Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
5,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So with the demise of Sufix Tri+ whats everyone going to use. I went to the new Bass Pro here outside of Richmond and was going to try the Momoi Hi-Catch but all they had was 1lb spools. Did not want to spen $41 on something just to try so I passed it up.

This is not a mono vs braid thread so lets stay on mono.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
ive been using BPS's tightline in 15 and 20.
i like it. its definitely not like trit, but for 5$ for half pound!!?! its a bargain.

my 535mag is loaded with the 20# , its already on its tenth trip out. and i have yet , seen or feel the need to change it.
but when using trit, i had to change about ever 6-8 times out.

go buy a spool or 15 and 20, give it a try. i think youll like it.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
ive been using BPS's tightline in 15 and 20.
i like it. its definitely not like trit, but for 5$ for half pound!!?! its a bargain.

my 535mag is loaded with the 20# , its already on its tenth trip out. and i have yet , seen or feel the need to change it.
but when using trit, i had to change about ever 6-8 times out.

go buy a spool or 15 and 20, give it a try. i think youll like it.

Truth is that stuff is pretty good. Cheap doesn't hurt a bit. Catch it on sale and load up.

Bill:fishing:

·
Registered
76 Posts
bps tightline is awesome. i've used 15# for my main line and 40# for shock leader.i agree with ooeric, it's strong and resilient. only thing is i think it's not in line with igfa, so if you catch a record fish, it won't count.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
they will probably keep making it, they will just call it something else.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Interseting comments on the BPS Tight Line.

I spooled one of my 4/0's with it in 40lb yellow cause I got a 1/2lb spool on sale for $6.

This stuff is tiff and has the memory of an elephant, but it does not break. It must test close to 60lbs!

What do you think, a bad batch, different manufacturer, just related to the test/line diameter?

I would consider it again simply for the price, but Ande Backcountry and Berkely Big Game are my go-to lines right now.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Agree that BPS tight line is strong stuff. Cabelas Salt Striker mono is another good cheap option. It is one of the thinnest mono's I have found per lb/test and holds up well. Ande backcountry is really thick.

·
Registered
506 Posts
The Backcountry is thick because it overtests by about 5lbs. I just drop in line test and it works fine.

I like it because it starts, and stays, pretty supple and I don't need to replace it very often.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Interseting comments on the BPS Tight Line.

I spooled one of my 4/0's with it in 40lb yellow cause I got a 1/2lb spool on sale for $6.

This stuff is tiff and has the memory of an elephant, but it does not break. It must test close to 60lbs!

What do you think, a bad batch, different manufacturer, just related to the test/line diameter?

I would consider it again simply for the price, but Ande Backcountry and Berkely Big Game are my go-to lines right now.
yeah, bps tightline is a little stiff especially in the higher pound tests. interesting to know that the bps tight line is made by sufix.

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
So with the demise of Sufix Tri+ whats everyone going to use. I went to the new Bass Pro here outside of Richmond and was going to try the Momoi Hi-Catch but all they had was 1lb spools. Did not want to spen $41 on something just to try so I passed it up.

This is not a mono vs braid thread so lets stay on mono.
I started using the Momoi high catch in 50# for my shock last winter. I just fished for a week solid and only had to change my shock once because of a nick. Once I go through the 1#spool of Suffix I have now, I am getting Momoi in 17. Stuff seems great, very abrasion resistent.

·
Registered
5,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I started using the Momoi high catch in 50# for my shock last winter. I just fished for a week solid and only had to change my shock once because of a nick. Once I go through the 1#spool of Suffix I have now, I am getting Momoi in 17. Stuff seems great, very abrasion resistent.
I think I may just bite the bullet and go that way.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts