Pier and Surf Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
For casting monofilament, the stripper guide should be about 1/2 the size of your reel's spool. Measure the diameter of your spool's front lip and divide by 2.

I believe this is covered in the rodbuilding.org library.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
did the kit come with a chart?if not you can refer to mudholes catalogue or web site for a spacing chart,what i usually do is set up the guides with the chart,i attach the guides with small rubber bands or zip ties,then i put the reel on and string it up.adjust accordingly to your EYE,believe it or not those 2 orbs the good lord gave us are remarkably consistent tools,if it don't look good it probably won't function good.there are some intresting theroies,calculations and systems for setting up a guide train and all have thier purpose,pros and cons ,but the builders eye and the anglers eye will see a badly built rod quicker than a calculator can do the math

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Ok, time to think about guide layout. The kit included 7 guides plus tip. Seems like one too many for a 10' spinner, yes? Also, the largest guide in the kit is a 30, does that seem reasonable for a standard COF setup or should I get a 40? Thanks.
Correction: guides are as follows 40, 30, 25, 20, 16, 12, 10. I've seen some charts but none specific for larger surf rods.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
this info from a fuji chart for a 10'er-from the tip.......15.5cm..17cm..18cm..21cm..22.5cm..25.5cm..30cm..33cm,i know this is for 8 guides,but its the only chart i found showing a 10' spinner,i would place the guides starting at the 15.5 measurement and add 2cm to each guide down the blank and see if that will work for 7,then adjust according to the line test with the reel

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Thanks, appreciate the info. I laid out a seven guide setup leaving off the smallest guide and it loads pretty good. Haven't casted it yet tho. I'm curious to see how my setup compares to the measurements you provided, seems like it may be close or at least close enough. thanks again.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Well, 12 days, a case of beer and several profanity laced tirades later, my first rod is turning in the dryer. If its true what they say, that we learn from our mistakes, I learned a helluva lot the past couple weeks. To say that my wrapping technique needs work is being kind. The trim bands especially gave me fits either unravelling or uneven or cutting them off accidentally with the razor, it was bad. Thanks for the advice, I'm not sure if I have a new hobby or not, but hopefully it will fish better than it looks.

·
Registered
148 Posts
on your next build try the New Guide Concept System. http://www.rodbuilding.org/library/spinningNGC.pdf

it works and it works well...if dont correctly. i built a 11ft 2-5oz Cast Pro using the Fuji K guides, 30, 20, 16, 12 to tip. there are 12 guides all together plus tip. some may say its too many, but im pretty sure ill out cast most with a 2oz sting silver.

my point is, just remember everyone has their own opinion on how to build a rod. find out what works best for you, which is what i did. i use A for under wraps and D for over. I prefer NCP, but will use Nylon/Maderia when needed and i use CP mixed 1/2 and 1/2 with water. no issues with bleed through if you let it soak in and dry properly. for finish i put the first coat on very thin, just enough to prevent the threads from moving, or seal it (as it was showed to me). second coat normally is the last one.

there is a lot of good information on the internet, just google it and you will find more then you can imagine.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Well, 12 days, a case of beer and several profanity laced tirades later, my first rod is turning in the dryer. If its true what they say, that we learn from our mistakes, I learned a helluva lot the past couple weeks. To say that my wrapping technique needs work is being kind. The trim bands especially gave me fits either unravelling or uneven or cutting them off accidentally with the razor, it was bad. Thanks for the advice, I'm not sure if I have a new hobby or not, but hopefully it will fish better than it looks.
use a pair of brand new finger nail clippers and you wont have to worry about the razor cutting everything off by accident. just dont use the nail clippers on your nails.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
on your next build try the New Guide Concept System. http://www.rodbuilding.org/library/spinningNGC.pdf

it works and it works well...if dont correctly. i built a 11ft 2-5oz Cast Pro using the Fuji K guides, 30, 20, 16, 12 to tip. there are 12 guides all together plus tip. some may say its too many, but im pretty sure ill out cast most with a 2oz sting silver.
I would be one to say that is way to many guides, I would even venture to say with that many guides the recovery of the rod is going to be severly impaired. But I would take you up on your challenge of outcasting me with a sting silver on the same rod:beer:.
I have a 10 ccp 1-4 that I built with micro guides just to prove to someone that I could and it would cast well. And you know what it casts great but it took me 10hrs of test casting and moving around to get the guides right. My point is you can usually make anything work, it may not be ideal or waht most people would say is right, but it will still work. Just go out and have fun with building it will all come together pretty quickly

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Ive never diluted cp before either and dont see a reason to but be careful if you do, some brands are solvent based and water will not work well...

·
Registered
148 Posts
I would be one to say that is way to many guides, I would even venture to say with that many guides the recovery of the rod is going to be severly impaired. But I would take you up on your challenge of outcasting me with a sting silver on the same rod:beer:.
I have a 10 ccp 1-4 that I built with micro guides just to prove to someone that I could and it would cast well. And you know what it casts great but it took me 10hrs of test casting and moving around to get the guides right. My point is you can usually make anything work, it may not be ideal or waht most people would say is right, but it will still work. Just go out and have fun with building it will all come together pretty quickly
it looks there is too many guides but i used the new guide system technique and thats what i figured it out for...but ive never been good with math so who knows. :) meet me on the beach some time ill let you throw it.

I use the Flex Coat CP and it says on the bottle you can dilute, thats the only reason i did it. id rather use NCP i think it covers better anyway.

and i second the " Just go out and have fun with building it will all come together pretty quickly "

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
I have always uses a long discontinued cp so I don't have any real experience with other brands when I finally run out of my brilliance II ill be screwed lol

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
any of the water-based CPs can be diluted,i use carsons and dilute 50-50,eliminates crystals
But Cason's also makes a solvent based which is why I said to be careful to which ones you add water

·
Registered
3 Posts
U may want to either tape the guides on or leave the wraps unfinished and take the rod out for a practice cast
Another area that's confusing is reel seat placement
Try this, take a yard stick and with the arm that you flip the bail with, measure from your arm pit to the middle of,your palm , this distance is a good starting point where to place the middle of the reel seat
PS I am a newbie also
Tight lines

21 - 39 of 39 Posts