Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
Hmm, interesting reel. It has elements of a Pro Gear, a 525 Mag and an Abu. It seems that the left side plate is a quick detach, similar in design to a Squidder or Jigmaster. That would be a nice feature as it would make servicing the bearings much easier. The freespool release is a lever instead of a button, which would eliminate accidental gear engagements. I don't know about the chrome plated alloy frame paired with graphite side plates, though. An interesting reel to be sure, but I have a strong feeling that it's made in China, with a mishmash of internal design.

·
Registered
5,350 Posts
patent must be up on the Sport Mag. There's no way it will ever be a Swedish Abu.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
I agree that it is a nice looking reel, but does the price tag of $250.00 give or take $5 plus shipping deter you from wanting one? Heck, my OM Cape form NTKG and my Daiwa 30 SHV from Cdog combined didn't cost me anywhere near that amount, and I didn't have to pay shipping. That kind of money would be grounds for divorce if my wife found out I spent that on a reel.

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
Well if Neil is there:). It appears to be a Brit design. I'm down with it as soon as I find the extra coin. I'm sure I will see one in the not to distant future. I would suspect it's performance will be worth the money.

·
Registered
5,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What Digger said

If Neil had a hand in the design, it will perform and be worth the $$$$.

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
Neil had a hand in the 525 Mag IIRC, but it's got its issues as well. The clicker flat out sucks, and the drag leaves a bit to be desired, although it isn't nearly as bad as an older stock Abu. If the clicker and drag are updated, this will probably be a killer reel. Just can't justify the price when there are reels available in the US that are as good or better than this one.

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
IMHO, the trouble with this reel from Grey's is that although the design may be good (and I think it is), I fear the execution is probably subpar. Just looking at the pictures alone, I can see that it lacks the level of "refinement" in an Abu, Daiwa or Penn. Like I said, probably "Made in China" by a company that's building to a list of specs (and a price point) without having a genuine understanding of how a reel should work. Every feature on the reels looks to be reverse engineered from an existing reel, not necessarily designed to work together. The performance might be decent (but then again it may not due to lousy bearings, poor tolerances, and mediocre workmanship), but for how long?

As far as the clicker goes, if this is an "Ultracast" type of reel with inboard spool bearings, the clicker will probably suck as well. This is due to the design of the clicker cog, which are usually plastic. Plastic cogs don't lend themselves to loud clicking, unlike metal ones found on a Daiwa, which do not have inboard spool bearings. I think that in order to make an Ultracast spool in a reel with a metal clicker cog would require a good bit more engineering and machining. I doubt the Grey's reel has that.

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
Basstardo the Penn 525MAg is a HT100 drag. Which is better than the Diawa IMHO. If you are having problems there, check the installation. I will never for get Mike Vaughan fighting a car hood with mine, he really like the drag and he laided the heat on.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Digger you're usually on target, but the 525 drags are awful, especially compared to the Daiwa's.

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
I gotta agree with Clyde. The drags can definitely put some pressure on a fish, but the problem is when make a run and take some line. Mine was almost as bad as a stock Abu. I've cleaned the drag out, and even greased the drag washers. It helped a little, but it still sucks.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Couple of things I dont understand

Why put a 5.1 gear ratio in it....I have had drum hall butt in at me and the only way I kept up with him was 6.3:1 drag. I know some like the slower gear for more power but I would rather have the speed to keep up with a fish coming in.

Next issue. Why use the graphite end plates? I would love to see a mag adjustable reel like this with all alluminum frame and end plates that is not an abu.

Last issue...Drop the slidey and go with a knobby similar to the 525 super extra mag.

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
Latest thing I read was Neil did NOT have a hand in designing this, and it was a done deal before he started working for H&G. Personally, I'd rather have an Abu or a Saltist.

·
Registered
5,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
There 3 ways to stack the drag washers

I gotta agree with Clyde. The drags can definitely put some pressure on a fish, but the problem is when make a run and take some line. Mine was almost as bad as a stock Abu. I've cleaned the drag out, and even greased the drag washers. It helped a little, but it still sucks.
on HT 100 drag system.

http://www.pennfishingstore.com/penn-graphite-gs-reels.html

See link. Scroll down until you the pic of the drag washers spacing chart.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts