Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went there a few weeks ago and was unable to gain access. Sent an email to Georgetown County Park and Recreation and this is what I got... I have been going there for the past 2 years and I have never or seen anyone get hurt at the access. Build back up again????? guess this means that we won't have access for years. What do you guys think?

Renee M Church <[email protected]>
9:55 AM (2 minutes ago)

to me
Mr. Webster, I received your voice mail regarding the beach access located on S. Waccamaw Drive and I have inquired about the access being blocked. I was informed that the access was blocked by Georgetown County due to the severe erosion at the base of the staircase which could be a danger to anyone using the access. It will remain closed until the sand builds back up again. I hope this clears up the matter for you.

Renee' M. Church
Administrative Assistant
Georgetown County
Parks & Recreation
Telephone: 843-545-3532
Facsimile: 843-545-3396

·
Registered
579 Posts
seems like a easy way for them to reply, however that sand will never build back up without human assistance....I thought that was the
purpose of those big ass rocks at the bottom of the steps...

·
Registered
335 Posts
You could write the lady back and ask her what if one of those houses had an erosion problem?? Would they be able to build the sand backup?? Would the people have to move out of those houses because of the hazards??? Didn't think so. I asked the same question about 2 months ago. CAN YOU SPELL POLITICIANS???? If I had the time I would climb over that access and go fishing. Bring a kayak on shore From the South Side jetty And go fishing. If people come to confront you get your camera out and start filming. Send to secure website in case you need it for proof.
Kim

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You could write the lady back and ask her what if one of those houses had an erosion problem?? Would they be able to build the sand backup?? Would the people have to move out of those houses because of the hazards??? Didn't think so. I asked the same question about 2 months ago. CAN YOU SPELL POLITICIANS???? If I had the time I would climb over that access and go fishing. Bring a kayak on shore From the South Side jetty And go fishing. If people come to confront you get your camera out and start filming. Send to secure website in case you need it for proof.
Kim
I sent her another email yesterday, but I have not heard back from her. It's a shame that they closed the access. One of my favorite fishing spots.

·
Registered
74 Posts
perhaps posting the email address of the person we need to contact would help us all send some letters. I know i like to fish at the jetties, but i don't enjoy going over the sea walls.

·
Super Moderator
3,417 Posts
I'm going to sticky this, because it is relevant to several of our forum folks who like to fish that stretch of beach and who have used (and hopefully will soon be able to continue to use) that access.

. . . .Would the people have to move out of those houses because of the hazards??? Didn't think so. . . .
Uhm. That could very well be the case at some point if something's not done about that erosion. I remember when you could walk all the way to the point on high tide with plenty of room. That is not the case now. It is literally a shifting strip of sand.

I'm curious as to how much that stretch of beach has receded over the past say twenty years, and I'd be interested to hear from someone who is a "local" who's been there a good while (skink, beady, or others) who'd probably hear more from locals or maybe even be a tad more observant of the overall deal and its progression than those of us who only get a chance to visit more infrequently. I'm betting things won't look the same there in ten or fifteen years (e.g., North Topsail, NC - Link - one of many similar articles - note: these were second row homes ten years ago and city has cut off utilities now). There's a lot for sale oceanfront in Inlet Pointe right now, but I'll bet the newer building codes are insane.

I'm not defending the politicians on this one, but if that access is indeed unsafe and somebody is injured and the county knew the situation and didn't try to remedy it, the liability issue would be tremendous.

I don't know this first-hand, but I'd say flood insurance in Inlet Pointe on any new real estate sale is a no-go (would have to go FEMA), given some of the full moon high tides, and a wind rider on a H/O policy being pretty much nonexistent east of 17 unless it's grandfathered in. I'm certainly not defending the resident "prickery" of what some folks might have encountered, but then again, I have no clue what I'd be like if I had $1m+ to put into something and know if something happens, I'd have to eat it. I might be a tad "territorial" as well. BTW, that is a problem I wish I had. :D

I'd also be curious to know to what extent those groins have maybe kept it from getting worse than it is oceanside.

Again, I'm going to sticky this. Good, relevant information. :)

·
Registered
176 Posts
Thanks for posting RJ. I walked out there in March and it wasn't any worse than that. I think it was 4 years ago, may be 5, that I took a picture of my daughters standing on the groin at this spot. The sand then was dead even with the top of it. By the next year it was higher than my head to the top of the groin. If I can find the picture I will post it. Until that sea wall falls we will be cut off from a public beach. I think I will contact Georgetown.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Here is the picture I was referring to. The picture of my daughters standing on the groin was taken in August of 2011. This is the one at the access point where the golf cart parking was. The picture of me with the drum is from May of 2013 but the amount of sand missing is about the same. I don't see how those houses can stand another big storm. When the sea wall is gone we will be back in business.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Every time I go it looks different, I only go about 5-6 times a year mostly in the fall an early winter.
In storm season the tidal pool between the groins gets very very deep from what I've seen

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
I learned to surf fish on that beach. there were just a few of us that fished there. Woody Joye, Mr Tindal, Greg Eaton, The Reynolds family and me. That would be around 1978. The first house when you got onto the beach is where the eighth house now stands. There were only 5 homes on the ocean front.

We would park along the road in front of the guard house. I got to be good friends with the man and lady that lived in a blue, multi level house next to the beach access. They owned a print shop in Surfside beach. They would let me and Woody park in their driveway and we repaid them with pompano. The path to the beach was cut through a 20-30 foot sand dune. When you walked the beach, you could not see the homes. Hurricane Hugo flattened the dunes and they never returned.

We never knew that there was a concrete seawall at the beach access. It was buried under the dunes. We knew the groins were there, Back then they were wood, but we only occasionally saw the tops of them after a storm. At high tide, the beach was almost as wide as the groins are long. There was a pretty serious drop off in the water too. Going out in the water 50 feet in the water was generally too deep to touch the bottom. The sand bar that is currently created by the groins was present back then also.

The jetty was generally buried in sand also. Until Hugo, we never realized how far the jetty went back onto the beach. If you climb up on the rocks, there is a rock that has concrete poured over it. It has two holes drilled into it. Those holes held a sign that warned of underwater obstruction and submerged rock. I happen to know the man that salvaged that sign. We could walk the sand right up to that sign and lean our fishing rods against it.

As I understand it, Neal Ammonds poured the rocks at the beach access ILLEGALLY. I find it disgusting that our access has been cut off because of an illegal act of an idiot. I think he should be responsible for fixing the beach access. I have begun a bombardment of the county in protest of the closing. We as taxpayers own the beaches, and if you think about it, we pay extra for our fishing license and that gives us more right to be there. I have been fishing that stretch of beach for way too long for a couple of rocks to keep me off of it. I am finishing a letter to send to all of the county employees and to Gov. Haley in protest of a beach closing.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
here is my message to Georgetown county and their response

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Thursday, June 04, 2015 7:36 AM
To: Renee M Church
Subject: Beach Access closing in Garden City

I don't understand why the beach access in front of the guard house at inlet
point has been closed. We have been enjoying and fishing that stretch of beach
since 1977. I heard that it was because of the rocks at the base of the steps.
Those rocks have been exposed for several years and it never bothered anyone.
Now suddenly its an issue. We as residents of South Carolina own our beautiful
beaches and not having access to the jetty area is unacceptable to us.

There are other beach accesses near that area but the groins do not allow us to
get to the jetty.

As I understand it, those rocks were put there illegally. Why isn't the person
that dumped them fined, and forced to fix the problem.

We love that stretch of beach and are very upset with this occurrence. My
position as a manager of a fishing and hunting store gives me access to a large
number of outdoorsmen and we are spreading the word about this closing. We are
also sending mail to Gov Haley.

I look forward to hearing a response from Georgetown County

Thank You
Steve Chanilo

response
Mr. Chanilo,

The closure of this access is temporary. Staff are monitoring the situation and
seeking potential solutions daily. As you know conditions on the beaches change
drastically - often hourly. The current situation at this location was due to a
recent tropical storm event. When the access was closed it was due to safety
concerns due to storm erosion causing a significant drop off at the end of the
access to the beach.

It is our plan to reopen this access as soon as it can be used safely.

Beth Goodale

Sent: Thursday, June 04, 2015 12:08 PM
To: Beth Goodale
Cc: Paul Battaglino
Subject: FW: Beach Access closing in Garden City

Sent: Thursday, June 04, 2015 7:36 AM
To: Renee M Church
Subject: Beach Access closing in Garden City

I don't understand why the beach access in front of the guard house at inlet
point has been closed. We have been enjoying and fishing that stretch of beach
since 1977. I heard that it was because of the rocks at the base of the steps.
Those rocks have been exposed for several years and it never bothered anyone.
Now suddenly its an issue. We as residents of South Carolina own our beautiful
beaches and not having access to the jetty area is unacceptable to us.

There are other beach accesses near that area but the groins do not allow us to
get to the jetty.

As I understand it, those rocks were put there illegally. Why isn't the person
that dumped them fined, and forced to fix the problem.

We love that stretch of beach and are very upset with this occurrence. My
position as a manager of a fishing and hunting store gives me access to a large
number of outdoorsmen and we are spreading the word about this closing. We are
also sending mail to Gov Haley.

I look forward to hearing a response from Georgetown County

Thank You
Steve Chanilo

·
Registered
176 Posts
A couple of years ago the guard at the shack was watching me fish. He told me that the guy who owns the first several houses on the beach front had the rocks dumped. He said he actually moved the sign so the dump truck could get there. Not sure if that is the guy you mentioned or not Steve.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts