Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i was able to make it out to NOB on wednesday and fished from around 3:30 to 9:30. I was using fishbites squid and bloodworm but was not hooking anything. Someone gave me a a blue for cut bait and that turned things around for me. I caught another blue almost immediately and tried to give it back to the gentleman that gave me the first fish but he declined because he had plenty. I kept catching puffers like it was going out of style. Once a friend showed up, he let me use the minnows he had as bait. Caught a few speckled trout off of those and then i caught a monster croaker at 15 inches. That thing put up a good fight and i was amazed on how big he was. Bigger than all of the other fish i caught. I think i was getting some bites from flounder while i was out there but no hook ups. I used my jig a majority of the time while i was fishing and did pretty well. Its always a good day when the wifey lets me go fishing. Turned my trout and croaker into a nice tasty dinner.

oDaa

·
Registered
486 Posts
It's always good to have frozen squid bait around as back up. Pending your fishbites isn't working. But for me I normally cut up croakers or throw them back as live bait if I catch one. It normally leads me to bigger fish.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I usually have enough bait but i didnt prepare for the day. I do have shrimp in ny freezer from the last time i came out. I usually do cut up a fish i catch but i wasnt doing that great. Luckily my friend let me use his minnows when he got to the pier. I was reading online about hook ups with flounder and i know i had a few hook ups.

Thanks for the advice marv

oD

OD

·
Registered
96 Posts
I was just out at the pier today at NOB. I got there at around 10:00 am. I wasn't fishing (I'm at work) but I stopped and talked to a couple of guys out there. They were pulling in Blues and Specks back to back. They were using live minnows.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yea thats pretty much what i was catching when i was there. When i was using the cut bait i was getting puffer fish and toadfish.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts