Pier and Surf Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
The first 2 houses beyond the seawall have been condemned until further notice. The power meters have been removed to prevent fire in case of collapse. I'm sure the next 3 homes to the south are in danger of being disconnected too. That is a shame but it doesn't merit closing the access.
A good friend fished in that area a couple days ago. he had to lift his cart over the concrete groins to get there. I did notice that the sand between the homes and the seawall seems to have sunk. Especially the last house. could be that the water is undermining the seawall and washing it out.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Nice letter Steve, and if they get enough as you say bombarded then they will take action
I did not notice they took away the meters for safety, have to look next time down there.......

·
Registered
141 Posts
How crowded would the north side of the jetty be this Saturday? And how hard would it be to get a cart from the beach access at the guard shack to the jetty? We normally haul from HBSP to the jetty so walking isn't really a problem. Just wondering about the groins.

·
Registered
5,648 Posts
How crowded would the north side of the jetty be this Saturday? And how hard would it be to get a cart from the beach access at the guard shack to the jetty? We normally haul from HBSP to the jetty so walking isn't really a problem. Just wondering about the groins.
I've never seen it crowded. The houses are Saturday - Saturday rentals so Saturday mornings the beach is usually deserted. At the guard shack, it's just a walk down to the jetty. No groins to go over if you go down the last public access.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi All,

Been following this thread for a while. I will be down in Surfside next week and was hoping to fish the northside jetty. Can anyone provide me with information on where to park and exact walking instructions (beach or road) to the jetty.

Thanks for all you did to get this open.

We've had issues like this in VA past years. Getting groups of fishermen/women to send letters almost always works.

Regards,

Mike

·
Registered
540 Posts
A few public parking places on the right about 1/4 mi before the road ends. I think it's Dolphin Ave. Park and walk back to the guard shack. Beach access is right before the guard shack. You can walk beach all the way to the jetty. DO NOT BE THERE ON HIGH TIDE.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just talked to Bruce at the guard shack...He said the same as you...THANKS!!

Do not be there??? do you mean do not go too far out on the jetty before high tide. Looks like it gets cutoff.

Does the beach disappear at high tide? no access back???

Thanks

·
Registered
540 Posts
There will be no beach at high tide. You could be walking in 2 to 3 ft of water for a 1/2 mile. Been there done that. Not fun pulling a fishing cart.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Beach access is closed again. Went by Sunday it is blocked off and the rocks are pilled up at the bottom of the steps.
I had to lift the cart over the fence and walk the seawall. They wont keep me from the jetty.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts