Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have been looking for a new lighter inshore reel and want around 200 yds of 10# line. my price range right now is up to about 70$. the 2 i am looking at right now are the daiwa exceler 3000, and the shimano sahara 4000 but am opened to suggestions. thank you

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
for that price range, those new saharas are gonna be tough to beat. also look at the quantum catalyst inshore. you can find them on places like ebay in that price range. ive fished the 20 size hard for over 2 years and it's still as smooth as the day it came outta the box. great bang for your buck.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Quantum Pulse 30, 40

Some guy on eBay is selling closeout the Quantum Pulse in size 30 and 40.
Prices are going, with shipping, between $18 and $25.
I have a 30 and I am impressed. It is SMOOTH and looks like it's much the same as the Boca... all metal construction, magnetic bail trip, large line roller, solid little reel.

I intend to pick up a 40 also for exactly the application you mention.

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
I own the Sahara its a nice reel but I have found in the past few years that I like the Daiwa’s better. I have the Laguna, which has been discontinued and replaced by the Exceler. For the most part it is the same reel so I think that you cannot go wrong with this reel.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Bigcatch why do you need 200yds. for an inshore reel useing 10# test?:confused: Go ahead and invest in a Penn Slammer get a 260 or 360 you will not regret it. They will out perform any Shimano or Quantum on the market as they are not Saltwater reels.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bigcatch why do you need 200yds. for an inshore reel useing 10# test?:confused: Go ahead and invest in a Penn Slammer get a 260 or 360 you will not regret it. They will out perform any Shimano or Quantum on the market as they are not Saltwater reels.
thanks for the reply. but i probably didnt give enough explanation of what i want. im looking for a light reel to put on a jigging rod. i will also jigg this off the pier. my last broke and am getting a different kind. this will be used for jigging for spanish makeral, bluefish, flounder, puppy drum, and stripers. i already have a bigger 12' setup

·
Registered
188 Posts
Just for what it is worth the Owner and his Son from local tackle shop here in FL use the SHARA on the Flats (Crystal River//Homosassa) for trout/red/snook/spanish and as owner he could use his choice of Reels, he said best Reel for money ,good selling reel

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
im guessing sealed drag system, corrosion resistant ball bearings, corrosion resistance, durability!
Yeah, both Shimano and Quantum make several models with all of the above features. I guess what I meant to ask is what differentiates a Penn Slammer as a "saltwater reel" over any Shimano or Quantum on the market?

Not trying to knock on the Slammer (they're solid reels), but saying Shimano or Quantum don't make "saltwater reels" is misleading.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Yeah, both Shimano and Quantum make several models with all of the above features. I guess what I meant to ask is what differentiates a Penn Slammer as a "saltwater reel" over any Shimano or Quantum on the market?

Not trying to knock on the Slammer (they're solid reels), but saying Shimano or Quantum don't make "saltwater reels" is misleading.
Yes it is misleading! It should have said something like," Penn makes much better saltwater reels than shimano and quantum do". Although i do not agree they are both monarchs and are both side by side the best in my opinion, shimano is much smoother,lighter, and alot more on the tech and pricey side, penn on the other hand is the tank, "most" of their reels are practically almost all metal making them a bit heavier! they are alot cheaper and they offer great quality at a lower price! In my opinion and financial status for my fishing id rather penn! But boy if i had the money id have an army of stellas, sustains, side by side with some ssm's and some 16/0 senators! Daiwa is another good brand thats very durable but im a fan of "some" reels only!

Anyways, ive seen the saharas "new ones" and they seem very nice, they sound good are very smooth! Next plugging reel for me! anyways ive been staring at the catalyst's for a while now and they seem very nice but i personally do not buy used reels except if the price is like a once in a lifetime thing! Anyway you might want to also check out the spinfisher ssg's they are my second choice for my next plugging reel! I believe they are like 10$ over your price range though, but i think you can just order from the value meal next time you go to mcdonalds instead of ordering an 8$ big mac right?

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
so what makes a reel a "saltwater reel?"
How often do you want to clean and lube your reel, and do you have the expertise to do so? That's what it comes down to. I had a Stradic 5000 FH (allegedly a freshwater reel) and rinsed and washed it and kept it lubed! It was just as good the day I sold it as the day I bought it. Smooooooth!!! Saltwater reels will not require as much maintennance as freshwater when used in a saltwater environment, but by the same token, you should take care of your saltwater reels as if they were freshwater...they'll last a lot longer!!!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts