Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all - I'm new to MD and am looking for a few starter spots. I'm interested in most freshwater fish (for now)...not really into carp fishing. I would love to find some great bass/panfish spots and would love to catch some big cats, too (without having to go to potomac)

I live near BWI so I'm looking for places pretty close. I don't have a boat but do have a car topper that I plan on using in Tridelphia once it opens up. For now I need some starter spots for shore fishing and/or wading.

I don't mind a little bit of a hike and don't mind getting dirty. So far I'm going to try out:

1- Little Patuxent on the Patuxent Research Refuge
2- Little/mid Patuxent near Savage Park

I've heard recommendations on a few other places but none of them came with instruction on where to park et cetera.

If anyone feels like sharing their knowledge with a fellow angler I'd certainly appreciate it!

·
Registered
4,564 Posts
If you need any trout fishing info for Western MD, drop me a PM.

Sandcrab

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Generally speaking to can glean a lot of information about where to park by examining locations on a site where you can switch to an aerial or "birds eye" view. Check out Google Earth or Bing Maps. Look for paths leading away from parking lots towards the water.

The down side to this approach is that you're most likely to find the areas that are fished the hardest, so the fish could be either all gone or spooky ... but it's a good place to start. After you're there you'll be able to observe others to identify the better holes. Good luck!

·
Registered
4,390 Posts
Generally speaking to can glean a lot of information about where to park by examining locations on a site where you can switch to an aerial or "birds eye" view. Check out Google Earth or Bing Maps. Look for paths leading away from parking lots towards the water.

The down side to this approach is that you're most likely to find the areas that are fished the hardest, so the fish could be either all gone or spooky ... but it's a good place to start. After you're there you'll be able to observe others to identify the better holes. Good luck!
X2 Some very good Info.

·
Registered
4,564 Posts
...I don't have a boat but do have a car topper that I plan on using in Tridelphia once it opens up.
FYI - Unless you plan on leaving the boat at the reservoir, it will cost you each time you launch. BTW - the office that sells the daily permits does not open at the crack of dawn! Usually they open around 7 o 8 AM. I think you have to sign a statement regarding what waters you have fished in with your boat too - or at least that is what my MD friends tell me...

Car topper on Tri can be tricky - Hope you have a powerful trolling motor as no outboards are allowed there...

Sandcrab

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
FYI - Unless you plan on leaving the boat at the reservoir, it will cost you each time you launch. BTW - the office that sells the daily permits does not open at the crack of dawn! Usually they open around 7 o 8 AM. I think you have to sign a statement regarding what waters you have fished in with your boat too - or at least that is what my MD friends tell me...

Car topper on Tri can be tricky - Hope you have a powerful trolling motor as no outboards are allowed there...

Sandcrab

I do have a trolling motor and a really light inflatable boat so I'm hoping I'll be alright

I got out on little pax yesterday near savage mill. Didn't even see baitfish :(

Anyone been out on Elkhorn lately? What should I throw out there and where's the best place to park?

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
other locations : Loch Raven- they rent out canoes- very good pickerel fishing, some bass and panfish are around

Potomac honestly blows everywhere else (unless you want to go to the James River in VA or Lake Texoma, TX) away for monster blue cats- just rent a rowboat out of Fletcher's Cove if you don't want to take your boat all the way out there.

·
Registered
4,564 Posts
Trolling motor with a really light inflatable boat? Make sure you have and anchor/wind sock as you will be fighting the wind most of the time. I have had some nice calm days on the reservoir in my 14' jonboat. I always pack a spare battery. This year a couple of my friends went out fishing there and by the end of the day, the trolling motor died as it was fighting the wind all day long...

Sandcrab

·
Registered
21 Posts
Triadelphia Reservoir is going to be closed for 2 years for dam repair. If you live near BWI then you might as well try Rocky Gorge Reservoir in Laurel. It's closer than Triadelphia and has better fishing anyways.

Patuxent River on the Patuxent Research Refuge.... Don't even bother. It's very shallow and has poor access.

If I were you, I would just ignore the upper Patuxent River and head down the places off the Potomac. World class catfish fishery and you can also target snakeheads, largemouth and yellow perch.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Triadelphia Reservoir is going to be closed for 2 years for dam repair. If you live near BWI then you might as well try Rocky Gorge Reservoir in Laurel. It's closer than Triadelphia and has better fishing anyways.

Patuxent River on the Patuxent Research Refuge.... Don't even bother. It's very shallow and has poor access.

If I were you, I would just ignore the upper Patuxent River and head down the places off the Potomac. World class catfish fishery and you can also target snakeheads, largemouth and yellow perch.
Potomac is ideal but it's just too far for me to regularly fish. Need somewhere much closer to BWI.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The ponds in the Columbia area offer some good fish from time to time.
You are required to register with the Columbia Association to fish their ponds from a craft. No motors are allowed.
Centennial Lake is nearby. Not bad, if a little busy on weekends.
Rocky George is a bit further South off of Route 29, you'll need the same permit you would need at Tridelphia.
Belle Grove Ponds are just North of BWI, as is Southwest Park.
Lake Roland is just North of Baltimore City.
Piney Run is in Carroll County, not too far away.
The Baltimore area reservoirs: Liberty, Loch Raven, and Pretty Boy all have restrictions concerning use and access, essentially, you have to agree to use your craft only there and cannot use it anywhere else, due to concern for Zebra Mussel infestation. As mentioned you can rent boats at Loch Raven.

With some care, you could potentially fish the Middle Branch of the Patapsco near Harbor Hospital, or near Canton Waterfront Park in Baltimore City, but I'd be hesitant to fish there from an inflatable or small car topper. This is brackish as opposed to fresh water.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Check the MD DNR website. They have maps that show boat ramps, parks & such. Many of the public boat ramps also have shore fishing access. If you don't mind the drive, many of the tidal rivers on the Eastern Shore can be fished quite well from a car top boat. I lived in MD all my life until this past year & fished all over the state. I liked some of the small out of the way places I found which I won't tell about here. :rolleyes:

I often fished the Transquaking & Chicamacomico Rivers, plus the Blackwater & Little Blackwater from either my Gheenoe or my jon boat. I liked going to these places because many times I was the only one on them, particularly during the week. There are also several state or county owned ponds around particularly on the ES which are listed on the DNR website that can be easily accessed with a car topper. You can also access the upper reaches of the Magothy River with a car top boat from Beachwood Park and even though it's tidal, is more fresh than brackish. The variety of fishing and family that's still there is about the only thing I really miss about MD. ;)

·
Registered
4,390 Posts
If your looking for ponds to fish in your little boat, or from shore, Delaware is where you want to fish. MD. has a few good ponds, but Delaware has the best Ponds and a lot of them. Kind of far for you, but it is worth a day trip now and then. Get the Delaware Pond Book on line. Plus what Big Jim said. The upper rivers on MD. and Delaware are very good.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Look at the ponds off Rt 170/Camp Meade Rd around 695.
Daniels to Elicott City. and even downstream to the park.
The upper Patuxent has some holes, but finding them takes time.
Even Wayson's Corner on the Patuxent isn't a bad drive, but you'd need a tidal water license.
The ponds off 170 are tidal too.
where you live, the option to fish tidal or fresh can be a short distance. Read the license book to learn the tidal/fresh dividing line for each body of water you fish.
Might as well not have any license as the wrong one, in the eyes of the DNR.

·
Registered
4,390 Posts
I do have a trolling motor and a really light inflatable boat so I'm hoping I'll be alright

I got out on little pax yesterday near savage mill. Didn't even see baitfish :(

Anyone been out on Elkhorn lately? What should I throw out there and where's the best place to park?
With a trolling motor and a really light inflatable boat, you might want to stay in the ponds, or WAY up the rivers. Be carful in that little boat. Ponds are the place, and you will catch way more fish. Good Luck! PS. only talking about your little boat. Maybe you have another boat we don't know about.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Give Centenennial lake a try. Pretty close (off of rt 29, just south of I70. Stocked with trout in the spring (no trout stamp required to fish - only if you want to keep the trout).
Very good for bluegill, crappie, LM bass and catties.

Good luck, and let us know how you do.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
If you want to fish Elkhorn the best place to park is across from the Owen Brown village center. A short walk to the right puts you at the top of the spillway where the crappie hang out. The little kiosk straight ahead is an excellent location to fish for the stocked trout. A walk along the shoreline to the left is wide open for almost everything that swims there.

Minnows for crappie, bass and the occasional trout
power bait or small wigglers for trout
Artificials for bass
small spinner baits for trout and bass if you chose to walk the shoreline.

There is also Lake Kittamaqundi, near the library and Columbia offices, to fish using the same techniques and equipment.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts