Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new here, and to ocean Rock fishing. Two buddies as well as myself fished close to cape Henry Saturday. Sea's were very rough anywhere from 7-10 foot swells damn near perfect for the fish; just couldn't get them to cooperate. We ran a stretch, on one pole, and an umbrella rig on the other landed two citation 31 in., 33 in., and a smaller 23 in. which was released. After the 23 incher we didn't get any other hits, even ran a Mojo to no avail. Anyone else know of any other lures that are just killing them? :fishing:

·
Registered
573 Posts
Well welcome aboard there mate! And welcome to Suffolk, that my stomping grounds, looking for a house out there right now actually. Anyway, I haven't been out or talked to anybody that has recently. But the ones I do know have been hitting em with eels. I would invest in a Daisy Chain and an alewive spoon to go along with what your running and you can always drift the eels. With ocean fishing its not so much the lure as putting it in front of fish. I think the ocean fishing will be heating up shortly but it hasn't really caught on fire yet. Be patient and keep a weather eye on the horizon for the gannets and follow them. Good Luck! Also release citation for rockfish is 44". Not sure about weight. Check your regs on those fish.

Ben

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well welcome aboard there mate! And welcome to Suffolk, that my stomping grounds, looking for a house out there right now actually. Anyway, I haven't been out or talked to anybody that has recently. But the ones I do know have been hitting em with eels. I would invest in a Daisy Chain and an alewive spoon to go along with what your running and you can always drift the eels. With ocean fishing its not so much the lure as putting it in front of fish. I think the ocean fishing will be heating up shortly but it hasn't really caught on fire yet. Be patient and keep a weather eye on the horizon for the gannets and follow them. Good Luck! Also release citation for rockfish is 44". Not sure about weight. Check your regs on those fish.

Ben
I have lived in suffolk for about 3 years so far stationed at NOB but the wife is from here so I frequent lake Meade, and Cohoon during the summer. Two fish over 28" at least that's what the regs say, I used to a citation being a ticket were I'm from originally (Colorado) but those fish were my buddies I caught the little 23" striper. I thought all those birds around us were seagulls, now that I know they were actually gannets. Really it was hit, and miss Saturday. Were going out again on friday weather permitting. I was thinking about running a large silver cast master, I use to use these for wiper ( white bass, striper combo) and would destroy them when they were schooled. Where can you pick up a daisy chain, and how is it fished? What colors would you recommend for the daisy chain, and the spoons? I appreciate the help.

·
Registered
573 Posts
A daisey chain a long rig that runs straight up and down the water column with about a ten 12" sassy shadbodies set about 15" or so apart on it. You attatch a heavy mojo to the bottom to keep it down. They come in a variety of colors. I like white and chartruse. So you fish like 15 ft of the water column with it and can catch numerous fish at once. Check dashiells for it. They should have some, if not just call around. I like to buy my when I'm passing through richmond at Green Tops cuz there cheaper there. They're usually about $25 plus 15-20 for the mojo so tie it good! Good Luck!

Ben

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A daisey chain a long rig that runs straight up and down the water column with about a ten 12" sassy shadbodies set about 15" or so apart on it. You attatch a heavy mojo to the bottom to keep it down. They come in a variety of colors. I like white and chartruse. So you fish like 15 ft of the water column with it and can catch numerous fish at once. Check dashiells for it. They should have some, if not just call around. I like to buy my when I'm passing through richmond at Green Tops cuz there cheaper there. They're usually about $25 plus 15-20 for the mojo so tie it good! Good Luck!

Ben
I'm thinking about running this silver alewive size 9/0 behind a red shad umbrella friday. Walmart is about the closest thing to me to get tackle from but I will stop by oceans east on our way to rudy inlet to see what I can find. They had a chartreuse alewive but I went with the silver one instead; not really sure which is better.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have lived in suffolk for about 3 years so far stationed at NOB but the wife is from here so I frequent lake Meade, and Cohoon during the summer. Two fish over 28" at least that's what the regs say, I used to a citation being a ticket were I'm from originally (Colorado) but those fish were my buddies I caught the little 23" striper. I thought all those birds around us were seagulls, now that I know they were actually gannets. Really it was hit, and miss Saturday. Were going out again on friday weather permitting. I was thinking about running a large silver cast master, I use to use these for wiper ( white bass, striper combo) and would destroy them when they were schooled. Where can you pick up a daisy chain, and how is it fished? What colors would you recommend for the daisy chain, and the spoons? I appreciate the help.

Here are the regs for stipers. the link is http://www.mrc.state.va.us/Regulations/swrecfishingrules.shtm
I would hate to see you get your gear confiscated due to not know the regs

STRIPED BASS (ROCKFISH, STRIPER)
[Regulation 4 VAC 20-252-10 et seq.]

Virginia Coastal Seasons ..................................................................January 1 through March 31 &
.......................................................................................................................…May 16 through December 31
........................................Minimum Size Limit............................................... 28 inches
........................................Possession Limit.................................................... 2 per person

Note that there is a coastal trophy season from May 1 to May 15; the regulations summarized below for Virginia Trophy Seasons apply to the coastal trophy season.

Coastal regulations apply in Virginia's Territorial Sea, plus all of the creeks, bays, inlets, and tributaries on the seaside of Accomack County, Northhampton County (including areas east of the causeway from Fisherman Island to the mainland) and the City of Virginia Beach (including federal areas and state parks fronting on the Atlantic Ocean and east and south of the point where the shoreward boundary of the Territorial Sea joins the mainland at Cape Henry). Click here for map of coastal boundary near the CBBT.

Virginia Trophy Seasons: Coastal Area (May 1-15); Chesapeake Bay and its tributaries (May 1 through June 15)

........................................Minimum Size Limit................................................32 inches
........................................Possession Limit.....................................................1 per person

Additional Trophy Season Regulations: Catch Report Required; no possession of 32" or greater striped bass in the Spawning Reaches May 1 through June 15. Trophy Season regulations apply in Virginia's Territorial Sea and the Chesapeake Bay and its Virginia tributary rivers, except for the tributary rivers emptying into the Potomac River (see note below for more information on Potomac River striper regulations).

Chesapeake Bay Spring Season .................................................May 16 through June 15
........................................Minimum Size Limit.............................................. 18 inches
........................................Maximum Size Limit * .......................................... 28 inches
........................................Possession Limit ...................................................2 per person

* 1 fish of the 2 fish possession limit may be larger than 32 inches ( catch report required if striped bass 32" or greater is kept ); No possession of 32" or greater striped bass in the Spawning Reaches May 1 through June 15.

Chesapeake Bay Fall Season .........................................................October 4 through December 31
........................................Minimum Size Limit..............................................................18 inches
........................................Maximum Size Limit * ......................................................... 28 inches
........................................Possession Limit - October 4 through December 20...................2 per person
........................................Possession Limit - December 21 through December 31..............1 per person

* 1 fish of the 2 fish possession limit may be 34 inches or larger; no fish may be kept between 28 and 34 inches.

Chesapeake Bay regulations for both the Spring and Fall seasons described above apply in the main stem of the Chesapeake Bay and Virginia's Chesapeake Bay tributary rivers, except for the tributary rivers emptying into the Potomac River (see note below for more information on Potomac River striper regulations).

Other Virginia restrictions: You may not combine possession limits when seasons overlap or you fish in multiple jurisdictions. Gaffing striped bass or attempting to gaff striped bass is illegal in Virginia marine waters.

Federal water striped bass regulations: Atlantic Ocean waters beyond the 3 mile limit are closed to the taking and possession of striped bass all year.

Potomac River striped bass regulations: Different regulations apply in the Potomac River and its tributaries, including its Virginia tributaries. These areas are subject to the rules and regulations of the Potomac River Fisheries Commission, P.O. Box 9, Colonial Beach, VA 22443, (804) 224-7148; (800) 266-3904; http://www.prfc.state.va.us. For further information on PRFC rules contact PRFC directly.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I'm thinking about running this silver alewive size 9/0 behind a red shad umbrella friday. Walmart is about the closest thing to me to get tackle from but I will stop by oceans east on our way to rudy inlet to see what I can find. They had a chartreuse alewive but I went with the silver one instead; not really sure which is better.
"Six in one, half dozen in the other" on the lures. But you can never go wrong with chartruse. Let us know how you do :fishing:;)

Ben

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here are the regs for stipers. the link is http://www.mrc.state.va.us/Regulations/swrecfishingrules.shtm
I would hate to see you get your gear confiscated due to not know the regs

STRIPED BASS (ROCKFISH, STRIPER)
[Regulation 4 VAC 20-252-10 et seq.]

Virginia Coastal Seasons ..................................................................January 1 through March 31 &
.......................................................................................................................…May 16 through December 31
........................................Minimum Size Limit............................................... 28 inches
........................................Possession Limit.................................................... 2 per person

Note that there is a coastal trophy season from May 1 to May 15; the regulations summarized below for Virginia Trophy Seasons apply to the coastal trophy season.

Coastal regulations apply in Virginia's Territorial Sea, plus all of the creeks, bays, inlets, and tributaries on the seaside of Accomack County, Northhampton County (including areas east of the causeway from Fisherman Island to the mainland) and the City of Virginia Beach (including federal areas and state parks fronting on the Atlantic Ocean and east and south of the point where the shoreward boundary of the Territorial Sea joins the mainland at Cape Henry). Click here for map of coastal boundary near the CBBT.

Virginia Trophy Seasons: Coastal Area (May 1-15); Chesapeake Bay and its tributaries (May 1 through June 15)

........................................Minimum Size Limit................................................32 inches
........................................Possession Limit.....................................................1 per person

Additional Trophy Season Regulations: Catch Report Required; no possession of 32" or greater striped bass in the Spawning Reaches May 1 through June 15. Trophy Season regulations apply in Virginia's Territorial Sea and the Chesapeake Bay and its Virginia tributary rivers, except for the tributary rivers emptying into the Potomac River (see note below for more information on Potomac River striper regulations).

Chesapeake Bay Spring Season .................................................May 16 through June 15
........................................Minimum Size Limit.............................................. 18 inches
........................................Maximum Size Limit * .......................................... 28 inches
........................................Possession Limit ...................................................2 per person

* 1 fish of the 2 fish possession limit may be larger than 32 inches ( catch report required if striped bass 32" or greater is kept ); No possession of 32" or greater striped bass in the Spawning Reaches May 1 through June 15.

Chesapeake Bay Fall Season .........................................................October 4 through December 31
........................................Minimum Size Limit..............................................................18 inches
........................................Maximum Size Limit * ......................................................... 28 inches
........................................Possession Limit - October 4 through December 20...................2 per person
........................................Possession Limit - December 21 through December 31..............1 per person

* 1 fish of the 2 fish possession limit may be 34 inches or larger; no fish may be kept between 28 and 34 inches.

Chesapeake Bay regulations for both the Spring and Fall seasons described above apply in the main stem of the Chesapeake Bay and Virginia's Chesapeake Bay tributary rivers, except for the tributary rivers emptying into the Potomac River (see note below for more information on Potomac River striper regulations).

Other Virginia restrictions: You may not combine possession limits when seasons overlap or you fish in multiple jurisdictions. Gaffing striped bass or attempting to gaff striped bass is illegal in Virginia marine waters.

Federal water striped bass regulations: Atlantic Ocean waters beyond the 3 mile limit are closed to the taking and possession of striped bass all year.

Potomac River striped bass regulations: Different regulations apply in the Potomac River and its tributaries, including its Virginia tributaries. These areas are subject to the rules and regulations of the Potomac River Fisheries Commission, P.O. Box 9, Colonial Beach, VA 22443, (804) 224-7148; (800) 266-3904; http://www.prfc.state.va.us. For further information on PRFC rules contact PRFC directly.
Thanks for the regs I was looking for those last night due to the Jan. 1 closure of some areas around Cape Henry. As far as size I don't keep fish myself I always release, unless the fish is huge then maybe I will think about it. I got tired of eating fish when I was a kid. Even fishing for land locked kokanee Salmon I kept maybe 3, just not my thing to keep fish. I will definitely keep you all updated on the fishing.:fishing:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just to let you all know we went out saturday at around 7:30 in the morning, and did not catch a fish all day. Had one nice one on around 12 but we spit the hook. We started shallow around sand bridge then ran out to about 60 ft of water off of cape henry. Fish were around 20 feet but were not feeding threw everything we had at them to no avail. I guess that's why they call it fishing not catching.

·
Premium Member
3,417 Posts
Welcome to P&S!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.