Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to surf fishing and long distance casting. i have a Abu Garcia Blue Yonder 7000 reel and am looking to buy a rod to put it on. I interested in fishing for Bull Drum and Puppy Drum, but I cant always be there when they are running, so I would be fishing for whatever is biting at the time I am there. I have decided to buy a Carolina Cast Pro Rod because of all the great reviews I have read. So far I haven't found any negative comments on any of the fishing forums about these rods. My question is what would be the disadvantage of me buying the 13' 8-12 instead of one of the other lighter rods? I plan on buying other setups later, but for now need a rod for this particular reel. What are your recommendations?

·
Registered
41 Posts
I can't answer your question specifically but I just got the 13 8-12 to match my akios 757 and love it so far for a dedicated 8n bait in not so calm surf.
I'm also thinking about my next set up so I'll watching this thread.

lh

·
Registered
787 Posts
There is no disavantage per say but the real question is what weight do you anticipate using the most? Leadhead looking for another rod? The 4-8 all day by far my favorite rod I've ever owned I can't say enough about it. If the man gave me one rod to use for the rest of my life I would grab that with out a doubt. So versatile would have no problem zipping 4's for mullet pomps and pups then popping on a 8 and slinging for drum.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
+1 on the 4 to 8 oz 12'8 it is also my favorite. If I could only have one rod for bait fishing that would be my choice paired with a penn squall 15. Nothing against abu's penn's just my preference for sand.

·
Premium Member
3,349 Posts
KW,

The 13' 8-12 is my flagship heaver. it is designed for fishing the heavy surf and for throwing heavy payloads. While light for a heaver (blank weighs < 20 oz) it is made to do battle with big drum and cobia. For a heaver it is easy to load but throws a looooong way while being a bit easier on your back than most other rods in it's class.

The 12'8" 4-8 is a true "light" heaver. It is designed to smoke 6 and a small bait and does so wonderfully. It is lightweight and very easy to load. It is VERY versatile. You can bomb 4oz and sand fleas for pompano, 6oz for puppy drum/bluefish or 8 and a small bait for bigger drum. It is a newer rod but sales are rocking.... :)

If you are looking for an "8nbait" rod, go for the 8-12 (or 6-10). If you want something a little more versatile then the 12'8" 4-8 may be the ticket for you. Just please understand the 8 and a small bait is the top end for this rod.

Tommy

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.