Registered
65 Posts
Haven't quite figured that one out yet. You can't cast in between the king rigs, but you can bait fish all along the pier. The end right before the t is supposed to be marked as the plugging zone, but I didn't see it when I was there last Friday. The blues are from 8-12" and the whiting are chunky. Spanish showed up today, so the kings should be around soon. :) guess I'll go try my luck again this weekend.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Thanks for the info.. will be headed down there tomorrow :)

·
Registered
285 Posts
went to ocean crest pier today and WOW! it was almost non stop. bluefish some up to 3 and 4lbs. spanish! almost every cast had a fish untill the sun started to set. Lost 2 nice spanish (6-7lbs) due to weak line from the blue fish. Anyone tried using steel leaders with plugs? anyway the total at the end of the day was 3 whiting, 25 blue fish, and 5 spanish!

And what a great group of people down there :D
Will definately be back down in a few weeks!

Tight lines!

Tim

pictures to come shorty :D

·
Registered
285 Posts
Here's the pictures! :)

I have a very limited amount of bw i can use from this website so if the pictures don't show up you can check them out at Photo Album

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Great catch I only wish I was down there but please keep catching them for me I love reading you great fishing and seeing great pics

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sharkbite -

Nice Job. any tips on what you were using? Squid strips live bay, chunk mac?

Any help will be great!

Nice pictures - hopefully I can add after next week! :eek:

·
Registered
285 Posts
Dave has some plugs at the pier house that are alot cheaper then gotchas and where working alot better... they're i think $2.60 or somewhere around their a piece... the red headed ones worked the best (as in those are the ones i hooked the big spanish on) as for catching bluefish and spanish in general, silver/red gotchas, red/white gotchas, green/white gotchas, i think the only color gotcha plug i didn't get a strike on was gold/red which i thought was kinda odd.. oh well they're out there! btw the kings have moved in also!! :)

As far as bait fishing goes. They are catching a few flounder on strips of bluefish. I caught a few nice whiting and a small sea trout on shrimp.

If you're plug fishing make sure you bring or buy plenty of them. I lost 7 when i was out there.

Tight Lines!

Tim

·
Registered
285 Posts
yep, there was two of us with two coolers. guess i forgot to mention that in this post :) but thanks for the reminder pj.

·
Registered
823 Posts
sure, use a 9" bronze stranded wire leader for the bluefish, has to be bronze or black. if you use the silver leader material you'll have short strikes because the blues will be striking the leader not the lure. i've tried this . actually works pretty good.

·
Registered
65 Posts
In a blitz, you'd be amazed at how many times the blues will bite above that 6-10" wire leader or won't bite it at all. those fishing with wire couldn't buy a bite. I used about 18-20" of lime green 40lb Berkley Trilene Big Game and tore them up. we caught so many in a 45min time framethat we could have probably filled the bait tank up twice and reach our limit. we pretty much had to throw back every one we caught. I hooked two gotchas one behind the other and slaughtered them. our gotchas feel like sandpaper when you rubbed your hand across them. caught a nice fat 24"+ spanish and even a speckled trout on a gotcha- that was a fight. :cool:

·
Registered
285 Posts
Nice job PJ! :) did you try out any of those new plugs dave has at the pier house? alot cheaper then gotchas and seemed to work alot better as far as the spanish mackerel...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'll bite. What is a "gotcha"? From reading I'm guessing it is nothing more than a weighted hook with a skirt that is reeled in at a "normal" speed and the blues are hitting. Is this right?

I'm planning to try some surface lures and see how I do.

Thanks for the education. :confused:

·
Registered
285 Posts
Yeah those :) I'm headed down there tomorrow... Hopefully will get my first king thanks to Kory aka Kingcrazy.

Will let ya know tomorrow night how it went :)

As far as working gotcha plugs everyone has their own method.. I use a medium retrieve with a fast jerk every few seconds... i usually time it with my real... one full turn, jerk, one full turn, jerk.... plugs take a little getting use to but it's worth the practice :) especially when ya hook into a big spanish!

Tight Lines!

Tim

1 - 20 of 20 Posts