Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you do not already now the pier is closed for a few weeks..I was told approx two by one of the workers..They are doing some reconstruction on it and are replacing some of the bad wood..I will keep what news that I get posted..

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update on the status of the ier..
They are still replacing boards and railings..The workman that I talked to said that they expect to be at it for a couple weeks..
ALSO the plumbing in the building froze and it is a mess..They have to repair that before they open.

NEW RESTRICTIONS: Actually these started last August but will be strictly enforced this year..They only large cooler allowed will be for the keeping of fish..(Should makethe other people enjoy the fishermen right).
The other type coolers can be just large enough to hold a six pack and sandwich..No large coolers or containers will be allowedThe reason given was the condition that people were leaving the area when they left...
So I was told around three weeks yet..
I will keep people informed..

ALSO: There has been enough time for the new rock breakwaters to start housing fish so hopefully we can see some fish caught off the rocks..

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
Would be nice if they enacted the same rules for Matapeake Pier. There is always garbage on the pier and all the trash pails (all two of them) are overflowed. One small breeze and all the trash goes back into the bay. :(

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
You should have seen all the trash in the water at Metapeake Fiday night. There was a hardhat (not hardhead), an oil container, and large floating styrofoam thing, etc.

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
And when I tell the DNR Police about it they tell me "Thats a city responsibility. We're not responsible." They (DNR) also told me that if the pier doesn't stay clean, the city will close it down.

Talk about lazy! They need to put out more than two cans and have them picked up on a regular basis.

The policy that SPSP has "pick it up when you leave" has not really worked too well. I always find bags of trash (in the SPSP plastic bags that they give you at the toll plaza) on the beach.

Anyway - Guess it's up to us fisherpersons to keep the pier, beach and the bay clean... ;)

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Husky,
When I say rock breakers I mean the rocks that they put out on both sides of the pier to form a break water..They should have been in the water long enough to start supporting some fish..
One other thing that they will be enforcing at the pier.
And this I agree with..A lot of people last year would clean their fish on the pier..They would cut up baitfish and when they left they would leave the remains laying all over the pier for other people to either clean up or suffer..If a person is caught this year he will be asked to stop and if not he will be asked to leave..

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
did they put the rock breakers in when they put up the boat slips? I don't remember them.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Yeah, that has been a major problem over the years I've been fish'n NBP. They have the second tier level on the rails to cut your bait to do your hook ups, but people still don't get it. Before long the charge per rod will go up and then they'll have a guard posted to make sure you're following the rules: No loud music, No Alcohol, No Children running/playing... to name only a few. I hope it's a lot better this season. We'll see.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes they put them in about the same time.. They are supposed to put out extra garbage cans this year..With the little market torn down I do not know how they will handle the parking..The cable is still sunk several yards in front of the pier and people still hang up on it..
A few years ago they were doing some construction on the pier and a barge broke loose..When they caught up to it a cable had fallen off and no one tried to retrieve it andit has been out there all this time..
That is the story I got from the engineers that worked on the pier..
The rock pilings start towards the beach from the pier and there is approx a twenty foot space for a boat to go through between the pier and the rocks..
I will keep posted..

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
So I could put 100 lb test on my boat rod and try to reel it in? Just kidding.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Husky,
Most of the people that I see hang up are the ones that let their lines drag the bottom when they bring it in..When I fish there I have no prob..I just bring it in fast or let my wife bring it in and then blame her..

I have seen guys go down there with a rig that looks like an old rack with a heavy rope tied on it..They throw it out abd bring in a boat load of harnesses, weights, and even a couple fillet knives.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Still waiting..As long as it rains they cannot do much work..I talked to one of the construction people and they said that when it stopped raining long enough for them to complete their work it should only take about a week..
Hopefully by the end ofnext week they shold be done.
I will bet that the fish are there now. :mad: :mad:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts