Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wonderin if anybody on this board ever targets boston mackeral seein as they're the first fish to come in during the spring? If anyone does can ya hit me up with some tips/baits/lures/etc. for catchin them seein as ive never even seen one!:jawdrop:

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I have never gone for boston mackerell here in va waters.I grew up fishing for them off n.j coast.
when i would go i used 5 or 6 colored mackerell jigs.There just 3 inch tube lures ,just a hook wrapped in thin diameter plastic. and i would use a 4 oz or larger hopkins or plain old diamond jig for weight. My rig would be of 30 lb test or higher with the diamond jig on bottom then i would tie 5 dropper loops in my main line and add the tube baits to the loops. I always used a head boat when i went for em .If there are any here they will put you on the fish,as they travel in large schools.When your out for them and the captain sounds the horn to drop lines all you do is drop to the bottom,unless they tell you there suspended, but drop to the bottom and start jigging .. jig a few times then reel up a few turns jig some more .. repeating this action till you feel em on there more then likly they will stop your bait before it hits bottom . youll be dropping line then it will go slack way earlier then it should then set hook crank a few turns and take your time reeling in cause usually you can hook several on one drop.
There a schooling fish and are tightly packed so the more the baits the more fish you can bring up.
It is a lot of fun specially for young people ,cold but fun
We used to fill burlap bags full of em and sell them to the bait shops. and take a few home for bait or consumption.. but only keep what you really will use cause there easy to catch too many and have to waste them . And we have commercial fishermen to do all the wasting of valuable fish resources.
if you hook up with a good charter let us know cause i would love to do some cold water mackerelling!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts