Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
*Note I posted this in the MD forum as well, please don't think that I am spamming, I didn't see this thread until after my post...sorry*

Hi all!
My name is James and I am brand spanking new to the sport of fishing! I was washing the World Fishing Network and I made my mind up that I want to take up fishing.

A Little About me(fishing wise):
1) I bought a bay sport fishing license(Do I have to buy the freshwater one too or do they give a discount?)
2) I went fishing on one of the coldest days this month @ Sandy Point(1/17/09) I didn't catch a darn thing.
3) I hardly know what I am doing when I fish...I talked to the guys at bass pro shops and they showed me a couple jigs and artificial baits to buy and I did...and I have a Mitchell Advanta rod and reel.

I am just excited to fish, I really want to go tommorow but I wanted to fish from a pier...I really didn't like fishing off the beach, not that I really knew what I was doing anyways. Is it worth me going fishing in the cold? I know my chances are slim, but I just enjoy the peace it brings me.

I know I have asked a million questions, but I thought that it would be better to put them in one post than to make a million different ones.

Thanks a lot guys,
James C.

·
Premium Member
3,417 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys...this site is a Godsend. My fishing IQ surely has doubled already!! LOL of course doubling 1 or 2 isn't too much of an improvement!! LOL I definately have a lot to learn!

James C.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Welcome to the forum and to the reason why after a couple of years you will be in bankrupt! Yes, fishing sure does bring alot of piece of mind and it makes you realize what life is really all about and it makes you look back/forward at the things you have accomplish and those that you will in the future! As far as questions go, trust me it gets alot worst than the questions you asked!

Ok here we go with the answers:

Ok, i have no clue about how sandy point is but i can tell you that going fishing on these very, very cold days can be very disapointing and for a starter can create a very bad idea about the sport, so i would recomend you go to try out your casting and learn new things, and not for catching fish! It will help alot if you visit the beach now and learn about tides, sandbars, and all of these factors that inflict fishing!

Ok, as far as jigs go, i love using them but i am not very good with them and have not had much luck with them. I would recomend you leave the jigs until you have cought a couple of fish becouse once again, bad first impression! Try out cut bait first, ask around wherever it is you are fishing and see what works best, the locals know best!

Hope this helps a bit, if you can, post up some more detailed questions about other factors that are conserning you! Remember the only dumb question, is the one not asked!:D:fishing::beer:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.