Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well the good news is, we backed them down for tonight. The pier was not shut down but now they claim it will shut down Sat. night at 11:00pm, we'll see.

As they left the pier open we did not submit the webpage to the search engins yet. Trust me if the chain go's up this URL will too!

Thanks to all the P&S members that sent in a petition. I'll get the name list up as soon as I can. We need to keep the heat on the NB town council, so if you haven't sent one in please do it.

Here is a preview of the webpage, it's not finished yet but 4 days buys us some time. If you have any suggestion feel free to e-mail me and we'll keep them in mind....Thanks Hat80

Boycott North Beach Maryland

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Very nice site Hat, hopefully this will get their attention.

·
Registered
169 Posts
The webpage is looking good. I hope everything works out for all.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This mornings mail to the board,

To the Mayor and Town Council:

I would like to thank you for not closing the pier last night 07/01/03. I would also like to think this shows a willingness on the towns part to reconsider the issue at hand.

I think the answer to these problems are in your own town code. This is the only version I could find made available to the public via the internet. All you need to do is have the Calvert County Sheriffs dept. enforce your code that's what their paid for.
CODE OF THE
TOWN OF NORTH BEACH,
MARYLAND, v5
Updated through Res. No. 01-08; 10-15-2001
Chapter 37, BOARDWALKS AND PIERS

§ 37-2. Fishing and crabbing. [Added 6-4-1998 by Ord. No. 4-98]

A.It shall be unlawful for anyone to fish or crab off of:

(1)The seawall side of Atlantic Avenue and/or Bay Avenue, either from the seawall, the revetment, the barricade, or from Atlantic Avenue; and

(2)Any section of the boardwalk or appurtenances thereto.

B.Fishing from the pier is limited to two fishing poles per fisherman. From May 1 to October 31 of each year, there will be fees collected for each fishing pole used on the pier by nonresidents of Calvert County over the age of 3 years old during the hours that the Town Welcome Center is open. These fees will be set by the Mayor and Town Council by motion and/or resolution from time to time as deemed necessary. Anyone wishing to fish on the Town of North Beach pier during the above days and hours will be requested to show identification at the Town Welcome Center at the entrance of the pier. Residents of Calvert County will be permitted to fish for free. Nonresidents will be charged the above-referenced fees for two fishing poles. [Amended 5-18-2000 by Ord. No. 7-00; 7-26-2001 by Ord. No. 01-08]

C.Only persons who are actively fishing, with fishing pole(s), or crabbing are allowed on the pier between the hours of 10:00 p.m. and 6:00 a.m.

The other problem I see is that you've sold season passes to nonresidents, that alone is a breach of contract on the towns part. One way or another you need to fix that problem.

The below link is a preview of the Boycott North Beach website. It is only a preview as the whole site has not been published to the internet, as you will see. I'm still willing to do what I can to help solve these problems. However, if a barricade go's up on the pier denying access so will the rest of the website! Thank you

sincerely, Clyde Blake

Boycott North Beach Maryland

·
Registered
232 Posts
NB Pier

Hat80,

Excellent site! Great point made also. To many times the "fix" to a problem is the easy out ( close the pier at night) instead of holding accountable all those who abuse it! My cell phone work wonders if I have a "Jerk alert" for the local police. ;) We are all with you!

Macman

·
Registered
270 Posts
HAT80, why don't you and some of your local supporters get together with video and digital cameras along with cell phones and stake out the pier area? Everytime you see someone breaking the law, take a pic and dial the local law and report them. Film them in action take stills of license plates and post on the web site. Enough publicity and they will have to do something besides blame the fishermen.

However, if it indeed is the fishermen, like here in Va Beach at the Lesner Bridge, a pound of lead might work!

Again good luck!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts