Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently moved from Az to SC and I want to get my feet wet with surf fishing. I have adequate rod, reel and tackle but I'm wondering what to do with any keeper fish.
Should I clean them right away then ice?
Just toss the whole Live fish on ice?
Dispatch the fish then ice ?
I'm going out Thursday for the first time and if I catch a slot red or a grouper, I surely don't want it to go to waste.
I have a collapsible cart, cooler, etc.. I just want to know what to do with them without a livewell.
My plan is to go to the north end of Folly Beach near Charleston.
Any and all info / recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
-Pete

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Pete. Here's what works for me...
First I dispatch the fish by delivering a stout blow to the head or a spike to the brain. Second, I bleed the fish by cutting the gills and placing head down in a bucket of cool water (ice water is better) for five or ten minutes. Last, I'll place the fish on ice or better yet, gut the fish and then place on ice.
Something else to think about:
If you should meet an enforcement officer, they need to be able to identify and measure your catch. That means I keep the head, fins and scales on until I get home.

G

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great tip about bleeding the fish out. I've never done that before but then again my fishing experience has been mostly bass and trout fishing in Arizona. You mentioned keeping scales on... that brings to my attention that i do not have a de-scaler. Alexa, add to shopping list.
Thanks again for the info. Ive updated my shopping list and I'm sure it will grow after the first trip.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I think the term is Ike Jime, if you’d also like to ream out the spine. If you’re eating the fish within a day or two, just icing them is fine. Beyond that, Ike Jime will keep the flesh fresh much longer with just standard refrigeration.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Never heard of it. Thanks!
I found some vids I need to watch now.
I love learning new techniques like this.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm outside planning my PVC beach cart right now. Gonna outfit it with a RTIC cooler and some cool ideas I have dreampt up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts