Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got up about six and head for False Point.. I stopped at the first trout hole and casted and here comes a friend of mine,he hooked a short one on the first cast.. Then another friend showeds up and talked a minute,then he saw something and hauled buggy down the beach,with the first friend and I in hot pursuit. Something was busting the water and movin up the beach fast! I thought,stripers,so I tied a gator on quick and off to the races I went.. Well I
"cornered em up" at the end of a bar about 20 ft away from the sand and tossed the gator at em.. ZZZZZZZZZZing and AWAY it went!! I felt the tail slappin on the line,it was an albert!! I had never caught one on the beach this one was my first,what a blast! I liked it so good I chased em some more and caught me another.. What a way ta start off the yr!!! :D

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

01-01-2004 11:53 AM

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Cdog.....judgin' from DD's post here ,I believe you're about to start 04 off just right........the R

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
I certainly like th sound of that.

DD what did ya use to get em,Rod/Reel combo? Caught em offshore an know they can do some serious pulling.

·
Super Moderator
10,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cdog said:
I certainly like th sound of that.

DD what did ya use to get em,Rod/Reel combo? Caught em offshore an know they can do some serious pulling.
I caught him on a 9ft tica rod that I purchase from Flathead(regestered but never post :rolleyes: ) I have a Diawa Capricorn for the reel,with 6 diameter fireline. They doubled the rod up and it was a "give and take" thing.. I like catching those rascals almost as much as drummies,too bad they don't get that big.. :D

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Kewl, I got a 9' with a stradic an 12# stren on it. Wasn't sure if that would handle one of them critters.

·
Administrator
5,774 Posts
Alberts are one tough fish. I love catching them--the closest thing us beach folks can come to tying into a tuna.

·
Registered
348 Posts
help me out...

i saw a post somewhere which suggested that false albacore are the same fish that are also called bonito.

Is it so??

not that i'll likely catch one round here...(in michigan)

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
no they do look similar, false albacore are also known as little tunnies, bonito are just bonito

·
Registered
348 Posts
thanks guys, thought they told me that bonito are not edible, guess i'll try one next time i get the chance.

·
Administrator
5,774 Posts
Here's a false albacore:

Here's a bonito:

They can be confused, but look at it this way: false albacore (fat alberts, albies, little tunny) have stripes on the top which are all wavy. They also look just like a tuna.

Bonito have straight stripes and they look a little more predatory, like a king mackerel.

You don't really see bonito inshore except in New England. If you see either of those on the OBX, they're false albacore.

·
Registered
348 Posts
2000 words cleared that up

thanks sand flea,

no doubt they are different, i caught a big bonito last summer offshore at myrtle beach, it made good bait for the sharks i was catching in the surf:rolleyes:..... while fishing for blues ;)

·
Registered
369 Posts
Cdog said:
Kewl, I got a 9' with a stradic an 12# stren on it. Wasn't sure if that would handle one of them critters.
With that rig they will make a BIG run.. and the secound one almost as good! I have only caught them in the surf and they are my favorite game fish. I imagine you in the suds as I type this...
sending good "Ju-Ju" now.... :)

·
Super Moderator
10,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Puppy Mullet said:
With that rig they will make a BIG run.. and the secound one almost as good! I have only caught them in the surf and they are my favorite game fish. I imagine you in the suds as I type this...
Puppy Mullet,instead of just imagining me in the surf(which is halarious in itself :D ),imagine Rodwatcher catching 4 of the rascals today,with Old Timer catching 2!! :eek: :D I had to do the 4letter word thing today.:rolleyes: :mad:

·
Registered
168 Posts
Eat'n a Fat Albert

well ya can eat them, take and cut there head off and bleed them as much as possible, then take and fillet them and bake....the meat will be dark looking when done, but will taste like roast beef with a slight fishy taste...yumyum....we ate one I caught off the pier about 20 years ago...wasn't really bad....look on a can of tuna sometime, I think they list little tunny as one of the ingredients.....

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Puppy Mullet said:
Puppy Mullet, your good juju worked but on stripers not alberts. But hey I aint complaining. :D

·
Registered
369 Posts
Glad I could help Dog.
I was plannin on going to Hatteras today... but...One of my fishing buddys stopped by the house with a #60lb. blue catfish! Man me jaw fell off.. he has 2 over #50 this year also. So we call the bait shop an she says that biologist (sp?) shocked up some #100 pounders today. Will be fishin below Richmond this week so send me back my ju-ju!!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts