Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I caught a few keeper bluegill, and this pretty large pickerel on the little tube bait under a bobber. Fish Fish Common rudd Perch Bony-fish
Fish Fish Bony-fish Cyprinidae Tail
Fish Fish Bass Trout Coregonus lavaretus
Orange Asphalt Play Soil

·
Registered
4,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
WOW!!! That's LUNKER. WTG Andy. I have a super recipe for baked pickerel..
Can you post it catman? I am getting ready to hit the creek in a little while. Todays order is for keeper bluegill for my neighbor. But I' sure a few pickerel will hit my little tube bait.

·
Registered
7,090 Posts
Can you post it catman? I am getting ready to hit the creek in a little while. Todays order is for keeper bluegill for my neighbor. But I' sure a few pickerel will hit my little tube bait.
Andy I'll post it this evening. Down my marina now checking my boat. BTW you've got a lucky neighbor - fresh fish almost daily.

·
Registered
4,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
wow nice fish. almost makes me want to fish freshwater a shot.
Not really freshwater. It is close to freshwater, but it is brackish water that has high and low tides. All the saltwater fish come up the rivers to spawn in the brackish water. You can catch pickerel in fresh water ponds and lakes also.

·
Registered
4,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's citation size for Maryland!

http://dnr2.maryland.gov/fisheries/Pages/challenge/index.aspx

Does your neighbor eat 5 pounds of fish everyday??
I am new to this little town. I just moved from FL. in May last year. My neighbor is the only person I know that like to eat fish. I am sure he knows other poor/older people that like to eat fish. I use to sell rockfish. If you ever eat rockfish around Kent Island, Kent Narrows, might have been caught by me. Now I enjoy giving people free fish, and take pictures. Believe it or not, but I like not having a boat anymore and playing around with these fish.

·
Registered
7,090 Posts
Here you go Andy

FOIL-WRAPPED PICKEREL WITH BACON STUFFING
.1 whole pickerel, butterflied or 2 skin-on fillets
1 lemon, cut into wedges
Salt and freshly ground pepper

Stuffing:
2 thick slices bacon
1 small onion, diced
1 celery stalk (with leaves), diced
1 garlic clove, minced
Half sweet green pepper, diced
1 tablespoon minced fresh sage and/or thyme
Salt and freshly ground pepper
6 slices day-old white sandwich bread
1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
2 tablespoons melted butter
1/4 teaspoon dried poultry seasoning

Stuffing: In skillet, fry bacon until edges are crispy. Drain on paper towels; dice and set aside. Add onions and cook over medium heat until softened and slightly golden, about 7 minutes. Add celery, garlic, green pepper, salt and pepper; cook until celery is softened, about 5 minutes. Transfer to bowl.

Meanwhile, remove crusts from bread and cut into 1/2-inch cubes. Add to onion mixture along with parsley, poultry seasoning, butter and bacon; toss to combine and moisten.

Place 1 fillet, skin side down, on greased 24-inch long piece of heavy-duty foil; place other fillet on cutting board. Squeeze 1 lemon wedge over each fillet; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Spread stuffing evenly over fillet on foil; top with remaining fillet, skin side up. Wrap tightly; overwrap, seam side down, in second piece of foil.

Bake in 400°F oven directly on oven rack (or, using indirect heat on your barbeque) until fish flakes easily when tested and stuffing is moist with crusty edges, about 25 minutes. Let stand for 2 minutes before unwrapping (to help prevent skin from sticking.) Serve with remaining lemon.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts