Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to the pier and surf community. I am a bass and trout fisherman that likes to surf and pier fish when I can. I started last year when I was on vacation in Hilton head SC. I had so much fun that I want to pick it up. I am going to Sandbridge VA this year for vacation and I also live close to the Chesapeake Bay. I was wondering if anyone knows any good spots near me and in Sandbridge to go. I also need to stock up on rods, reels and tackle. Since I am new to this I don't know what I would need and where to get it. The cheaper the better. I have two young kids at home and a wife that doesn't understand or like fishing (but is understanding of my passion). Thank you.

·
Premium Member
3,417 Posts
Welcome to Pier & Surf! :)

·
Registered
235 Posts
Hi jasonmack77,
Searching the site for Sandbridge will bring up a bunch of hits.
I remember a thread called “advice on surf fishing” when we talked about kids.

Others are more knowledgeable, but I’ll offer these thoughts.
I (our group) busted several freshwater rods at the beach by not paying attention to the weight rating.
For the beach (have not taken our group to the pier), our kids seem to prefer a bunch of cheap (when on sale) Cabela’s 9’ TournyTrail IM7 salmon rods rated 2 oz (I never go over 2oz on them). I put a variety of saltwater spinning reels on them, picked up over the years when on sale (mostly Daiwa). If you use 17 – 20 lb line then no need for a shock leader, but clip off the last 5 feet every night (the freshwater rods do not have large enough guides for a shock knot). I like the 9’ TICA Dolphin with an Daiwa EmblemPro, 20# fireline, 40# shock leader for slinging mettle or baits (but lost it last year to my son). As you go to longer rods and higher weight the debates on equipment intensify. I have a variety low and mid-priced 11-12” rods but will defer to more experienced. The rods and reels need to be rinsed down every night and stored indoors (or they could be missing in the AM).

This is a report I put up on another board in 2006.
Thanks to all, we spent a week in Sandbridge. No drum, but in two evenings the kids (ages 6 to 27) were able to catch enough spot, mullet, croaker, and blues, to feed 27 unofficial FHB’s. They were thrilled. By day #2 the teenage girls were baiting hooks and returning the dinks for the younger kids. Dad and a brother-in-law landed a few small sharks on the baits I yaked out, so they were happy.
Eagle Claw
#4 gold wide gap freshwater
#4 red J freshwater
#2 L146G40-2 gold wide gap saltwater
All seem to be the same size at the hook end. Larger hooks than I’d have used, but just the ticket for what was on hand. “Pompano Rigs” tied up with #30 flouroclear worked great until the 14” blues came through. Lost one fish but four hooks as fish hit the beach. We switched over to wire and landed a few more.

Fishbite bloodworms (red) out fished Gulp bloodworms (green) by better than 10 to 1. Strips of spot landed the bigger mullet and croakers. Shrimp worked well but fell by the wayside as I was baiting 7 spinning rods and the fishbites & spot stayed on better. Sand fleas did not seem to keep up.

Live spot for the 3 big rods, with bluefish heads when we had them (circles, 10/0 Owner, and 8/0 red Gami). Had one small shark chewing at a blue before I dropped the sinker. I’ll remember that one.

Last year (2008) did not work out so well for us due to grass. Also I have been using more of the # 4 and #6 red mutu light circles.

Hope a few VA locals will chime in.

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
Welcome to the Show! :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.