Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cleaning out my father-in laws basement and came across a couple of boxes of 1/0 and 2/0 O' Shaughnessy hooks.
What sort of fishing or lures would they be best used for? I have never used one?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Pretty much a general all around hook, usually a longer shank, can help with toothy critters, nothing wrong with them.

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
Used to be standard hooks for Bluefish and Stripers, the long shanks made it easier to remove the hooks with just your fingers instead of having to grab pliers. You have to sharpen the points. Used to be everyone carried a sharpening stone in their kit. I still do.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Did he fly fish in the salt? They've long been a standard style for tying saltwater flies too. Mustad 3407, 34007 ( stainless), and Eagle Claw 254 are all O'Shaughnessy style, and the EC 254 has a shorter shank than those Mustad. Both companies and other hook brands make that style still, and in various models. They're even made in jig hook types.

EC 253 too, and they were sold as a spinnerbait hook, but folks used them for other fishing purposes and for tying flies.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Here is some "ol timer" info ..... quite interesting.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts