Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I find this stuff on the beach at SPSP and I found some at the Tank and it looks like all are tied to O'Shaughnessy hooks. Is the wire easier to use than mono of the same weight rating? I know I sometimes have a hard time tying a decent knot with the heavier lines. I guess it is being used for strippers.

What size wire are most people using and can you the sleeves on mono line, instead of tying a knot on your terminal tackle?

Also where are you purchasing the wire and sleeves? Online or store?

·
Registered
720 Posts
I've used those wires to tie my own hi-low rigs before. It's pretty tough to work with and the knots won't be tight but it should hold with no slippage. I think I was using wires rated at 30#. Only made a few just in case blues were running but I'm sticking with mono for now. Wires get bent out of shape and don't normally spring back easily. You can find them at Galyan's in the saltwater section if you're interested.

·
Registered
4,334 Posts
Wire is for sharks...

Use it for tying shark rigs. I have not had a problem with 80 lb mono for hi/low rigs or snells. Like WW said - One fish and the wire is all crumpled.

I have no other use for wire less the shark rigs/snells. You will get more hits on mono and can tie up a hi/lo rig in under a minute for less $$$.

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
Wire is for Blues

Used to use wire for blues when they were bigger and in larger numbers in the Chesapeake.

Catman.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts