Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings All!

With all the bad weather lately, I've had plenty of time to get my new scanner up and running. Slowly adding new pictures -- go to:
http://photo.epson.com/

and plunk my email address:

[email protected]

-- under VISIT ALBUMS. Nothing spectacular, but may help you kill a couple of minutes if the snow materializes this week (will this winter ever end?) On a bright note, the Pintail Point cats were caught the first weekend of April, and that's only five weeks away! I'll be adding pics (and replacing the poor quality scans) over the next couple of weeks while recuperating from my knee surgery (if they don't cancel it again because of snow), so stop by every once in a while to view the progress. Eventually I will link it all to my home page, which will also be updated.

You can also see a new entry under NJ Hot Spots (Ocean City Pier, at least until it gets a REAL name!) And there's a new pic under Winter 2002 Photos, compliments of Sand Flea.

So until somebody catches a fish....

·
Registered
7,081 Posts
Jake...Nice pics. I've to get over to there and catch some of those cats. Didn't you tell me they are C&R only? Thanks for sharing. Nice to put a face with a name.

Catman.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Thanks for the pics Jake.....Nice lookin catfish......Didn't help my case of fishin bug though, it's worse now!.....Will this winter ever end? I got snow on my car this AM for cryin out loud!

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Greetings Catman!

Its strictly catch and release... If you call early in April there's a good chance you can get permission to fish. Once the good weather sets in they have the country club couples over there shooting skeet, and they may "object" to the down-home appearance of the average catfisherman. (Remember, they pay $100.00/day to flyfish these ponds!) Or you could pay to shoot a round of clays @ $45.00, then ask if you can check out the pond. If you do go, take a pint of livers per person per hour of fishing -- the hits come that quickly. I'd love to bring some shiners in, but they don't allow that (don't want us common folk roughing up their largemouths and hybrids!) The staff is superfriendly, I thoroughly enjoyed my stay....

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Greetings ruedy!

The weatherman says we have more snow on the way... I'm about ready to run back to my old college and grab one of those Spring Break specials in Lauderdale. Use to be $275.00 for airfare to and from, 5 nights lodging, and a rental car... but that was almost 15 years ago. Twice that amount still sems like a deal, especially with the prospect of fishing in the sun....

·
Registered
98 Posts
M. Jake,
Great pics----man they sure have me ready to tear out the front door right now. Don't have the slightist idea where I would be headed but I sure would have a rod in hand. Keep up your great work. I'll learn to deal with the anxiety.

Soapfish

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Greetings Soapfish!

This winter has been BAD -- no, make that UGLY! What has me scared is a current theory that, due to the polar caps melting and decreasing the salinity of the North Atlantic (which in turn would stop the flow of the 5 mph Gulf Stream), the Northeast U.S. could see a major DROP in winter temperatures for the next 15-20 years. Hey, if that's the case -- I'm moving! I'll have no trouble swithching from stripers and blues to red drum and snook. One of the benefits of working for the Federal Government is that there's always a job open somewhere else. Right now Brownsville TX sounds good -- I can always find a way to cool off, but once I'm cold, I'm c-o-l-d!!

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Hey MJ I was in your area late last week and the begining of this week. I also caught a ton of fish. Now that I've probably got your attention here's the catch (no pun intended) it was in the Philly Navy yards Drydock #3. I'm a Dockmaster by trade and our company operates #2 & #3 docks @ PNSY. I've got to hand it to your game & fisheries guy's up there they've got their s**t together. They make us stop pumping the dock down when there's a couple of feet of water in the dock and send a crew of guys into the dock with waders and nets to catch all the fish then put them into a big tub that is dumped back into the Delaware river. Most other places it's a free-for-all and all the yard workers get a free fish dinner. By the way where or what is Manayunk? Seems like I saw it on a sign but passed it to quickly.

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
Right off the website http://www.manayunk.com/

"Named a National Historic District in 1983, Manayunk is located just minutes west of Center City Philadelphia, nestled along the banks of the Schuylkill River and the historic Manayunk Canal. Main Street runs through the heart of this unique shopping and dining destination with over 70 chic boutiques and galleries and 30 restaurants and eateries. Manayunk offers something for everyone. Visitors immediately feel welcome and encounter an honesty, pride and attention to service that keeps them coming back again and again."

MJ - Is this right?

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Thanks Sandcrab. I just started w/ the new company, but I've already made 4 trips to the city of Brotherly love and should have to go back at least 4-6 times a year depending on how the ship-docking business goes up there. Now I've got a start on some "tourist" type things to do when things slow down or at night.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Greetings Sandcrab!

The geographical data is correct, but the rest is just advertising hype. Main Street is a combination Yuppie Haven and College Kid Hangout. The restaurants are overpriced, and you'll pay $10.00 or more for vallet parking. Don't try to park your car yourself! Walk one block off Main Street and "Olde Historical Manayunk" becomes Old Hysterical Manayunk, a mostly blue collar neighborhood with young kids on every corner ready to pop your window and steal that Blaupunkt (sp?). Laptops, cell phones, and brief cases are other prime targets of opportunity.

I do have to laugh at the Yuppies who get a couple of beers in them (at $7.50 a bottle) and decide to hit one of the "local" bars. All to often they think they can act out their tough guy fantasies, only to get their heads ripped off by local roofers, plumbers, carpenters...

However, the fishing in the Schuylkill is fantastic, with smallmouth bass the predominant species. Manayunk has the only whitewater stretch within city boundaries. Things can get pretty tense when kayakers practice barrel rolls in your favorite pool. Lucky they wear those helmets -- some of the rocks that get chucked at them are pretty big!

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Greetings jay b!

There's lierally tons of fish in the Navy Yard... its a hotspot with the bass clubs that hold tournaments on the Delaware River. When the shipyard was working full capacity, guys would put set lines out in the morning, then come back at lunch to see what they had caught. Mostly big tidal cats and carp, but a lot of species call the dock area home. I wouldn't reccomend eating anything out of the tidal portions of the Schuylkill or Delaware -- too many years of dumping by dozens of chemical plants.... Just wish there was more bank access to tap that motherlode of fish!

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Greetings All!

More pics posted -- same instructions as in the initial post. (Somebody is reading Pier & Surf regularly -- over 700 hits last week!) Maybe 50 more pics and I'm caught up... hopefully I'll have caught some fish and have 2004 pics by the end of April!

·
Registered
291 Posts
Those are some nice pics. I was wondering are those jetties swarming with stripers at night. Looks to me that if you hang a lite near the boardwalk one youd get 1000s of trout and stripers.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Greetings fishnkid!

I wouldn't use the word "swarm". There's always a few schoolies hanging around, and late in the Fall they can get real thick. At the Longport Jetty one guy caught 24 stripers before getting a 24 inch slot fish. The T Jetty sees some big fish show up in the Fall.

The water under the boardwalk is normally real shallow. Folks were fishing there because a storm surge made the jetty risky. I am hoping the lights at the new pier in Ocean City (NJ) will attract weakies (trout) in the summer. All of the jetties have blackfish in the Fall and again in Spring. (They should be showing up there by April.) Same with the bridge pilings at the new pier.

In late summer fluke, kingfish (whiting), and small croakers show up at the jetties for folks fishing for a meal. Blues from snapper size up to choppers can show up, pinning bait against the rocks. And some days nothing hits except the skates and sea robins...

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Greetings Ray!

Just follow the instructions in the initial post. Over 50 fishing pics from 2000 to 2002. Will be loading additional pics this week, mostly last year's croakerfest with croakers up to 18.5 inches (three pounds plus!)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts