Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so who fishes for flounder after dark? Thinking about trying it this summer. Obviously you need a light but what are your tactics? Cast and wait, cast and retrieve live/dead bait, artificals, or what? Can't gig 'em where I'm going.

·
Registered
124 Posts
ive caught quite a few after dark jigging a live mullet on a pier around the pylons. the bite is pretty soft and takes a bit of finness but well worth the effort. a lot of people hit rudee inlet in the summer months for flounder. there is tons of information on flounder fishing on this forum and highly recommend doing a forum search on flounder. i myself am ready for the flounder bite to come back inshore.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Went to a kayak fishing seminar in Virginia Beach a couple years ago and one guy talked about flounder fishing at night, working the bridge pilons one by one with lures until finding the fish. I recall he liked Spro bucktails.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Have never tried it but see no reason why it wouldn't work well.An area where I fish nights for redfish giggers pass frequently and myself and others walk the shore catching flounder.Will try it at least one night this fall without lights bouncing jigs and minnows.
Jake

·
Registered
5,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Glad to know it works. Fish'n Phil, was he tipping the bucktails with any live/dead bait to give it some more scent? I have a few good places to try when they come back inshore.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Back many, many, many years ago, we would walk the shallow water of the bays at night with a flash light and a frog gig. Never failed. Parents would fillet them and we would have a fish fry the next day.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
I fish for flatties at night sometimes, no light. I still use minnows and squid strips BUT...I take the small glow sticks about 2 inches long. They are sold in small packs. You can find them at party world type stores. They come in several colors. Tie it or use a snap swivel with your leader and you are set.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Yep. I have found that the red and yellow colors work the best for me. They come in blue and green also. I see the young kids with them all the time in theor mouths in the clubs when I bounce. The first time I saw them I thought that they would be good to use for night fishing.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I fish for flatties at night sometimes, no light. I still use minnows and squid strips BUT...I take the small glow sticks about 2 inches long. They are sold in small packs. You can find them at party world type stores. They come in several colors. Tie it or use a snap swivel with your leader and you are set.
I am a little dull in the head and can't figure where you are tying the glow sticks in relation to the bait/jig.
Jake

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
The rig that I use the most, has a squid strip on the bottom and a minnow on a teaser midway up the leader. In between the squid strip and minnow I put a small dropper loop and attach a smal snap swivel and put the glow stick on the swivel. Sort of like a top & Bottom rig but not quite the same. I have different variations of this rig for specific spots I fish.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Thanks RuddeDogg will try the light strips this fall.The way I do flounder fishing when I don't have minnows is use 3/8 oz. jig with plastic,usually catch a lizzardfish,fillet it and put a strip on the jig along with the plastic if the hook is big enough,seems to increase the hits.
Jake

·
Premium Member
3,417 Posts
Rudde, that is a really good idea! Are you talking about the little glow sticks that clip on a lanyard or something like that (daughter was describing them to me)? I've never seen them to my knowledge, but I'll look around.

Thanks!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.