Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hit the beach from Wednesday through Friday. Sorry for the late report , but I had to go to the game on Saturday.

Wednesday was overcast high 60's low 70's light wind most of the day and calm seas. I fished Garden City Pier from 1 PM - 3 AM. Great day of fishing. The catch of the day came about 30 minutes after I started fishing, a 3.5 lb. black drum (fresh shrimp) caught in the suds. Within 15 minutes I caught another black drum in the same spot. I did not weigh this one, but it measured right at 15". I also caught 2 small pompanos six spots, 4 flounder (all small, largest was 12 1/2"), and a limit of crocker all in the suds, or just behind the breaker line. I moved out to the end of the pier about 6:00 PM when I started catching whiting. I lost count at eight. Probably 12 - 15 whiting in all. from around midnight to 12:45 am a school of trout came through. I was getting hits on cut mullet as soon as the bait settled to the bottom. I just ignored one pole and never set my working rod down for about re45 minutes. I could not began to estimate how many trout I caught during that window, just say it was a mess-o-fish. most were small, about 10 inches. I only measured one that I think was the largest at just a hair under 15 inches. Wednesday was as good a day of pier fishing as I can remember.

Thursday and Friday morning I fished the surf just behind the motel in MB a couple hours each morning. Not much happening with beach restoration in full swing. Thursday I got a blue and a small shark. Friday morning nothing. I remembered you guys (and gals) indicating that around the swash you could catch fish, but they were not safe to eat. Well, since I was not going to eat them anyhow, I thought I would try it out. Well, I never got a line wet there, it smelled like day old crap there, so I headed south beyond the beach restoration. A couple whitings, a couple small flounder and a baby red drum was all I could muster the rest of the day on Thursday.

Friday after leaving the motel, I hit Veteran's pier for a couple hours caught caught one 16" flounder with shrimp and one 14" one on a white and red plastic grub. Stopped at Pawley's Island for a couple hours and struck out. I stopped off at the bridge in Georgetown for a couple hours on my way home. I was using mullet fillets there. Two cat fish. The largest was 20".

There were no mullet to be found while I was there. Perry's even ran out of mullet and shrimp by Thursday.

Bottom line, The weather was great the entire time. Fishing was outstanding on Wednesday. and I did not do too much Thursday and Friday, but I still had a blast.

·
Super Moderator
3,417 Posts
Great report, Tide. Yeah, it sounds like Wednesday things were a-happenin' for you! How crowded was the pier at GC??

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great report, Tide. Yeah, it sounds like Wednesday things were a-happenin' for you! How crowded was the pier at GC??
There were plenty of folks out there. Most were out on the far end of the pier. very little competition for the area in the suds until I caught the black drum. When I decided to go out to the end of the pier, I had to wait for openings. Took a while before I could get into the honey hole spot.

I stopped by Springmaid on the way down to GC. Not to fish, just to check it out. And that pier was elbow to elbow from surf to the end of the pier. I would not have attempted to fish there. Also stopped at the 2nd avenue pier and it was a lot less crowded. I talked with one guy that was leaving and he said there was nothing happening due to the beach rehab work.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts