Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I relocated to Juno Beach area from Oklahoma about two years ago. I have always fished but mainly light gear for crappie and sand bass. It has taken me while but I finally acquired a surf rod and reel and a pier rod and reel. Learned alot lurking around this site. First hard lesson I learned was a few nights ago when either a shark or a jack ( I think) yanked my surf rod and reel off the pier. So now I am looking for a replacement. I have a 8 foot custom heavy rod with a penn 209 level wind with 20lb mono that I have been using for bottom fishing off the pier. It is alittle cumbersome but I am getting better at casting it. I think I will concentrate on the pier for awhile instead of surf. I am looking for a pier setup I can cast spoons, jigs etc.. but could also double as a bottom rig when I have guests. I am on a budget as I spent most of my money on my surf set up that is now at the bottom of the ocean. :)

I am thinking about the penn fierce II but I can't decide between 4000 and 5000. I am thinking a medium heavy rod. I also would like some advice on what size line to use and type of line. I want to try braid but only because I have never used it. Also, does anyone use any type of strap to keep rods from being pulled in off the pier? Appreciate any advice or any thoughts about anything else a newbie should be thinking about.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Loosen your drag and, if conventional, turn the clicker on so the fish takes line and not your rig. My guess is that it was a big ray.

·
Registered
5,967 Posts
Are you going to change your member name when you acquirer more rods?

Tighten drag to cast, loosen drag when you sit it down. Just enough tension to hold bottom.

nothing wrong with using a lanyard like the kayaker use.

·
Registered
929 Posts
My buddy lives in fl. He always telling me you can't use braid on the pier and most charters. So you might want to pick up an extra spool or use mono. You might want to verify this as well.

·
Registered
4,390 Posts
You have to tie them rods down man. Fish like this will take you rod and reel every time. I took these pictures on Sharky's Fishing Pier in Venice FL. Any one of these fish can pull your fishing rod overboard. Some of the reels these guys use look like boat wenches. Good luck. Fish Recreation Vacation Tourism
Fish Fish Seafood
Bench Wood Furniture Table Wood stain
Fish Fish Herring Sardine Mackerel

·
Registered
908 Posts
buy a cheap dog leash, or even a small length of rope, wrap around the bottom rail, put the snap through the loop, pull tight, wrap snap around rod (in front of the reel) and clip it to the leash making another loop. set the drag at a couple pounds and you'll keep your rods.
js

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's a good idea. I went out tonight on Juno beach pier for a few hours and caught 1 small shark. I used a 2 hook drop rig and squid. Crabs were thick and I basically I just sat and fed them until I was almost out of bait.

I held my pole any time my line was in the water. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts