Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys and Ladies. I like this forum so far. I've joined another fishing forum also and it's ok. I like this being more devoted to the Salt Life. I'm actually from the foothills but been fishing here and spending slit of time since I was crapping yellow.
I fished here this morning through the bands of rain and nothing to mention. This afternoon the wind changed and high tide was approaching and 3-6 lb blues were regular bite in the surf on the east end point.
About 9:30 this morning between Long Beach and Holden the birds were going nuts! Probably Spanish pushing baitfish north towards Ft.Fisher. Was hoping for a slot Red or nice keeper trout but not today. I've a few a ago is size whiting have been caught so that's just around the corner. Thinking bout taking a ride up to Long Beach pier tomorrow and have a look see! Anybody got a report from there or Kure Beach pier!

·
Registered
618 Posts
Flatfisher1,

Go to SurfChex and click on Kure Beach..................its a live cam of the pier and beach area......................

The last time I looked it was packed and I saw a big drum being lowered back into the water.

Good luck.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Fishing Update: The five of us did not catch any 3 to 6 lbs blues but we caught about 30 blues that were 12 to 16 inch long , 40 small black drum, 10 undersized flounder , an assortment of spots, whitings, pompano, croakers, blow toads and pinfish, 18 skates and 1 red drum that was 43 inches long. We had a real good day. We fished the east end, mid island and towards the west end. I think we maybe back down on Saturday.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I started catching the smaller blues and switched to cut bluefish for bait and that's when we started catching the bigger ones. It wasn't a very productive week but I learned plenty. I fished long beach pier for the first time. I set up for kings but couldn't buy a blue to bite that day. Ended up back at the east end of Holden and got 1 nice keeper trout and more blues. Fished the bulkhead at Ft Fisher and got a 2kepper flounder,one was at night. Never caught one at night. Lost 2 that was probably big Reds. Line snapped prolly due to nick and bad hook set on another. I forgot I was using straight shank instead of circles. On Sunday morning I caught a "Leopard Shark"? Never saw one,so the other folks said it was.it was 4' long and I gave it to the guy that netted it for me. I don't care for sharks.
I'm really excited about the surf at the east end of Holden. In the past it's been a sub-par surf fishery,at least for me. The channel in the inlet is on the west side where it used to be on the east and there's a lot of ditches and troughs that are bound to produce some good quality fish. I'll be there @10:30 today after I get my business done to see what's in there.
We started catching some nice whiting last Sunday and nice croakers. The one guy had @18" croaker! Biggest I've ever saw. I'm guessing by now the whiting will be a good bite todsy. Sure love a few trout and of course a nice red that has alluded me this fall.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts