Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a new project today along with some Mitchell spool cases,the reelisa bit rough but Ivan straighten it and beatify it a bit,maybe catfish and surf fishing,what do you think for a 10 spot?
Automotive tire Wood Gas Automotive wheel system Auto part

Automotive tire Material property Wood Gas Table

Wheel Automotive tire Bicycle part Tire Rim

Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle brake Wood Rim

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Wood Musical instrument

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As there’s not much I could do with pitted plating so I removed it on the crossbars .I mean,I’m sure I could get all new metal but not sure it’s worth it! It does work like a charm and everything inside is clean and lubed ,not a lot wrong inside just old hard grease and the bent foot,funny very little wear ,I mean ,to me,I’m no expert reel repair guy this is only my second Penn rebuild ,but things looked ,not new ,but very little used inside,while the plating is beat.Now I gotta get another new rod,dang it!

Attachments

·
Registered
70 Posts
it's always worth ten bucks. where else can you get a few hours entertainment that cheaply? If you feel good about full disassembly, soak all chrome in white vinegar over night. it will eat the verdigris. Rinse, lube, reassemble. carbon drags are cheap at Mystic parts and you're out under 20 bucks with a reel that'll go another 20 years. You're correct- replacing all crossbars can get expensive. Looks like plastic spool version version; if so load 50-100 yards of dacron or braid backing if you are going to cast mono. Mono will stretch, then compact, and blow out plastic spools. I've built north of a hundred Surfmasters, Baymasters, Jigmasters, Squidders, Beachmasters. Love 'em. Lemme know if you have any issues or questions.

John

·
Registered
113 Posts
Did you you any products such as Flitz pre-cleaner or Turtle Wax chrome polish on that?

I recently watched a video of a guy renewing an old Penn reel and after sanding down all the rough spots he actually nickel plated most of the exposed brightwork. I didn't realize you can get a simple electroplating kit for under $100, but it sure helped make his old reel shine again.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Nice. Be a good candidate for a one-piece frame from ebay. In my experience with old Penns, once that reel foot gets out of shape it can get in a bind, especially under load.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
No but I soaked the rings and foot in vinegar and lemon juice after reshaping the foot and hand brushed the foot with a wire brush which cleared up any verdigris and loose chrome,I polished the crossbars down to 1500 wet or dry pretty much everything else was soaked with PB blaster and wiped down then lightly greased while assembling with some light gun grease,After assembly I did polish it a bit with some glass top stove polish.on the rings,foot and rods.
I been considering making a nickel plate ing set up for gun purposes and if it works I may consider trying a replate but for now it’s not bad at all for my uses.I may install carbon drags also,these lock down but only after the star is almost completely tight ,what’s normal for this adj? You guys probably know that but I’m a little in the gray on that.I’ll also probably replace the screws that are bungered,that’s a peeve of mine,also from gun work.the spool play is adjusted to just a bit of play short of zero.I’ll have to see about the binding under load thing,I guess I’ll find out. I may find an aluminum spool for it eventually,you say put some braid on before mono? What about all braid?

·
Registered
70 Posts
No but I soaked the rings and foot in vinegar and lemon juice after reshaping the foot and hand brushed the foot with a wire brush which cleared up any verdigris and loose chrome,I polished the crossbars down to 1500 wet or dry pretty much everything else was soaked with PB blaster and wiped down then lightly greased while assembling with some light gun grease,After assembly I did polish it a bit with some glass top stove polish.on the rings,foot and rods.
I been considering making a nickel plate ing set up for gun purposes and if it works I may consider trying a replate but for now it’s not bad at all for my uses.I may install carbon drags also,these lock down but only after the star is almost completely tight ,what’s normal for this adj? You guys probably know that but I’m a little in the gray on that.I’ll also probably replace the screws that are bungered,that’s a peeve of mine,also from gun work.the spool play is adjusted to just a bit of play short of zero.I’ll have to see about the binding under load thing,I guess I’ll find out. I may find an aluminum spool for it eventually,you say put some braid on before mono? What about all braid?

All braid will work, but that's going to be a challenge to really sling. These reels are an eighty year old design, so that standard width spool will hold a BUTT-LOAD of fifty pound braid, which exceeds drag capability on the reel and is going to be a bear to cast. ALSO, more importantly, and especially if you are little cattywompus due the stand situation, braid might easily go in behind the spool. This is known on these reels even with intact stand. Bottom fishing, why not, but they were designed to throw Dacron as a cheaper alternative to the ball-bearing Squidder. You might consider static magging if you put in an aluminum spool- that will help. Without it, you are 100% on educated thumb which can get real hot throwing braid on a wide spool. Not saying it can't be done, but not ideal by far. If you fully stripped the bar chrome, you might apply a clear coat or paint. I've done ok with a high-heat flat black, and maybe cook in an old toaster oven. Now, you're a gun guy....maybe cerakote or similar is a good choice. There are guys that have done that. If you do the rechroming, do us a tutorial. Bad chrome is all over ebay so there is plenty of stuff to experiment on cheaply. I'll send you some for that matter- would love to see this (namely because I have a box of crappy chrome rings, stands and bars, lol) I also had a conversation Alan Tani and Bryan Young on the way to dinner once about possibly using a UV-cure polymer, which is harder than rattle can but could be easy for home hobbyist. I just haven't had time to work on it.

Stands and bars fit Jigmaster 500, Surfmaster 250, Surfmaster 200. and Beachmaster 155, should you happen to see a donor or parts. 155 Stand fits but doesn't have clamp holes / fittings. A 24-66 handle (paddle) is also nice upgrade vs. std handle.

Mystic Parts has all these parts, as well as the crossreference of interchangeable options. I'd def swap into carbon drags and new undergear washer also....the 155 carbon drag (HT-100) washer will work as under-gear washer in place of fiber washer. Grease all with Cal's or Shimano drag grease and that will make it much smoother.

John

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Alright,thanks that’s a wealth of info,especially on the braid and options,I already figured the get the carbon drags,you give me a lot to digest thsanks,thorhammer.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Already picked up another,this one’s a Baymaster 180,chrome is real nice not much freckling at all,also no evidence of drag at all!,sides are black,lighthouse pic and a shorter handle than the 200 or the 150 but seemingly the same reel just shorter,more narrow.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Dude, that's an old one! in great shape! I'd clean that and put on onna shelf. seriously. That vintage, in that shape are fairly hard to come by, and that handle in butterscotch, is rare. I'd say 50's but maybe pre-WWII; I know who to ask if you wish to date the reel. Just take her somewhere nice with cloth napkins and bubbly.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I took her in gave her a bath,found and replaced missing AND out of place parts and bought her new drags and washers.then my son in law gave me a birthday gift
Automotive lighting Wood Tints and shades Pattern Mesh
Wood Art Auto part Metal Automotive design
Gas Auto part Nickel Metal Fashion accessory
Automotive tire Flash photography Wood Automotive lighting Tints and shades

Gas Auto part Nickel Metal Fashion accessory

Automotive tire Flash photography Wood Automotive lighting Tints and shades

Wood Art Auto part Metal Automotive design
Eyewear Automotive tire Font Material property Audio equipment

Photograph Font Camera Material property Eyewear

Font Material property Camera Camera lens Reflex camera

Glasses Vision care Eyewear Font Material property
So now I’ve got my hands full. He wanted to bring me up to date,now I have poles to buy! That was July 4, ,I can use the Kastking pretty good but haven’t got either in the water.The Baymaster was missing a clutch spring,an eccentric spring,and when I removed the handle there was a keyed drag washer right under it,a little out of place,everything is back where it belongs now ,I just need a pole for it. I believe late 40’s,a real survivor,I basically Just cleaned off the crud and replaced the missing parts.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It is a really cool reel,magnetic brakes,very light and small,last year I finally got a hand on baitcasters,spinners are still my main squeeze, but this thing might spoil me,do I still get birds nests? Honestly ,yes but bad ones are very rare and only if I don’t do my part.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Dude, that's an old one! in great shape! I'd clean that and put on onna shelf. seriously. That vintage, in that shape are fairly hard to come by, and that handle in butterscotch, is rare. I'd say 50's but maybe pre-WWII; I know who to ask if you wish to date the reel. Just take her somewhere nice with cloth napkins and bubbly.
I would like to date her but I may have got her close,who do you know that might help?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts