Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I just moved from eastern North Carolina and surf fished the Hatteras area extensively over the past several years. Now I am in North Alabama.
16 Hours to Hatteras and 16 Hours to Padre Island. What have I done to myself!

Where can I surf fish near the Orange Beach, Destin, Pensacola, Mobile area? Not asking for your honey holes. Just need direction.

Are there any place we can actually drive on the beach to fish?

Bubba Feesh
Stephen

CHAC-Cape Hatteras Anglers Club
OBPA-Outer Banks Preservation Association
RSWFC-Raleigh Salt Water Fishing Club
CCA-Coastal Conservation Association

·
Registered
4,413 Posts
There's some good surf fishing all up and down the Gulf Coast, but I think Padre is the only place I know of for sure where you can drive on the beach. Panama City Beach, Destin, Pensacola, Orange Beach, Mobile and Gulfport all have some good surf fishing although the pier fishing is phenomenal.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what I figured.

I might have to get one of those beach/pier carts. From what I am reading on the Pensacola Fishing Forum page, the puppy drum and yearlings are still biting pretty good. Most of the guys are fishing the inlets/bridges from boat. Thanks for the help. Maybe some of the others will chime in. Gotta get used to the cart thing.

Are there any other forum sites I am missing? P&S is great mind you. I frequent Hatteras Island Fish Malitia and Red Drum Tackle Shop Forum mostly in N. Carolina.

Bubba Feesh

Stephen

·
Registered
4,413 Posts
There's a Pensacola forum, they're nice folks and have a few members over here too as I recall.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Found that site. Good site. Miss my buddies up at the Red Drum Tackle shop and Frank & Frans.

Pensacola forum mentions there are still some Yearlings and Bull reds being caught. I can't wait to tie into a few.

Bubba Feesh

·
Registered
4,413 Posts
Yeah, it takes a little getting used to new territory but you have alot of the same fish here as you do on the OBX. Of course, the water is clearer and calm most of the time. Wait until you try sightfishing pompano on #6 test or catching 6 kings in one day on a spinning rod.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey guys,

Leaving for Orange Beach this friday morning. Gimme a few general areas on the beach and inlets and a place to find bait. Perdido Pass? What side? Any other spots?

Bubba Feesh

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Found the puppy drum in Orange Beach! Can't get used to calling the redfish.....just yet.

I know there is a special way to rig gotchas that I am learning. But I have to wonder........will the OBX 1 1/2 ounce and 2 ounce glass minnows work on the Spanish?

Can't wait to throw one over the horizon off the end of Okaloosa Pier in April!

·
Registered
4,413 Posts
Yes, it will work great on them. Also try the bubble rig with a Clouser Minnow fly tied behind it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Another trick for the bubble rig is to use one of the rubber tubing type sunglass holder strap thingies. The ones that are the surgical rubber tubing type. I usually cut a piece about 1 1/2" to 2" in chartruese, white or pink and the spanish tear it up behind a bubble. 18 to 24" inch flouro leader behind the bubble, slide the leader line through the tube and tie on a treble. Then slide the tube back down over your knot and the hook shank. Acts just like a soda straw but is much more durable than a straw and actually acts as a shield for your leader. Stops a lot of the cutoff from their teeth since they dont usully bite through and tear it like they do a straw.

BTW - the bubble rig with a clauser or the tubing is my favorite way to catch spanish. Sometimes I lengthen the leader and tie on a 1/4 oz. jig for a deeper presentation when they just dont want to come all the way to the surface for them. Dont throw away your bubbles when they get cracked and leak water either. A buddy of mine started filling his part way with bb's when they got cracked and started leaking. Put just enough so the bubble still floats when set on the water. The bb's give the weight needed to cast and the added "rattle" from the bb's has induced strikes when a water filled bubble didnt.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Another trick for the bubble rig is to use one of the rubber tubing type sunglass holder strap thingies. The ones that are the surgical rubber tubing type. I usually cut a piece about 1 1/2" to 2" in chartruese, white or pink and the spanish tear it up behind a bubble. 18 to 24" inch flouro leader behind the bubble, slide the leader line through the tube and tie on a treble. Then slide the tube back down over your knot and the hook shank. Acts just like a soda straw but is much more durable than a straw and actually acts as a shield for your leader. Stops a lot of the cutoff from their teeth since they dont usully bite through and tear it like they do a straw.

BTW - the bubble rig with a clouser or the tubing is my favorite way to catch spanish. Sometimes I lengthen the leader and tie on a 1/4 oz. jig for a deeper presentation when they just dont want to come all the way to the surface for them. Dont throw away your bubbles when they get cracked and leak water either. A buddy of mine started filling his part way with bb's when they got cracked and started leaking. Put just enough so the bubble still floats when set on the water. The bb's give the weight needed to cast and the added "rattle" from the bb's has induced strikes when a water filled bubble didnt.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.