Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, going to be moving to horry county early sept from Virginia, hope to spend my retirement sitting on a pier fishing and watchin sun set

·
Registered
25 Posts
I’m new too! Where is horry county? I moved to Beaufort SC, in the low country. I love it here. Weather is great. Right now it’s as hot as can be, and fishing is a bit slow for me anyway. It could be me......I don’t like to fish in 95’ and the water isn’t any cooler.

·
Registered
903 Posts
We moved down here in 2015 from MD. My only regret is that I didn't do it 20 years prior. I'm up in Manning, near the lower end of Lake Marion. We used to vacation at Pawley's Island which is south of Myrtle Beach, and have stayed at Hilton Head too. I wanted to live close enough to the coast that I can do day trips to fish, but I like to fish for bass & Stripers too, so we settled on "lake life".

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nothing wrong with lake life, I use to be a tournament fisherman but my back has a hard time in boats nowadays and I've always loved pier fishing and wife loves the beach

·
Registered
903 Posts
Nothing wrong with lake life, I use to be a tournament fisherman but my back has a hard time in boats nowadays and I've always loved pier fishing and wife loves the beach
We love living where we do. We both wanted a slower pace, less people, less traffic, lower cost of living. We have that here. We've been through a few storms since moving here and have been fine. I'm not a tournament guy, never have been, but I know a lot of folks who are. Our neighbors here have been great too. I wanted a place on the lake, but when we were looking, any I looked at were either priced higher than I wanted to pay, or were fixer uppers, and I didn't want that either. I can see the lake from my front porch, my one neighbor, who is also out insurance agent gave me permission to fish from his pier, and there are a couple of boat ramps/public access areas within a 20 minute drive. I have 2/3 acre of property, same as I had in MD, and I have a fairly large garden. Our property taxes are a lot less here. So, we accomplished what we wanted except being right on the lake. The only down side we have, we're away from other family, including my mother who is up in age. Still have family back in MD, my mother, two of our kids and other family. Our oldest son, DIL & our grand kids live out in CA, so we don't see them much. The last 3 years we've gone out there for Christmas and New Years, but not sure how that's going to play out with this virus. The older we get, traveling around is not an easy task. Our middle son lives with us for now. He was living in Charleston, and has had a bout with melanoma cancer, so we moved him here while we deal with that. He's a disabled veteran, and gets treatment at the VA in Charleston, so we make sure he can get back & forth. Otherwise, we enjoy being here where we are. It was a positive change for us.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts