Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good afternoon all, looking for some advice on improving my surf fishing game. I've followed and read a great deal of information on this forum (23 pages on the riverrig anyone? Pier legends pompano write-up) and have definitely seem some improvement. I've also watched rich troxler's view from the beach series a few times through but still feel that I'm missing pieces to put me on to bigger and more fish.

Mostly interested in fishing for pomps and whiting, wouldn't turn down anything really. I tie my own rigs including a variation of river's rig, the morticians rig, and of course the standard drop loop rig. My equipment is where I think most of my problems lie. I have a 9' tica tc3 2-6 oz with a bg 5k and a St Croix triumph 8' 1/2-2 oz with a Cabela's salt striker reel.

On my last trip (last week) it seemed that I just couldn't detect any bites and was reeling in empty hooks many times. I've read quite a few folk on here recommend steelhead/salmon rods for in close work with fleas for sensitivity and will be purchasing one of those. Also looking at a ccp 10' 1-4oz for long range/past the outer bar work. My ideal setup involves a close range, mid range, and long range.

I'd really like for anyone with any constructive criticism/advice to chime in and tell me if I'm just overthinking this or if I'm on to something. I am not looking for a handout (go here, use this bait, and catch fish). I know I can improve my skill if I set my mind to it, put in the time and effort, and listen to you fine folks who figured this stuff out years ago. The main reason I desire to improve is to get out more often; I've got a girlfriend who fishes with me and generally enjoys catching more than fishing :LOL:. More catching leads to more frequent surf fishing trips to the banks or anywhere really.

Thank you to anybody who takes the time to read through all this until the end, and I will look forward to any and all advice/discussion this may generate. God bless

·
Registered
799 Posts
If you're using circle hooks its not a rod problem .... you really don't need to watch the tip of your rod, if a descent sized Sea Mullet or Pomp hits it, the rod will bend ...... Calico crabs have been bad this year, they can get your flea are shrimp and your rod will never wiggle .... the CCP 10' Rod is one great mullet rod along with the 11' 2-5 ....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yessir, using circle hooks or the gold kahle. I'm more about catch and release safely than gut hooking. Dang though, crabs? That would explain a lot. I did notice from time to time that only the egg section of a flea would be eaten. Especially ones with roe. Thought that using some ez flea would help with some strikes but not much action from that either. It seems maybe my problem is where I'm fishing/where I'm placing baits? I appreciate any time you have for a newbie like me.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Go where the fish are and use what you have and I think you will catch some pompano and mullet. Everyone has their own way of catching these fish but I think the most important part is actually fishing where the fish are! Find that clean water for the pompano!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I come from PA, trout/bass fishing background. I've seen some gin clear mountain streams where you can sight cast to feeding trout. I've got no frame of reference for clean/clear ocean.. Unfortunately I don't get to visit near as often as I'd like (permanently?) so every trip it's like I'm starting fresh.

Like your username, I also love fishing as light tackle as possible, which is why I asked about my gear. Here at home I fish ultralight tackle as often as I can.. Last week while I was fishing at Hatteras, I couldn't really tell if I had a fish on until I got it up to the beach. Wasn't sure if that tica I have is a little too heavy for what I'm using it for.

·
Registered
80 Posts
The problem is that you don't get to fish enough to figure out spots and what tide/wind/etc the fish are feeding at. I would suggest quitting your job and selling everything you own. Turn ur back on all responsibility. Rent a camper on the back road and getcha an old 4x4 with lots of rust. Get a job at a tackle shop. Youll have it figured out in no time!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The problem is that you don't get to fish enough to figure out spots and what tide/wind/etc the fish are feeding at. I would suggest quitting your job and selling everything you own. Turn ur back on all responsibility. Rent a camper on the back road and getcha an old 4x4 with lots of rust. Get a job at a tackle shop. Youll have it figured out in no time!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Funny you should mention baby pompano; on multiple occasions gathering fleas I found tiny pomps in the rake..

Do larger mullet/pomp/fish in general prefer different conditions than smaller fish? I did well on smaller mullet behind the motel in Buxton.. Didn't know if that would be an indication that the area was worth going over a little more diligently..

Again, thank you to everyone willing to help out a rookie

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Can anyone recommend any additional resources to better learn how to read water/find fish for the angler who can't spend as much time as he would like fishing the surf?

·
Registered
323 Posts
I am not a great pomp guru, but I think that schools of similarly sized sea mullet hang together. They go up and down the shoreline and stop to feed at the good spots. If you look at the structure of the sand at low tide, you will see places that look good. Places that might concentrate bait.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Regarding fishing different tides; what is considered ideal for what I'm after? Much of my success was on outgoing high into low, but that may only be because I was able to identify structure a little better. I've always heard to fish an hour before and after each tide change.. Is there any merit behind that thought?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Alright, so I'll commit to spending more time fishing changing tides. Also have to check my bait a little more often than normal due to crabs/bait stealers. I think I'll also try to be a little more mobile; the girlfriend and I have a Wrangler so I'll not park and fish one spot if it's not productive.

I came into a little extra cash as I sold a kayak I wasn't using.. If I was to buy only one CCP, would I be better off with the 10 or 11? Thinking of pairing it with an Akios 651. Thoughts?

·
Registered
799 Posts
Alright, so I'll commit to spending more time fishing changing tides. Also have to check my bait a little more often than normal due to crabs/bait stealers. I think I'll also try to be a little more mobile; the girlfriend and I have a Wrangler so I'll not park and fish one spot if it's not productive.

I came into a little extra cash as I sold a kayak I wasn't using.. If I was to buy only one CCP, would I be better off with the 10 or 11? Thinking of pairing it with an Akios 651. Thoughts?

·
Registered
799 Posts
Go with a 551 Akios, you don't need the extra line on a 651 .... the 11' 2 - 5 can give you distance and you can throw close too ...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Glad I asked. I don't know my conventionals well enough to pick a good match. I do think I'll go with the 11' based off two recommendations of two knowledgeable forum members. Looking forward to September for another trip down to Hatteras!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Speaking of salmon/steelhead rods for close in work - the first time I went surf fishing awhile back a friend invited me and I did not have a surf rod. The closest thing I had was a 9 foot steelhead rod from Cabelas (Tourney Trail TTCS906-2 rated for 10-20 lb line and 1/2 to 1 1/2 oz). Used an Abu Garcia 6500 C ambassaduer reel on it. Couldn't cast it very far and probasbly as a result of that I slayed the puppy drum right in the wash. Caught something like 9 puppy drum in a couple of hours while my friend caught 2 or 3.
Anyway, it worked very well and was a blast to catch the fish on. I think it would work great for pomps, too.
Good luck with it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts