Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - I recently spooled up with braid for the first time. Any suggestions for knots tied to terminal tackle other than the Palomar?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
220 Posts
I keep it simple for braid to terminal - improved clinch. I have not lost a rig due to knot failures (yet) with improved clinch.

But based on what you are slinging and what lb test braid line you are using, you may want to add mono/fluoro shock leader. My line snapped a couple of times when I first started using braid because I didn't use a shock leader with 20lb braid.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
for braid a uni knot is very good for terminal tackle.......a uni-uni is great for joining braid to braid
clinch is not reccommended for braid
j have no issue with braid to terminal ......catch just as much as everyone else

·
Registered
220 Posts
for braid a uni knot is very good for terminal tackle.......a uni-uni is great for joining braid to braid
clinch is not reccommended for braid
j have no issue with braid to terminal ......catch just as much as everyone else
Out of curiosity, why do you say clinch is not recommended? Not sure if it makes a huge difference, but I've been using improved clinch on braid (usually to a swivel) with 100% success (no knot failure).

FG knot, I'm still learning, so I lost a few lures because the knot became loose mid-cast. It's probably the most time consuming. I use it mostly on baitcasters, because of the smaller guides.

Uni-to-uni is also very good for braid to mono in my opinion (also no knot failures yet).

·
Super Moderator
10,102 Posts
Out of curiosity, why do you say clinch is not recommended? Not sure if it makes a huge difference, but I've been using improved clinch on braid (usually to a swivel) with 100% success (no knot failure).

FG knot, I'm still learning, so I lost a few lures because the knot became loose mid-cast. It's probably the most time consuming. I use it mostly on baitcasters, because of the smaller guides.

Uni-to-uni is also very good for braid to mono in my opinion (also no knot failures yet).
There is a way on one of the videos that I have seen and have tried that cuts time ONCE YOU GET IT DIALED IN,fg is no problem.. Uni knot is a GREAT backup if you can not tied the fg.. As far as original question,YES, use uni to connect terminal tackle to braid.. Improved clinch is NOT what I would use on braid,but that's just me I guess.. Also,jmho,listen to those that say connect a mono or floro leader to braid...

·
Super Moderator
10,102 Posts

There is a way on one of the videos that I have seen and have tried that cuts time ONCE YOU GET IT DIALED IN,fg is no problem.. Uni knot is a GREAT backup if you can not tied the fg.. As far as original question,YES, use uni to connect terminal tackle to braid.. Improved clinch is NOT what I would use on braid,but that's just me I guess.. Also,jmho,listen to those that say connect a mono or floro leader to braid...

·
Registered
263 Posts
Before i started saltwater fishing, a clinch and imp clinch were the only knots i had ever tied. I have seen the imp clinch work with braid on 10" bass up to 40+" musky and pike. That being said, in the last 5 years of saltwater fishing i have never tied an imp clinch. Been learning all the different knots and using them. Uni seems to get the most use now. If i am tying braid to terminal i use the palomar. Drumdum where is he video on the FG you are talking about? That is the next one i want to learn.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Before i started saltwater fishing, a clinch and imp clinch were the only knots i had ever tied. I have seen the imp clinch work with braid on 10" bass up to 40+" musky and pike. That being said, in the last 5 years of saltwater fishing i have never tied an imp clinch. Been learning all the different knots and using them. Uni seems to get the most use now. If i am tying braid to terminal i use the palomar. Drumdum where is he video on the FG you are talking about? That is the next one i want to learn.
I am reading that people don't use improved clinch on braid, but there's really no explanation on the reason. I would like to know the reason so that I know whether I should switch or not.

Like I said, for me, it hasn't failed me yet. I used it often this spring (it was between "braid -> swivel -> mono with drop loops using improved clinch" and "braid -> mono with drop loops using uni-to-uni". Landed 30lb+ stripers during C&R spring run and landed chopper blues on the surf (Braid to mono using uni-to-uni, then improved clinch to a popper)... Very curious about what the reason is for people who don't recommend it on braid.

Oh yea, on a recent outing, I hooked onto 6 cownose rays in a single night. In all cases, the 30lb power pro braid snapped. The weakest link was the braid line itself and not any of the knots that I used. I only lost one due to locked down drag. I brought all the other ones close to me, but didn't have a net and the line broke as I was pulling them up by hand (with gloves of course).

·
Registered
263 Posts
I can't give you a good reason. When I first started using braid the packages always had some different knot on them. The clinch wouldn't hold but imp would, so that's what I used. In saltwater the fish pull a lot harder than in fresh and I just don't want to take any chances if I hook into something really nice.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I can't give you a good reason. When I first started using braid the packages always had some different knot on them. The clinch wouldn't hold but imp would, so that's what I used. In saltwater the fish pull a lot harder than in fresh and I just don't want to take any chances if I hook into something really nice.
Ahh, gotcha. So it's more of a precaution than a prevention. Thanks for the info - now I don't feel too bad about using improved clinch on braid. I am 99% saltwater/brackish guy and I only know and use these:

1. Improved clinch (to tie to swivels/lures)
2. Uni-to-uni (to tie two different lines together)
3. Drop loops (usually hi-lo, but sometimes a single drop loop)
4. Palomar (to tie big circle hooks to drop loops)
5. Double overhand (when I don't want to use a swivel for tandem rigs - similar to how spec rigs are sold)
6. FG (to tie braid to mono/fluoro on baitcasters for lures)
7. Snell (to tie hooks for fish finders)

·
Registered
263 Posts
Just checked spiderwire's website and they show the improved clinch as a knot you can use with braid. I still like palomar better for tying on a swivel.

·
Registered
134 Posts
In smaller diameter braid, a clinch knot will slip (at least in my experience). Maybe up to 10lb or so. Heavier than that I use a uni or palomar to terminal and an FG from braid to flouro leader. Under 10lb test I just use a uni to uni for braid to leader as its not worth the time to tie the FG. I invented my own way of tying the FG where I don't have an issue tying it on the kayak in 3 foot chop with little light in a 15kt wind. I'm sure someone else has stumbled upon it as well. If I ever get my lazy butt to edit some videos, Ill post it up my method here.

Another bit of advice I picked up somewhere is when tying knots with braid, double the amount of loops the knot calls for (i.e 10 wraps for a uni instead of 5). Overkill in most cases but it doesn't hurt.

·
Registered
905 Posts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjzUb5QRKuk
js

1 - 20 of 25 Posts