Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HELLO I am new to this forum and I was wonduring if I could get some tips from you guys. Yesterday I went to BASS pro shop and bought my first salt water pole. It is a Penn Level wind 309 and a UGLY STICK that is 6'6 MH 20-50 lbs. I spooled the reel with 30lbs mono. Is anybody else using a set up like this? Any opinions on it? I bought this pole because I am going fishing in the florida keys for a few weeks this summer and I will also use it to fish off the coast of North Carolina. This summer I will be trying to catch baracuda, shark and anything else that will give a good fight. A freind of mine recomended that I use 50lbs Power Pro on my reel so I could catch bigger fish, do I need line that big? Does anybody have any tips or recomendations for my big fishing trip? (Most fishing will be done from piers bridges and beaches) Also some tips on casting this beast would help, I can get it across my street but not much farther. :mad: Back lash isnt a huge problem but I do get a little. Thanks for you replies this sure seems like a cool site:)

·
Registered
4,413 Posts
I think that is more of a boat/trolling rod than a casting rod. If you want a conventional reel to throw for distance from a pier, I would get maybe an Abu Garcia 7000 and spool it up with #25 line with a #60 shockleader. Or, you could just spool on some #100 powerpro and not worry about a leader. As for your Penn, I would spool it with #50 Berkley Big Game mono and just use it from the boat unless you plan to set up a king rig with it. You aren't going to be able to throw it very far.

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
Strange combo

A 309 levelwind on a 6'6" Ugly Stick?

I wouldn't use the 50 lb power pro on a baitcaster. My recommendation for more distance is to use lighter line with a shockleader or to use a longer rod.

·
Registered
823 Posts
i agree with emanual and husky the 309 isnt a very good casting reel, more of a troller or bottom rig. as for the line i seldom go over 30# with at least a 10 foot 50# shocker. i'm not much of an ugly stick fan so i want comment there. you'll have to make your own opinions on that one. either way good luck and tight lines

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have a Penn GTI 310 Levelwind that I use for pier purposes. I do not cast it however, it is for dropping straight down for sheepshead and the fighting reel on a spanish mackerel rig. It is spooled with 20 lb. Trilene Big Game. The reel has a Penn Long Beach 6'6" rod on it (Its a stout rod rated for 20-40 lb. test for the sheepshead and spanish.)

You do not have to go for barracuda or shark to find something that fights hard. Try big blues, Jacks, Sheepshead, and Spanish.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
7,090 Posts
I have the exact same set up only the left hand version. I only use it for in-shore bottom fishing and for livelining at the Tank. Mine is spooled with 30lb Power Pro super braid. It's not a set up for casting but one worth having. The click feature on these conventional reels gives you a good audiable indication when something is taking your bait. You can also use it for jigging from a boat. It's a good set up for its intended purpose but not really designed for fishing from the shore.

Catman.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My favorite thing to do is catch a 2 1/2 foot houndie aka needle nose fish and put a hook threw it, than and put it on my big pole and drop it down and let it run out . That is how we caught some huge baracuda last year and I think my pole will be great for that. We also save the bonita we catch and use it for shark bait at night. My pole should work great for both of these. The clicker is very important when doing this so when you get a huge bite the fish/shark doesnt pull your rod off the pier. If I snap my 30lbs line 2 times doing this than I will have to put somthing bigger on my spool. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, the bass Pro shop is in concord. Its is HUGE, its built into the back of a mall. They did not have as much salt water poles and reels as I thought they would but they do have ALOT. They also have alot of saltwater tackle (about 6 full rows) The prices where pretty good, the whole store is amazing. Defenatly worth the pit stop for you. It was almost a 3 hour drive for me and im glad I went. :D

·
Registered
112 Posts
It is about a 2 hr. drive from where I live to get to Bass Pro. I get most of my saltwater equipment there or order it from them on their website because it is much faster than driving to a tackle shop at the beach:eek:

·
Registered
112 Posts
SHUT UP AND FISH, if you are going to be fishing for cuda, shark, or anything else that fights really hard from a pier here are some tips:

1) The Ugly Stik may be too weak, you may need to get a stand-up boat type rod that is rated up to 80 lb. test (even tho you won't need line that heavy)--When you fish from a pier since they are "way down there" and you're "way up there" you have to horse the fish in sometimes---a real tough thing to do with light tackle.

2) Make sure your Levelwind has plenty of line on it for those drag-smokin cuda runs.

3) BE CAREFUL OF WHERE YOUR LINE GOES IF THERE ARE OTHER FISHERMAN NEAR-----A good precaution when using braided line.

4) It doesn't really matter if you use the large pound test power pro because it is braided line, 50 lb. test braided line is about the diameter of 14 lb. test mono.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
Some more

Yeah, that's an ok setup I would think if you aren't gonna be casting much. If you put braided line on there, it is smaller so you might get some more distance on a cast, but that would be one expensive birdsnest.
Could point by seafisher--the braided line will cut other people's mono. That's why he said to be careful where your line goes.

Hey anyone ever try barfing for chum?:p**

·
Registered
4,413 Posts
SHUT UP AND FISH said:
About how much would it cost me to spool my reel with 50# power pro?
Alot, more than I could afford. Just go with some #20 mono and use a heavy shock leader and you should be fine.

·
Registered
334 Posts
You have too much gear there.
Most of us down here unless going after shark or tarpon use medium to heavy fresh water gear.
Even a good size cuda can be halled in on it,(just don't eat it )
Tight Lines:)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.