Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am transfering to the North Beach, MD area in November with the Navy and am new to saltwater fishing and would like some suggestions on what to buy to get started. I will be primarily fishing from the pier to get started so I need to know what gear and tackle/bait to get me started. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Oh, and I dont wanna drop a ton of money out of the gates, so something thats mid range in cost would be best since the wife is sitting on the couch giving me the evil eye right now as I talk about buying all new fishing equiment LOL. Thanks!

Billy

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
It all started for me with a $35 pier rod combo bought at the pier.
IMHO, if you are just starting out, go to walmart and get a combo rod and reel (less than $50) and see if you like it. If you visit the local pier, you can get a feel for what is being fished for and what baits are best.
Find the local guys and don't hesitate to ask questions. Some may seem reluctant, but if you offer some of your catch, they always open up.

Before you know it you,ll have more rods and reels than any one person could hope to fish at any given time, and your fishing gear will take up more room than your wife,s shoe collection.:eek:

PS: If you want the wife off your back for the cost, Teach her to cast net.
Mine loves it and sometimes does better at finding bait than I do.:confused:

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
I am transfering to the North Beach, MD area in November with the Navy and am new to saltwater fishing and would like some suggestions on what to buy to get started. I will be primarily fishing from the pier to get started so I need to know what gear and tackle/bait to get me started. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Oh, and I dont wanna drop a ton of money out of the gates, so something thats mid range in cost would be best since the wife is sitting on the couch giving me the evil eye right now as I talk about buying all new fishing equiment LOL. Thanks!

Billy
Welcome to the family here, and thanks so much for your service! I'm retired Army, and pretty familiar with the Navy Exchange and AAFES! The deals there stateside are not always that great on certain items, as I'm sure you know. I haven't checked out the "overseas" catalog for a long time (if they still have one) but you used to be able to get pretty good deals out of there.

racewire gave you some good info, especially as far as getting to know folks on the pier.

Just starting out, and fishing the pier, I'd start with something like a Daiwa Black Gold spinning reel (bullet proof) and a 7' - 8' "quality" inexpensive rod to match. When you fish a pier, your equipment can sometimes get a little beaten up (rod rubbing on the railing, tourists tripping over your stuff, etc) so the Daiwa BG will take the abuse. It's "old school", it's all metal, but it has been around for a LONG TIME for a reason, and it's easy to keep lubed and cleaned. It's also relatively cheap (around $80) and you can still pass it down to your kids. I'd recommend a BG30. For a rod, I'd look at the Pinnacles, Ugly Sticks, etc.

Also, just starting out, I'd load the reel with 15 - 17 lb. mono.

Probably the best advice I could give you is to contact Greg at Greg's Baitshack. He is a sponsor on this forum and great to work with and quick to ship. Give him a call, tell him how you'll be fishing and where, and ask him about the BG 30, etc. He can match you up with a rod, reel, and spool the reel with line for you, as well as discuss a lot of other options for you within your budget, get everything shipped out to you (not that far...he's in the VA Beach/Norfolk area) and best yet, tell him you belong to Pier and Surf and chances are, he'll be able to give you a discount.

Here's the link, or you can go to the VA board and click on the link at the top or he has his own board on here as well.

http://www.gregsbaitshack.com/scripts/default.asp

Next thing...take a look at the Maryland board and see where everyone is fishing, what they are catching, and their bait, lures, leaders, rigs, etc. Initially, you'll spend a lot of time pouring through the different threads trying to absorb everything, etc., but don't be afraid to ask questions.

If you are looking at spending $200 for your set-up...just a hint. Spend $100 on you and the other $100 on one for your wife! Get her out there with you, and if you hook one first, hand the rod to her and let her have fun with the first one. Hard to do, I know...but it sure as hell will pay you big dividends in the future, and you'll actually find that you'll enjoy it even more.

Above all else, have fun!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow great advice! I will probably start out on the North Beach Pier, I guess I could stroll down there and see what peope are using for bait and see how to rig up the set up. I was just trying to get a feel for the necessities so I can start spending now LOL I like to buy a bunch of crap that I MAY use someday hehe thats half teh fun IMHO.

Billy

·
Registered
633 Posts
Welcome to the family huskysibe! this is the site that if you someday get divorced or bankrupt, will be behind it all! Do as sprtsracer said, you got to start out nice and easy! You dont just want to go bankrupt do you? Trust me once you get into it its like a drug, extremely hard to stop! Id recomend not buying too many setups, like whenever the wife gets herself a new 700$ hand bag or pair of shoes is when its a good time to act, so is christmass and her birthday, give her a very good gift and get yourself one just like it( i highly recomend you hide the price tag though!).Well thats about the most important part you have to know about the site and the sport, now get out there and fish!

·
Registered
2,044 Posts

Billy
Hey Billy I live on 4th street
When you get settled in give me a call. I would be glad to help out.

JC

·
Registered
188 Posts
Some people frown on this type of fishing, but stop by the Armory and get a few concussion Grenades from the Chief, go out to end of pier pull pin and throw the grenade into the water,dont throw in a boat below pier , you got 15 sec before it blows so get Net ready.

I sort of Got same evil eye and cold shoulder when i mentioned buying a Motor Cycle, so I went out goofing off and went home told the wife i wanted to buy an airplane instead of Motor cycle, small one like a piper cub, she replied lets go get a motor cycle , worked for me .

Like others have said ,go slow when starting may not like this type of fishing

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Some people frown on this type of fishing, but stop by the Armory and get a few concussion Grenades from the Chief, go out to end of pier pull pin and throw the grenade into the water,dont throw in a boat below pier , you got 15 sec before it blows so get Net ready.

I sort of Got same evil eye and cold shoulder when i mentioned buying a Motor Cycle, so I went out goofing off and went home told the wife i wanted to buy an airplane instead of Motor cycle, small one like a piper cub, she replied lets go get a motor cycle , worked for me .

Like others have said ,go slow when starting may not like this type of fishing
Brilliant!:D (the motor cycle part)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts