Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here you can post everything you know about salt water fish species around North American continent (east coast, west coast and gulf of Mexico):

So far I know only few:

Bluefish and Striped Bass were first I've learnt relatively recently. I've heard for Lady Fish too. Just yesterday I've heard for Sheepshead and Scup.

Well it's not much but at least I know something....

·
Registered
25 Posts
Up here in RI the main species in the surf are stripers and blues.Scup,blackfish(tautog),fluke(summer flounder) are as common.There are other species but those are what most target.If you're heading offshore that's a whole other boat so to speak!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It seems there is another species of Spanish Mackerel named 'Narrow Barred Spanish Mackerel'. I was wondering how to make difference between two....

Narrow Barred Spanish Mackerel:
(Scomberomorus Commerson)

Regular Spanish Mackerel:
(Scomberomorus Maculatus)

They are very simmilar. If I were to catch one, I really wouldn't be sure which one I've caught.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
In addition to that there is also 'King Mackerrel'. I've read that jouvenille King Mackerrels also have yellow dots. If that's true than I guess one really needs to have experience to distinct them all:

King Mackerel:
(Scomberomorus Cavalla)

·
Registered
322 Posts
Young king mackerel look a lot like Spanish. The easiest way to know the difference is the pronounced dip in the lateral line of the king.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
^This would be very hard for me since I do not have first hand experience with these fish.... I've seen these fish only on Google, lol....

In real life I've seen only Atlantic Mackerel and Atlantic Chub Mackerel which are smaller cousins of King and Spanish from what I understand.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts