Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys;

I normally fish the southern NC Coast (Fort Fisher, Carolina Beach) because it is within a 4 hour drive of my home here in Columbia, SC. But in the winter the weather starts getting a bit cold, windy and rainy and I am looking for some surf fishing further south where you can drive your 4x4 on the beach.

I know about Daytona, but I a looking for something as far north on the Fla Atlantic coast, hopefully around Jacksonville or towards Savannah.

Any ideas???

·
Registered
416 Posts
Fireline, beach driving is not that plentiful in Florida, but most of it is in NE Florida (GA/FL line heading south = Nassau, Duval & St. Johns counties)

The longest stretch runs from St. Augustine Beach south to Matanzas Inlet --12 miles. That is in St. John's county. North of St. Augustine inlet in Vilano Beach there is a short stretch of drive-on beach.

In Duval County there is Huegonot Park which has some drive-on beach, just north of the St. John's River.

In Nassau County there are stretches on Amelia Island such as: American Beach and around Nassau Sound.

All offer decent fishing during the winter months for the likes of Drum - Red & Black as well as Whiting and a few Sheephead and Flounder. Come on down; from Columbia about five hours to fishing.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You da man and if you want to do some Hatteras style fishing without driving all the way up to the Outer Banks,,,try Fort Fisher, just south of Kure Beach, NC.

It is 4x4 access beach only, has no development, is a bird and wild life sanctuary and is about 4-6 miles long and generally the nearest fisherman is 300-400 yards away if that close...

It is a spit of land and on one side you have the Atlantic ocean and just 200 yards away on the back side you have the Cape Fear River Creek Marshes.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts