Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Weakfish data ● The 5 highest years of North Carolina weakfish landings average 16.3 million pounds. ● The last 2 years of weakfish landings data (2019-2020) show average landings of 0.1 million pounds, less than 1% of the 5-year peak. ● Shrimp trawl bycatch is the most significant source of weakfish mortality in North Carolina. ● Historically, weakfish contributed 16%-21% of the annual commercial finfish landing in North Carolina. ● In 2020, the contribution of weakfish to total North Carolina finfish landings was less than 1%. ● Commercial fisheries peaked in 1980 at 36 million pounds, while public anglers removed 26 million pounds in 2000. ● Current landings from the ASMFC indicate commercial landings dropped to 102,492 pounds in 2018, and public anglers harvested 1.3 million pounds. ● Commercial trips are now limited to 100 pounds, and anglers are limited to one fish. The stocks show little sign of recovery, yet their bycatch in non-directed fisheries, especially shrimp trawls, continues unchecked

● The 5 highest years of commercial landings of Atlantic croaker in North Carolina averaged 18.2 million pounds. 4 ● The last 2 years of Atlantic croaker landings data (2019-2020) show average annual landings of 0.53 million pounds, 5% of the 5-year peak harvest. ● The 5 highest years of public landings in North Carolina averaged 1.2 million pounds. ● The last 2 years of Atlantic croaker landings data (2019-2020) indicate average annual landings of 0.3 million pounds (870,000 fish), 17% of the 5-year peak harvest. ● Combined commercial and public harvest peak North Carolina landings show reduced annual landings going from 19.4 million pounds to 0.83 million pounds, a 96% decline. ● Atlantic croaker historically contributed as much as 19%-36% of the annual commercial finfish landed in North Carolina. In 2020, the contribution of Atlantic croaker to total North Carolina finfish landings was 3%. ● Total harvest from Florida to New York peaked in 2001 at 28.6 million pounds and declined to 0.80 million pounds in 2020—a 97% decline. ● Similarly, coastwide public angler landings have declined from 18.9 million pounds in 2003 to 1.8 million pounds in 2019—a 90% decline

ASMFC’s historical hesitancy to develop an interjurisdictional shrimp FMP to reduce shrimp trawl bycatch further is primarily because most of the problem occurs in one state—North Carolina. While ASMFC has always hoped that North Carolina would voluntarily and independently address the situation, that is unlikely to happen. The State’s recent adoption of Amendment 2 to the N.C. Shrimp FMP demonstrates North Carolina’s unwillingness to responsibly regulate the shrimp trawl industry in the best interest of all North Carolinians, much less the interests of citizens in our neighboring states. In comparing even the very lowest finfish bycatch estimates, North Carolina’s shrimp trawl bycatch vastly exceeds the public and commercial harvest of Atlantic croaker, spot and weakfish for the entire East Coast (Table 2). Because each of these three stocks is collapsed or collapsing, it’s unlikely that these species and others adversely impacted by excessive shrimp trawl bycatch (blue crab, Southern flounder and kingfishes stocks) can achieve even short-term harvest sustainability. It is virtually impossible that any of these species will achieve long-term viability absent responsible regulation of the North Carolina shrimp trawl fishery by DMF.

· Registered
453 Posts
Cooper promised to address this. The night he was elected it was removed from his reelection web site..All in all he is a political hack that appointed a commission that has left us stranded for the last 6 years. NOTHING changes until that Jacka$$ is gone. Even then you cannot depend on anything to happen for the good. As a result I am going to Florida this spring instead of the OBX.

· Registered
61 Posts
The NC division of Fisheries has a long long history partisan politics and refusal to constrain commercial fisheries, especially bycatch.
Back in the early 1990s I worked for the VA Marine Resources Commission and invented, patented and tested an "escape panel"
made of very heavy guage plastic aquaculture netting intended to let small weakfish and other species escaped unharmed from pound nets.
Beth Burns of NCDMF invited me to come down to Manteo to help them set up and test it in their Pamlico sound pound net fishery
It was a huge success, both in VA and in NC, at letting small weakfish (grey trout) and many many other species escaped unharmed
When Beth started telling people this she was immediately silenced by her superiors at NCDMF.
Needless to say, neither VA or NC ever enacted a requirement to install the panels.
In VA 60% of the weakfish catch came from pond nets but much of that was fish under 10".
The escape panels would have largely eliminated that bycatch of small unmarketable trout, but politics killed it
David Boyd

· Registered
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The NC division of Fisheries has a long long history partisan politics and refusal to constrain commercial fisheries, especially bycatch.
Back in the early 1990s I worked for the VA Marine Resources Commission and invented, patented and tested an "escape panel"
made of very heavy guage plastic aquaculture netting intended to let small weakfish and other species escaped unharmed from pound nets.
Beth Burns of NCDMF invited me to come down to Manteo to help them set up and test it in their Pamlico sound pound net fishery
It was a huge success, both in VA and in NC, at letting small weakfish (grey trout) and many many other species escaped unharmed
When Beth started telling people this she was immediately silenced by her superiors at NCDMF.
Needless to say, neither VA or NC ever enacted a requirement to install the panels.
In VA 60% of the weakfish catch came from pond nets but much of that was fish under 10".
The escape panels would have largely eliminated that bycatch of small unmarketable trout, but politics killed it
David Boyd
Wow
Nice try to help the situation. THANKS

· Registered
818 Posts
Had a friend who I met at North Topsail beach about 15 yrs. ago, he retired in a little town called Currie, NC just outside of Wilmington, NC, he fished almost every day somewhere in the area, not just the surf but backwaters too. As we fished together one day watching 5 net boats out of Sneads Ferry going back and forth not far off the beach he said he had enough of this ''no catching'' and pointed to the net boats, he did not just go to Florida, he moved to the Palm Coast in Florida. I would talk with him and he said how much better the fishing was there and wanted me to come down, unfortunately I never made it , and he passed away after only being there 2 years. These net boats besides ruining our fishing are ruining their own livelihood, greed and stupidity at its finest, makes no sense....pop.

· Registered
818 Posts
It has nothing to do with voting!

Politician’s are crooked and will say or do what ever they need at a given time to look good in the public’s eye or get what they want.

Von
Indeed!....and for your reading enjoyment, Pelosi will receive at least $174K for being a congress person, $223.5K as speaker of the house, $193.4K as minority leader, free medical, this is all annually and for life, and I'm sure I missed something, a deployed soldier receives approx. $38K annually. Politicians represent themselves and colleagues, not the people!

· Registered
453 Posts
Considering this as well, mind saying where ? (roughly), which coast ? What are you targeting ?
Was looking at the Destin area in the past, but know little about it.
Thanks Retired,
A
Sorry I missed your question. Sort of a combo trip. Stopping by Savannah for a few days on way down. We are going 8 miles south of St Augustine. I'm more interested in pompano and have always did well in that area early in May. Its not the Outer Banks but honestly the fishing has sucked at least for me the past several Springs I have went. Its weather related to a degree with some bad luck in that department. We will do our normal 2-3 weeks in the Fall I hope. Plus I may try a early June trip to the OB. As my name says.............retired. I intend to not leave this earth not having fun.

· Registered
335 Posts
Sorry I missed your question. Sort of a combo trip. Stopping by Savannah for a few days on way down. We are going 8 miles south of St Augustine. I'm more interested in pompano and have always did well in that area early in May. Its not the Outer Banks but honestly the fishing has sucked at least for me the past several Springs I have went. Its weather related to a degree with some bad luck in that department. We will do our normal 2-3 weeks in the Fall I hope. Plus I may try a early June trip to the OB. As my name says.............retired. I intend to not leave this earth not having fun.
No prob, thanks !
So, you are familiar with that area of Fl.
Assume you drive down. Do you camp ? or have a place to stay ? rent ?
We are considering driving with a small camper. Any camp areas you know of around there ?
Never been that far down the coast, wife's eyes are getting bis as we speak, :).
Little over 12 hr. from here.
I'll try to stay in touch with you regarding your adventure.
Thanks !

· Registered
31 Posts
No prob, thanks !
So, you are familiar with that area of Fl.
Assume you drive down. Do you camp ? or have a place to stay ? rent ?
We are considering driving with a small camper. Any camp areas you know of around there ?
Never been that far down the coast, wife's eyes are getting bis as we speak, :).
Little over 12 hr. from here.
I'll try to stay in touch with you regarding your adventure.
Thanks !
We live about 5 miles north of St Augustine.
Like Retired said, the pompano fishing is good April-May though it all depends on the water temperature. If the water warms up too fast, the pompano will continue north and be gone mostly by mid May.

There are a couple RV camp sites between St Augustine and Crescent beach; Ocean Grove RV resort and Bryn Mawr ocean resort. Never camped at either but that whole stretch of beach is 4x4 drivable down to Matanzas inlet.
Anastasia state park to the north has camping but not a great beach for Pompano. Too flat.

My favorite is further north, above Jacksonville.
Little Talbot Island. Can’t drive on the beach but there’s camping there as it’s a state park also and a nice one. Beaches can get busy when Pompano are running but here there’s miles of empty beaches to stretch out.

· Registered
335 Posts
We live about 5 miles north of St Augustine.
Like Retired said, the pompano fishing is good April-May though it all depends on the water temperature. If the water warms up too fast, the pompano will continue north and be gone mostly by mid May.

There are a couple RV camp sites between St Augustine and Crescent beach; Ocean Grove RV resort and Bryn Mawr ocean resort. Never camped at either but that whole stretch of beach is 4x4 drivable down to Matanzas inlet.
Anastasia state park to the north has camping but not a great beach for Pompano. Too flat.

My favorite is further north, above Jacksonville.
Little Talbot Island. Can’t drive on the beach but there’s camping there as it’s a state park also and a nice one. Beaches can get busy when Pompano are running but here there’s miles of empty beaches to stretch out.
Valuable info ! ! Thanks ! (y)
I will look into those options, for sure.
Cheers !
:)

· Registered
2,911 Posts
Orange Man gets $400K for life for fu...g up America and sleeping in four four years after a brutal late night twittering whilst building a couple dozen miles of Wall which Mexico decided not to pay for. 10,000 years from now Humans or Aliens will come across a couple miles of 40 foot in-destructable steel walls (which by the way cannot be penetrated by humans unless they are Hispanic contractora equipped with a battery powered Dewalt Grinder with a cut off blade from Home Depot) and the Aliens will wonder WTF?

Charged Secret Service $100 for a Hamburger lunch platter with Malt, charged the Agents $100 to use one golf cart for a day and they needed like a dozen or so every time Fatboy headed to the links. Charged the Agents for about anything he could charge them for.

Eric Trumpski quote "We only charge Secret Service what it costs to maintain the room with Maid Service" which equated to $650 per room per agent per night at Mar LaOrango or Bedmunster Golf Club NJ.

I never understood practice casting with anything but aerodynamic Lead or Stingsilvers which are lead and over water.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts