Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to saltwater angling, but not new to the beach. I would likt to start fishing the south jetty in MI, using artificial baits(i.e. , spoons, plugs, plastics) as I want to keep my gear to a minimum due to the long walk out from Huntington. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
5,796 Posts
Bucktails will work for about anything, even more so if they're tipped with either shrimp (whiting, croaker, trout, ect) or a strip of baitfish (flounder, drum, ect). PM me if you need any help getting some great bucktails.

If you like plastics, get a few Saltwater Assassin Sea Shad (paddle tail grubs), in Glow/Chartreuse tail and Silver Mullet, and some DOA CAL Series Shad Tail grubs in Electric Chicken, Rootbeer/Chartreuse Tail, and any others that catch your eye, those are just the most common must have trout colors. They'll land trout (winter trout), flounder, drum, weakfish (summer trout), and a few other species though if blues are around they ruin the expensive bodies fast with their teeth.

If you have money to spend, get some Gulp! in natrual, new penny, or white pearl shrimp, and swimming mullet in green chartreuse and white pearl.

Use them on a rounded jighead with a saltwater hook. 1/4 oz - 1/2 oz, you may want 5/8th oz or higher if the current is bad. The rounded head doesn't get hung as often but you will lose tackle fishing at a jetty.

Popping corks work good and you don't lose them unless you're set really deep. You can fish the grubs/Gulp on them or live bait if you decide to.

Other than that, I would get a few Stingsilvers (pink/white is a great color, chrome is too), Hopkins casting spoons, Krocodyle casting spoons, and other metal plugs for Spanish and blues. Weights would be 1-2 oz. I don't know how deep the water is at the jetty but Gotchas may work if it's deep enough and you don't let it sink a lot and get hung in the rocks. If you want Gotchas get 1 oz yellow head/white body with gold hooks, red head/chrome body, red head/yellow body and that should cover you.

One more thing if you like metal plugs is gold 1/2-3/4 oz jigging spoons, the rounded ones, not the short and stubby casting spoons. Lots of stuff will hit them.

Mirrolure 52R work great too but I wouldn't risk a $5 plug on the rocks.

Mirrolure Top Dogs are great if the fish are active and hitting topwater.

If you like crank/jerk baits, my favorite is a Rapala XRap in olive back/white belly. It suspends and is absolutely killer on anything that eats fish.

I'd take 2 rods, a light spinner plug rod that can actually cast 1/4 oz - 1/2 or 3/4 oz (the lightest they're rated for is often too light to cast), say 6' 6"-7' 6", and the second a spinner metal rod rated 1-3 oz, 7'-8' 6".

If you get everything I mentioned that's probably $150 plus worth of plugs not to mention the rods, especially if you get 2 or 3 of each lure, so just pick and choose what you think you'll like and you'll find your own favorites.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jetty info...

Thank you for taking the time to pass along all the great info SmoothLures. I'll be heading over to the Bass Pro Shop sometime soon. The rods I don't need to worry about. My mother's fiance recently passed away and I inherited all his tackle. He was an avid fisherman, avid live bait fisherman that is. Lures are all I need. I'am guessing he was really into King fishing. I found a tackle box filled with spools of braided wire, balloons, and clothes pins? Coming from Minnesota originally, these are odd things to see in a tackle box.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
got-cha plugs(deeper than any pier, plus current) definately work form the jetty(i fish there during the fall). lure i would recommend;
krocodile spoons(1/2 oz. to 2 oz.)
sting silvers
hopkins lures
when the curretn is really strong during the falling tide cast the lure to 45 degree away from where u are standing and by the tiem u reel the lrue in u would have covered mroe water than just casting striaght in front of u.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bluefish, I grew up catching Lake Trout on the shores of Lake Superior, using Krocodile Spoons. It will be great to use something I'm familiar with. Thank you for the tip!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for the welcome Rude. Just out of curiosity, have you ever lived in Myrtle Beach... You look exactly like this bouncer that snagged my fake ID at the House of Blues, years ago?

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
the krocodile spoon in the 3.4 oz. and silver prsim color is a bit difficult to find locally, but it is the most effective lure during the mullet run in fall, unless the current is too strong. i always replaced the treble hooks with a single 4/0 hook. smaller ones like 1/2oz and bigger ones up to 1 1/2oz. should work too. from the jety, i usually let it sink for 10 seconds and then start reeling. i have caught bluefish, weakfish, and Spanish mackerel using these lures.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.