Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a few good years off AI, I stopped doing anything besides bridge fishing for rockfish in OCMD because Bev's Harbor Bait and Tackle closed down and it was impossible to find good bunker. After a great red drum season down south, I am a bit reinvigorated to try my hand at surf fishing for rockfish again. My question, are there any dependable sources for FRESH bunker with Bev's gone? Past foray's to AllTackle, Bucks, and Oyster Bay have been pretty disappointing. Have they improved their bait resources? Are there any new shops that I am not aware of? Or is my best bet to head north and get bait from Bill's, Rick's, or Old Inlet?

I appreciate the guidance, and hope to stumble into a couple of you at the walkover this December.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What's wrong with Sue Foster's stores?
I like the store fine. My issues:

1) It is out of the way if I am heading to AI from DC
2) as stated above, I have been there probably 8 or 9 times since Bev's closed. Not a single time have they had fresh bait. It is really testing to go 30 minutes out of the way to come up empty handed. I am sure it isn't there fault, but Bev's was pretty dependable for having fresh bunker unless a storm had just passed through, even as late as January.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Shannon had posted fresh bunker only a few weeks back so if there is any truth to LA closing perhaps it is only seasonal.

If you are coming from DC then I would stop at Kool ice as others have suggested. Cheap and fresh.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I checked old inlet yesterday and only frozen bunker. They have live eel. Oysterbay was out of green crab but old inlet had them if anyone else was interested in catching tagtog.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Twink, get you an eel or two, sling it in the inlet after dark...incoming tide is best.
No weight needed.
Just let it drift in the current till the line comes tight near the rocks.
Then, hang on.
Gotta be careful though the eel will dig up under a rock, and break you off.
Put the eels in a baggie...one eel per.
Keep em cool, but not directly on ice, a towel on top of another ice filled baggie will do.
Then, when yer readym get the baggie, work the head into a corner, and run the hook uo through the lips, and out an eye socket.
Now, cut the bag away...hooked eel, no fuss no muss, and no slime.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts