Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question for you guys. I live in Virginia Place right over by the zoo. My neighborhood is surround by water on 2 sides, but I cannot find any place that I am allowed to fish from the shore. Is there any place in this area that you can fish from the shore? Sometimes I just want to throw a few baits after work without having to go all the way up to Lynnhaven inlet. There are so many rules about where you can and can't fish around the area, I really don't want to get a poaching ticket.

Here is a map of the area I am talking about.
http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=36.904676,-76.295843&spn=0.04118,0.062742&t=h&z=14

·
Banned
969 Posts
ive caught many a spec while fishin' from my kayak around the granby st. bridge.ive always seen people fishin from the shore there, so im sure there is access . hope this helps. plenty of striped fish in there with live bait also;)

·
Registered
265 Posts
Norfolk has made it difficult for the shore fisherman. But guys have always fished by the boat ramp, the last time I was back there several years ago it was full of biting flies. So take some bug spray. Always lots of really big Croakers back there.

·
Registered
265 Posts
According to your Map it is just south of La Valette blow up the map and you can see it. It is not 38th street on the east side of Gramby.

·
Super Moderator
2,093 Posts
there is a pier underneath the east side of the Granby St Bridge.

Also, the old, rarely used boat ramp you referred to as 38th St. As Suavea said it's really just south of La Valette.

Ain't no feesh there....;)

OV/Willoughby is a short run too...

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, again though, with Ocean View I am not sure where you are allowed to park, what is private property, what is not private property. Don't want to get in any trouble, so I tend to go to the places I know are ok. I need to hire an ocean view guide who can show me where I can fish legally and not get my car broken in to.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I grew up here (1970) I can remember fishing from Ocean View to the Atlantic Ocean. Now I own my own boat and I catch fish. If you need a shore fisher's guide to show you around let me know I'm dirt cheep. I'm available to fish almost anytime I want to because my wife understands my passion. But if you know how to use Google Earth I can be real percise with you and give you coordinates to these locations? :popcorn:

Is this what you guys were doing when I was cleaning a 5lbs Striper I caught out of that same water from the banks? And not under the Gramby St Bridge? :cool:

·
Registered
277 Posts
If you are fishing Granby street you could park on Columbus Ave. The neighborhood is not bad at all-and you could walk to the bridge. For Ocean View (Willoughby Split Jetty) you could park on the bus turnaround on West Ocean View. :fishing:

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I know google earth, and would appreciate any help on spots I could get. I only moved to Norfolk about 2 years ago, and have been going out to the ocean front almost the entire time I have been here.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Numbers

Here are a few spots I will give you. There are a few I can't.
Willoughby Spit N36 58 10.51 W76 17 49.51 Park along the east side of 15th View walk towards the steps leading to the beach and turn left and head towards the rocks. You will meet other P&S guys eventually.

Lynhaven Inlet N36 54 29.31 W76 05 25.98 Parking is tuff. As you will see by the coordinates you want to fish this side I have seen many large Speckled Trout, Stripers, Puppy Drum, Flounder, and everything else from that water (Speckles are there now). Waders are needed when the weather gets cold.

There are some other spots but these are productive now. Especially Lynhaven Inlet. Willoughby Spit is better on an incomming tide at night I would think. Just ask on this site before you go to get the latest information.

Good Luck and
Tight Lines:beer::beer::popcorn:

·
Banned
969 Posts
Outgoing = hrbt

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
I spoke with a guy last night who parked at the public boat ramp at Willoughby and caught a 32in. striper from the beach... not sure of the legality but its worth a shot.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts