Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am an avid freshwater fisherman, but know very little about surf fishing. In fact, I know nothing! Next summer, my family is renting a great house on the beach at Surf City, NJ. I want to do some (a lot!) surf fishing at my leisure; I need to know the following:
Recommended spinning rod/reel combo
Line type and weight
Bait?
Lures?
Any other useful tips?]

We are going on the last week of August next year, but I would like to prepare ahead if possible. Thanks for your help!

Bob

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
I'd recommend an 11' Ocean Master, with an Okuma Avenger reel, fairly economical. Main line, 15 pound test. Shock leader about two and a half rod lengths of 40 pound test, fishfinder rig, with 50 pound test from terminal tackle to hook. Usually use 8/0 or larger circle hooks, fresh bunker cut. Evenings and early morning will be your best shot, and look for the two hours before and after the tide movements. If I think of anything else, I'll let you know.

Welcome aboard.

Have Jeep will travel.:D

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
I'm a conventional guy...

Nothing against spinning setups but I prefer a 12' conventional setup. I use 20 lb mono on all my surf setups. The setup allows me to cast 8-N-Bait when I need it as surf conditions dictate. Don't be surprised if you have to cast 10-N-bait in rough conditions. The conventional setup can handle it. As I use 20 lb mono, I use 50 lb shockers for my setups.

If you want to get good at surf fishing you have to get out there and do it. Now is the perfect time to get out there.

Shaggy has been living at AI lately working the Fall run of stripers that migrate South past AI.

Good thing about the colder weather is that you can't smell the left over bunker left behind the back seat in your Jeep! :eek:

Some info on AI. Good luck!

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/publiclands/eastern/assateague.html

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Buy a good reel...

I would rather spend the money towards a good reel and a OK rod especially if you are just starting out. Make sure the reel is saltwater proof (to an extent), has a good drag, and is made from quality materials. I have seen many a cheap reel fall apart during the battle. ;) Go with the name brands and expect to spend around $100 for the reel alone.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
As far as lures go, anything heavy works, Hopkins, Kastmasters, large bucktails, things like that are great when you see a school of breaking fish.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
i know a lot of people use the storm wildeyes but i'm not sure how they are fished or what sizes, any help out there?

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
Left over bunker? Then 1) ya didn't fish long enough or 2) not enough friends showed up to fish with ya or 3) it wasn't fresh to begin with.:)

Really debating on the trip tomorrow, though you might be able to catch something, with the winds, means two things, lots of grass and tough time holding the bottom (when you need 10 or more, you sometimes wonder, how many times can I cast this sucker times four rods). Will be monitoring condition changes, if they occur, and see how my brother feels after the Maryland Virginia game before I/we make a final decision. Also, with winds today and forecasted for tomorrow, wondering how many boats will be checking thier nets for bait. If none, chance for fresh bunker will be very slim.

To add, 24 - 30 mph winds on the beach also means a good sand blast to the body much less the Jeep (she likes the sand under her tires, but not in her face).

Just don't know if it would be really worth while. Rather cold, wet with a nice southerly wind, than the roaring blasts.

Unfortunately, Saturday doesn't look too bad, but I's gotta work.

Alas, knowing me and my brother, chances are that we are just big enough idiots to end up there, cold, messy hair, sand blasted and who knows a nice striper or blue. Right now 50/50.

Have Jeep (still considering) will travel. :D

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
bluerunner said:
i know a lot of people use the storm wildeyes but i'm not sure how they are fished or what sizes, any help out there?
I've used th storms at th mouth of a creek using th 3" minnow flavor an done well with pups last yr. This yr I haven't caught a fish on a storm but h*ll I have had a hard time using bait. :eek:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts