Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just moved to CHX BCH from Chesapeake to have more time to go fishing when I get home from work. Sucks to read that nobody on this forum is getting any action from stripers! I remember pulling them in a lot during the summer on Long Island. Anyone know what they're doing off of Sandbridge? I work in Pungo and would like to catch something in these few days left. I tried going today off of the beach at CHX but it stinks when you have the wind in your face, makes for lousy casts on on an 11ft stick. I'm using a 3oz Kastmaster with a bucktail. Maybe I need to use a black eel on a diamond at night? What gives?

·
Banned
1,208 Posts
johnnyleo11,

Welcome to the board and holiday greetings !

Unforetunately. it's been a slow Fall on Rock outside a decent 4 day run of schoolies at the Lesner back few weeks ago and some other sporadic "hot" bites.

If ya been reading other posts, Sandbridge has not happen yet this season and folks are getting anxious :p

As slow as it's been, if you get out at night and have the room around ya, you might want to double rod it soaking bait on one in a rod holder, then wade or beach cast whatever you have in the bucket :D

Spoon like you mention will work as well as Storm wildeye or other plastics, surface popper or a wind cheater if there some up top, or ya can attempt to give'em a wake up call w/a blue & chrome Rattle Trap ;)

Good fishin' & great catches,

`bucket

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What tackle shops does everyone here go to? I've seen a couple on Shore Drive.

·
Administrator
5,774 Posts
I can't believe you didn't see any fish there with the wind in your face. That's usually a sure recipe for stripers stacked one on top of the other there.

I'm partial to Lighthouse and Long Bay Pointe on Shore Dr.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Oceans East 2 has just about everything you'll need. They're located on North Hampton Blvd. And of course there is Bass Pro in Hampton now.:)

·
Registered
862 Posts
Welcome to the board.

Where to you live at Chic's?

and more importantly do you have free parking a stone's throw from the bridge. You can make lots of new friends who will show you how they catch fish with that one. :D :D

Tom

PS Also it is not to late to join the save the lake deal.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, Went to Bass Pro up in Hampton. Stop there when I go up to Denbigh to see my family. I didn't know that Hampton had such a huge redneck side to it's population! Just kidding. I park at my landlord's place where you can hear the cars crossing the bridge from her deck. I didn't know the rent came with free parking in her driveway! I give her a cut of the catch, if it's anything. Is the fishing at the foot of the CBBT that much better than that at Lynnhaven Inlet?

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would have stayed a little longer fishing, but after the front pushed through, it got cold quick and I started losing feeling in my line casting finger. The wind was blowing probably about 15 kts from the west before it changed to the N at a blustery 25 with gusts.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I have to second oceans east 2 on northampton blvd, hands down the best shop around, excellent customer service.

·
Registered
78 Posts
i'll third oceans east II--nice selection and nice guys working there...i've heard some negatives about lighthouse, not to start a rumor, but the last time i was in there was not the most pleasant experience--pretty nice selection tho...last time i was at bubba's tackle shop the guy working was friendly and helpful and he seemed to have a nice bait selection

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
The guys at Ocean's East are nice and it's a plus if you like second hand smoke.

I was not too happy with Lighthouse either but one of the younger dudes working there last time was really pleasant to us.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I think you can get pretty much the same stuff at most of the shops around here, so in my opinion the way they treat their customers distinguishes the good shops from the bad. I only go to lighthouse when I am rushed and dont have the time to go to oceans east. I'm pretty sure they dont smoke in oceans east 2, but they do in the original one.

·
Banned
1,208 Posts
Usually hit Lighthouse and have never had a problem ... good service from staff that fish as well as sell bait & tackle ... no BS or smoke to deal with ... and as far as negatives go, anybody can have a bad night which goes for all of them ?!

Fish, cut bait, or buy tackle,

`bucket

·
Registered
186 Posts
First option is to run to Bubba's, good guys working there and very knowledgable, they have always taken time out to talk with me. I also think they have the best bait in the area. Lighthouse would be my second choice, good selection and have never had any problems there, found the staff friendly.
Tight lines and popped riggers

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
The guys at Ocean's East are nice and it's a plus if you like second hand smoke.
:) Mrs. C2H&G always knows if I've been tackle shopping (which means $$ spent). I come home smelling like an ash tray.

The ones mentioned above all have provided excellent service. I try to hit them on down times so I can shoot the breeze with them.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts