Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since it's not a level wind; how do you prevent the line from just winding up in the center of the spool?

How much more distance are we talking about, non-level wind vs. a level wind?

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
THE ORIGINAL LEVELWIND LOOKED.........

Just like your thumb. It's a pain in the backside but you can, with some patience, use your thumb to put the line on the reel like you want it as you reel in. Don't like to use this kind when fishing at night (DRUM) because it's hard to see, so the levelwind takes the worries away for that reason. It does take some distance off your cast so I guess it's a trade-off.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Orest:
I have a 12' Okuma heaver and a Penn Squidder on it. Ive thrown many level-winds and many w/o, my heaver on a good cast I can throw almost 185 yards. But with the level-wind maybe 150. The way I look at it, I'd rather take the time moving myfinger back and forth across the spool when reeling in then not getting my bait far enough out; and trust me that happens.Well good luck fishing and have a great holiday. Write me back on your opinion on the 2 reels.

·
Registered
801 Posts
i don't know, demonfish

when i taught tommy to throw conventional, i sent him home with a penn 545 and told him to practice-practice-practice and you know what a casting monster that created. learn on a beast become a beast. ha ha
charlie

1 - 7 of 7 Posts