Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a topic I have not seen much discussion on. Perhaps some of you would like to share what your favorite tackle box is.

Mine has been, for both salt and fresh, the Plano hard double decker box with see through top lid. I have three of these in my bass boat and one for salt. It had worked well, but this year, for salt, I have changed over to a bag system with the Plano 3600 series storage box. I'm not sure I am going to like that now.

What are you guys using?

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
I use a bag with hard boxes inside it. Its made by Bass Pro. Been using it for 3 years now. Love it.

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
HuskyMD,

How are those Bass Pro Bags? I was going to pick one up for 20 dollars (red ones) but saw that it had plastic hinges. No problem with carrying all the lead?

-John

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Depends on where I fish. This past fall/winter, to fish Chic's, I had to hike it from the truck to the bridge (sometimes up to 1/2 mile). I would have specific Plano boxes filled with rattles, spoons, and jigs and put them in a backpack with my light and rodholders clipped/stowed in the pack as well. This allowed both arms free to carry rods (and beverage). The shoulder strap on the softcases would work well too but I found the backpacks offer the same amount of storage at a much cheaper price. (Picked up a quality pack from LL Bean Outlet for $15).
For the planks, I put those plano boxes in the hardcase tackle box and heave it to the pier (or soon, place it in the surf cart).

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Yea you can't beat the bag type. Mine has 4 storage trays(Lg)the bottom one is used for weights,then all my tackle repair items and the third one is used for hooks,fish finding rigs and their sleeves and the fourth one is for lures.Then it has two side pockets one has zip-loc bags so you can put your plastic grubs and so on and the other side is just for extra line,shock leader material,the top has a pocket inwhich I put my filet knife&board and the backend has a small pocket for my rags.I won this through a fishing club some time ago. :D

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
Old,raggedy,smelly,crusty and old blue Shimano bag with hard see thru cases.Love old Blue.

Now I know how a woman feels about their purses.I carry more stuff than I can prepare for!

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
John,
Mine is a blue and black bag they used to sell for around $50. But My bro picked it up on sale down in Atlanta (Bass Pro has better prices down there in my opinion) for around $30 for me.
Its a great bag. Has 5 plastic trays inside it. Good quality zippers and nice padded strap. Don't know how the cheap red one compares though.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I'm with chest2head on the backpack.It works just fine for hiking the sand.If your on the move and shore fishing it can't be beat.I even use it when scouting freshwater spots.And for those longer hikes I take my 2 piece rod and strap it to the pack. ;)

·
Registered
256 Posts
i just carry a backpack, it is a standard north face day pack just like the one that i used for books in college, hiking excursions and a carry on for airplanes. started using one when i was about 6, riding my bike to pond and streams in pennsylvania. less scraped knees from falling off the bike holding a rod and box. i have lots of small clear boxes full of various gear for specific species. if i have a plan on what i'm fishing for it really cuts down on total gear to take. if there are lots of different fish around i'll take lots of small boxes. standing in the sand you can't beat a backpack. but on the piers, when i'm not walking around nearly as much, i take an old army green plano box, with a little bit of everything and then some more. i sometimes still take a small camelback for food and water. if you like sand between your toes better than gum-sticky planks beneath your feet get a backpack. plus, with the pack resting on your shoulders, your hands are free to hold more rods, sandspikes, or frosty cold ones.

·
Super Moderator
10,102 Posts
I got an ole plano,biege and black bag.. It will hold bulk spools of line,drum tags,notebook for em,and taggin stick.. It also holds spare reel,box with terminal tackle,drum rigs include. It has a long strap that can be attached for carrying on the planks,works well in the boat too.Has a plastic hard bottom you can throw wieghts in. It stays dry inside too. ;) Bought the thing second hand about 5 yr ago for 15 dollars,one of the best buys I ever made! :D

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Greetings All!

After 35 years of Plano boxes, I've made the switch to a waterproof bag with plastic boxes. Although I like the idea of being able to just reach in and grab what you need off a shelf, I'm tired of replacing rusted rigs, hooks, etc from salwater finding its way in. My "levels" are pretty much the same as what TRIGGERFISH mentioned, with lead on the bottom, then lures, then terminal tackle on top. I also have individual boxes for stripers, fluke/weakfish, sea bass/blackfish, and blues.

·
Registered
4,334 Posts
I've only three boxes to cover freshwater fishing, surf fishing, party boat fishing, and saltwater lure fishing (IRI).

1. Offshore Anglers 2500 tackle box. Waterproof bottom. Holds 10 Plano 3700 plastic boxes. Boxes swap out for either freshwater fishing or party boat fishing. Room for lunch, water bottles, and rain gear.

2. Plano 757 tackle box. Surf and pier box. Cut some dividers to enable me to fit largers rigs.

3. Plano soft bag. Hold 4 Plano 3700 plastic boxes. Set up for casting 1/2-2 ounce lures in the surf or IRI. Got this one with 4 Plano boxes at Wal Mart for $10 (big time mismarked.)

·
Registered
48 Posts
I got a Shimano bag on a bag. The top bag has a large upper compartment for reels, bulk spools, filet knife etc. The lower compartment holds 4 3600 size boxes. The bottom bag has two small pocket--one on each end and one large pocket in the front. The interior compartment will hold 6 3600 size boxes. Both are held together by the shoulder strap. The top bag has belt loops so that it can go wading with you. It is a little larges than I would have liked but it does work. I have had it for 3 years and simply change out the boxes depending on what I am chasing where. Has worked really well for me. I now--thanks to a really good deal on no name 3600 size boxes at walmart--have about 50 of the boxes covering fresh to salt and spinnig to fly.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
For wade-fishing I've got to have my vest; deep large pockets on the bottom in front that can hold two small plastic lure boxes,medium sized ones in the middle for the single lures that come in their own boxes, and small one on top for snap/swivels, etc. Any time I'm off the beach & on the bar I've got it, with the 10lbs. of got-to-have stuff in it. Not to mention the net on a bungie over my shoulder on the left side for the fish you can't lip-grab and the stringer on my belt on the right side for the "keepers". Oh yeah if I'm in the "conga-line" @ the point, can't forget the bait box on the belt stuffed with mullet &/or menhaden to keep from going in and losing my spot just to re-rig.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts