Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all-

I'm a newbie to the forum and to the sport as well. I got "hooked" after spending an evening/morning at Matapeake and the next afternoon at Sandy Point. But I think what did it for me was the 3 nights at the OC Inlet while watching 5 30"+ stripers and 2 24"+ sea trout get pulled in (I think that would hook just about anyone).

As a newbie I have tons of questions; therefore, in the coming weeks I will be spending lots of time on this forum either lurking, reading and even writing. Since I am in the MD/DE section I figure I start with this question:

I am interested in fishing for striper, blue, croaker, perch and flounder... what would you all say is the best area at SPSP to fish?? My friends usually fish on the beach crescent/point (not sure what that area is actually called) farthest from the bridge but to the right of the small rock jetty and the small launch area.

Also, I've been using some homemade hi/lo rigs (4' long 60# clear mono with 2 dropper loops and crane swivels at each end) ... should I be using something different for the fish mentioned above?? If so, what should I use differently?? Please try to be specific or even better please provide a picture of the rig. Most of the rigs and knots I've been making I've been fortune to have seen on other sites or tackle shops.

Thanks, until next time... tight lines to all.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
V,
Welcome to the forum. I think your friends are pretty familiar with the "location", we ususally call it "Near the small boat launch area":D
Anyway, you should be able to catch most of the ones you mentioned (I have not catch a flounder yet). Right now, there's perch for you, but others have slow down this past week.
As for rigs, I use the ones from Walmart (too lazy to make one). Hope this helps..

·
Registered
592 Posts
Welcome to the forum,

I predominatly fish at SPSP and from what I understand from your post I often fish in the same area as your friends. THe important part about fishing at SP is to cast out as far as you can. THere can be some "holes" close to shore but they are few and far between.

As far as rigs are concerned, most of those fish you mentioned are easily caught on a standard hi/low rig with the weight on the bottom.

First of all what do you use for bait? What sort of setups (rod and reels) do you have? When do you fish?

I ask these questions because bait is very important, bloodworms are the choice bait I have found, in addition to shrimp, squid and cut bait.
I use either a 10' or 12' pole which enables me to get out the where the fish are.
Fishing when the tide is moving and not still is going to be more productive.

Any more questions, me or anyone else would be more than happy to answer.

Tuna, you should start making you own rigs. I guy could go broke buying all the rigs you do.:D

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
reddog-

I have a 12' pole and a Okuma Agro 7000 reel (i think... on the reel) w/ 30# Green Mono. The other day (last Sunday in the afternoon) I used fresh clams... I read something on a different site about clams. At the OC Inlet I used live eels with a simple eel rig. At Matapeake I used cut bait (spot).

Since I'm a newbie I really haven't been consistent in setting a time to fish. But I have been listening to others and it seems I should be going during high tide - so I've been watching the charts - and for stripers (I heard they are nocturnal feeders) I should be going at night also during high tide.

I think though I will begin going to SPSP on Sundays while trying to follow the tide charts for those days... but in order to do that I have to convince the wife to stay home otherwise I will get to SPSP during low tide.

·
Registered
592 Posts
The 12' pole will suit you well but having 30# mono will cut down you casting distance a bit. Anyway, I have never tried clams before especially at SP. THe probably work well in the ocean but I use bloodworms almost exclusively, which are a bit pricy and you have to be careful not to get screwed, like at ANGLERS. When I use them at SP I catch a variety of fish from croaker to spot to catfish (only once) to flounder (only once again) to striper and perch. Cut bait should land you some blues, although they have been few and far between as well.
Fishing during high tide is not always best since I have had great luck at low tide as well. Just so long as it is moving. Right now nightime and early moring is going to be best becasue it is just too hot during the day and the fish will move to cooler, deeper water at that time. Plus with all the swimmers, especially on the weekend, it is tough.

I have seen some large fish pulled out of SP in the last few weeks but overall the fishing has been pretty slow so don't get too discouraged.
This time of year as well SP is open 24hrs to fishermen and I, as well as a good deal other people from this board, often fish during the week at night or on the weekends in the evening.
You can always bring you wife out and let her enjoy the fresh air on the beach but be sure she has a license if you fish after dark.

As far as stripers are concerned fishing with bloodworms and early morning an at night this time of year is probably your best bet.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Next question...

Next question:

What size and style hook should I be using on my rigs for striper, blue, croaker, perch and flounder???

Reddog-

Also, regarding the 30# mono... should I drop down a notch - 20# or 25#???

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
Vma, I would at least go to 25 or even 20. Now if you are using powerpro than 30 would be good because it has a smaller diameter than regular mono. When using regular mono back in the day I was using 20lb big game by berkley trilene and was casting great and had plenty of strength. Now as far as hooks I usually use a 5/0 hook for most fish. 4/0 is not bad and will get you the spot and perch. I jump up to 6/0 when going for stripers with live bait or cut bait.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
Oh yeah and circle hooks are the way to go. Easy catching and usually easy releasing when you need to! (Less gut-hooking the fish)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
FL-

I have been using Gamakatsu Octopus Circle 4/0 black hooks... maybe the clams don't work here in the Bay. I heard they were using them on the NJ shore. I'll start going with the bloods and spot from now on.

Most of my friend swear by the 1/0 and 2/0 J-hooks for most or all of their fishing... Is this just a matter of opinion??? And does the color of the hook, swivel and snap make a difference???

·
Registered
592 Posts
I agree with Fl, circle hooks are the only hooks I fish with now but as far as size I use now 1/0-3/0 blood red circles.

If you are using 20# mono you should have a shock leader on it. I am sure that some people will tell you that you don't need one but with a rod like an ugly stick you really don't need one but if you use a stiffer rod you will snap the line every coulple of times and away goes your rig.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
Vma,

Some people swear by the color difference and I have not yet tried so I don't bag on em. Just hasn't peaked my interest yet. The clams are definitely a Jersey thing! Ha Ha! No they work for stripers but usually not this far in the bay. OC, AI, IRI are good places for those. The shock leader think I am undecided on. It is a good thing if you are getting lots of breakoffs but if your rod won't handle the shock leader through the eyelets then it will KILL your distance on casts. Thats why I use 25 lb Pline and Yozuri Hybrid line and have had no problems with breakoffs on my 12 fters. Like I said powerpro would do the same for you.

·
Registered
7,090 Posts
VMA...If you really want to increase your chances of catching a keeper rock buy a couple of live peeler crabs. Pop the top shell off and cut the crab in half, no need to use it whole. Using your standard Hi/Lo rig with 5/0 circles thread the hook through a leg joint. Sometimes I use a rubberband around the hook and peeler to hold it tight. Fish as you normally would trying to get as much distance on the cast as you can. The bites will come slower but they won't be from the pesty spot and perch. The rock are in the area with some up to 25" according to the TidalFish forum and they're getting them on peelers on the early outgoing tide. Good luck.

Catman.

·
Registered
7,090 Posts
VMA...If you have a place close to home get them there. You can keep them in the frig. a couple of days and they will stay alive. Wherever you get them make sure they show them to you. If they don't have any orange color on the bottom apron they're still green and not peelers. Also squeeze the ends where the point starts. If it doesn't feel a little soft on the bottom of the point area it's a green crab. Some bait shops will try to pass these off as peelers. Don't accept them unless they give them to you for 1/2 price. You can expect to pay around $2.50 for a good live peeler. Hope this helps.

Catman.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Razor Clams

VMA,
A buddy of mine was a choptank about 3 ro 4 weeks agao and cught a few dink rocks on razor clams just dropping them straight down next to the pilons. Not much to talk about in size, but at leat he caught rocks at all, and on clams that he baought from a trip to PLO.....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.