Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just saw this article in the Chesapeake Angler.
A surf bag/pouch that you can carry 2 sand spikes and 2 surf rods hands-free:www.carbonesbag.com

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Does'nt look bad, I might just buy one or two(big rods - sm. rods)I think it would be great for the med.-sm.rods the tackle box is just right for them. The large bag(tackle box) might not hold as much weights,rigs(for bait fisherman) but for lures it might be just the thing. My 2 cents. :)

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
Those were the days when I could get by with only two rods, a little punk cooler, and a pail (not even a 5 gal one no less). ;)

Now it's the surf cart, five or six rods, 50 lb tackle box (feels like it anyway), a big cooler, chair, chest waders, and a 8 gal pail.

Next addition is a beach umbrella. :)

Does it ever stop? :eek:

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Add 3 kids and a wife and then you have boogie boards, skim boards, extra cooler, 4 more chairs, snack bags, not one but two umbrellas, etc.

And I wonder why my back and shoulders hurt. :)

·
Registered
270 Posts
But that does bring up an interesting question. Why do we carry all that stuff?

I know we all use the same excuse, "In case we need it", but most of the time we don't.

I carry a surf bag which contains 5-6 Plano 3600 boxes full of various lures ranging from metal to diving plugs. Then there are the flash lights, one for the old hat to see to tie knots and one for the dark trip back to the car. There is the hemostats for removing small hooks from small fish and the LONG nose pliers for the bigger teethy fish. There is the lip-lock Berkley be "kind to the fish" grippers, leaders, spare spools, compass, GPS (I get lost easily), various tools, etc.

Then there is the Plano hardshell, see-thru box with all the stuff for bait fishing. This too comes with it's own set of tools just in case I leave the soft bag home. We have a hundred pounds of lead and 1,000 miles of wire and mono leader, crimp sleeves, crimp tool, etc.

Next the cooler, 50 qt. Coleman Xtreme for fish that I catch and release and don't forget the one for drinks and food. God knows we can't put it in the one for the fish we release. The beach chair with it's drink holders for the "soda" and now the umbrella. Sand spikes for the 10 rods, a bait cutting board and basket, 5 gal bucket for something (I haven't figured out what it's for, but everyone else carries one so I do too.), fillet knife and cleaning board (again for those catch and release fish) and first aid kit (really contains more beer in case the beach police confiscate the cooler).
That's just my stuff!

I am one of the fortunate (?) ones whose wife loves to soak in the sun, to the extent of 10 hours at a time! She needs her chair, beach towel, 10 gal. bag of assorted lotions of different strengths (me, I just use reel grease), newspaper, magazine rack, an assortment of books and her cooler with fancy bottle water and diet waffer snacks. Thank God all our kids are grown and have rug rats of their own to take to the beach.

We look like a band of gypsies dragging this Fishmate Sr. cart down to the surf. Stuff is pilled 6 feet high and hanging off the sides. Maybe she'll give me an ATV for Xmas!

WHY?????? What's you guys excuse?

·
Registered
3,746 Posts
(I haven't figured out what it's for, but everyone else carries one so I do too.)

I think that is the biggest reason why we have so much stuff. I mean we are MEN! Well some women here too, but it is instictive for us to have what some one else has or have better.
Oh yeah and also just in case! :D

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
I wouldn't know--I only carry two rods, a chair in a bag, and a tackle bag.
No bucket, no cooler, no cart, no umbrella, etc.

·
Registered
3,746 Posts
That is b/c when he goes fishing he only catches spot and perch! So his fishing buddies can liveline them for big rockfish. :p :p :p ;)

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Uh, well. Umm.. I'd like to brag about the huge rocks I caught last year, but my only keeper sized rock last year had sores all over it.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Man! Some of you guys are wearin me out!

It's funny this topic should come up. While prepping for this season, I've been trying to come up with a list of the bare essentials 'cause I'm tired of carying all that [email protected] Then I thought "I wanna get me a Fish'n Mate Sr."..............That shot that plan all to hell! ;)

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
Ruedy,

With a little exercise before you hit the beach with your new cart, you should be in shape to lug all the "necessary [email protected]" that is really needed to be a productive surf fisherman. ;)

Sometimes it does seem like work and not fun.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Sandcrab,

You're right and you're makin me laugh......I've yet to put a single item on my "non-essential" list.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts