Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to let everyone know that there are two things coming up on Pierandsurf.com that could disrupt service.

First, I'm going to be changing BB programs. Not just an upgrade, a change from one program to another. This upgrade will come some time in the next few days or weeks, and it could go smoothly and only take a few hours of downtime, or it could blow up in my face and take the boards down for days. So if the site is unavailable, don't send me panicked e-mails; I'll know the site is down and will be trying to fix it as quickly as possible.

If you don't appreciate geek stuff, just skip to the next paragraph The program we're switching over to doesn't use a flat file structure like UBB, the current board system. It is based on PHP and MySQL database, and importing from a flatfile and *.cgi-based system is going to be a bear to try and cram all the user info, posts, and everything else into the database without everything going to hell.

The second change could come in the next week or as late as this fall. I'm probably going to be switching hosting companies because I'm getting hosed on bandwidth charges with my current company. I'm glad the site is growing, but growth costs money and I have to find a better deal. So I'm switching to another company that 1) has cheaper bandwidth and 2) is optimized to run the new BB system.

What this means for you guys is a better bb system. It'll run faster, smoother, with fewer errors and with added features that'll allow you to upload pictures to the board and select personal icons, etc.

In the meantime, I ask for your patience. Wish me luck.

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
Sandflea,

Thanks alot for creating and maintaining this site. It has been priceless in meeting some cool people and having numerous eyes to know where the fish are biting.

I'll be putting some $$ in the tip jar.

-John

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Thanks Sandflea,I really appreciate what you do to keep this site running. Hopefully some more people will give a little to th tip jar. :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Forgot to ask! How many visitors do you have a month on this site? How many bandwith are you recently using or provided whit?
Great site dude.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
SandFlea, I know what you mean. Upgrade is not always trivial (been through too many times). My compliments to your work. This site is extremely informative and popular. Whenever I go to different areas to fish, I spoke to and bummped onto people who know about this site, if they don't, I tell them about it. Again, I appreciate your efforts.

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
Where else can I vent?Please don't go away! :( If I can seek the check book from Momma,I will be sending my 2 cents!)

·
Registered
7 Posts
NEW TO SURF AND PEIR FISHING. HAVE CHECKED MANY DIFFRENT SITES. THIS IS THE BEST. THANK YOU FOR SHARING WITH THE NEWBIE.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Sand Flea you make this site better and better all the time.Your hard work is more than commendable ;) .Next year I'll donenate some money to this site.

·
Registered
7,081 Posts
Sandflea...This site is just like family to me. Your efforts are appreciated beyond words. Thanks.

Catman.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts