Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
5,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So with the demise of Sufix Tri+ whats everyone going to use. I went to the new Bass Pro here outside of Richmond and was going to try the Momoi Hi-Catch but all they had was 1lb spools. Did not want to spen $41 on something just to try so I passed it up.

This is not a mono vs braid thread so lets stay on mono.

·
Registered
5,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
what you talking about there's tons of the stuff all over...
Is for now but not being made anymore according to Greg's Baitshack

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
ive been using BPS's tightline in 15 and 20.
i like it. its definitely not like trit, but for 5$ for half pound!!?! its a bargain.

my 535mag is loaded with the 20# , its already on its tenth trip out. and i have yet , seen or feel the need to change it.
but when using trit, i had to change about ever 6-8 times out.

go buy a spool or 15 and 20, give it a try. i think youll like it.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
ive been using BPS's tightline in 15 and 20.
i like it. its definitely not like trit, but for 5$ for half pound!!?! its a bargain.

my 535mag is loaded with the 20# , its already on its tenth trip out. and i have yet , seen or feel the need to change it.
but when using trit, i had to change about ever 6-8 times out.

go buy a spool or 15 and 20, give it a try. i think youll like it.

Truth is that stuff is pretty good. Cheap doesn't hurt a bit. Catch it on sale and load up.

Bill:fishing:

·
Registered
76 Posts
bps tightline is awesome. i've used 15# for my main line and 40# for shock leader.i agree with ooeric, it's strong and resilient. only thing is i think it's not in line with igfa, so if you catch a record fish, it won't count.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
they will probably keep making it, they will just call it something else.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Interseting comments on the BPS Tight Line.

I spooled one of my 4/0's with it in 40lb yellow cause I got a 1/2lb spool on sale for $6.

This stuff is tiff and has the memory of an elephant, but it does not break. It must test close to 60lbs!

What do you think, a bad batch, different manufacturer, just related to the test/line diameter?

I would consider it again simply for the price, but Ande Backcountry and Berkely Big Game are my go-to lines right now.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Agree that BPS tight line is strong stuff. Cabelas Salt Striker mono is another good cheap option. It is one of the thinnest mono's I have found per lb/test and holds up well. Ande backcountry is really thick.

·
Registered
506 Posts
The Backcountry is thick because it overtests by about 5lbs. I just drop in line test and it works fine.

I like it because it starts, and stays, pretty supple and I don't need to replace it very often.

·
Registered
88 Posts
the new tight line is made by sufix and is really good stuff for the price. sufix took the contract over from shakespeare, which was still decent line, but it did have alot of memory. i can tell a difference just by looking at it.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Interseting comments on the BPS Tight Line.

I spooled one of my 4/0's with it in 40lb yellow cause I got a 1/2lb spool on sale for $6.

This stuff is tiff and has the memory of an elephant, but it does not break. It must test close to 60lbs!

What do you think, a bad batch, different manufacturer, just related to the test/line diameter?

I would consider it again simply for the price, but Ande Backcountry and Berkely Big Game are my go-to lines right now.
yeah, bps tightline is a little stiff especially in the higher pound tests. interesting to know that the bps tight line is made by sufix.

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
So with the demise of Sufix Tri+ whats everyone going to use. I went to the new Bass Pro here outside of Richmond and was going to try the Momoi Hi-Catch but all they had was 1lb spools. Did not want to spen $41 on something just to try so I passed it up.

This is not a mono vs braid thread so lets stay on mono.
I started using the Momoi high catch in 50# for my shock last winter. I just fished for a week solid and only had to change my shock once because of a nick. Once I go through the 1#spool of Suffix I have now, I am getting Momoi in 17. Stuff seems great, very abrasion resistent.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
momoi is good. but $$$ ive used it in 15 to 25
i find it a bit stretchy though. cant really drive in a sharp hook. even though im swinging like a madman.

·
Registered
5,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I started using the Momoi high catch in 50# for my shock last winter. I just fished for a week solid and only had to change my shock once because of a nick. Once I go through the 1#spool of Suffix I have now, I am getting Momoi in 17. Stuff seems great, very abrasion resistent.
I think I may just bite the bullet and go that way.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts