Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
sand flea,

this product review thing is great idea. I think i will wait for second generation to come out with improvements... thanks for the helpful article...

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Don't you fellas have enough toys to play with as it is?

I feel this device would be useful. However, on a pier with a bunch of other anglers would probably not be ideal. Just as a single lantern beaming it's light onto the water's surface at night draws every angler within jigging range, so would this novelty. Don't see how you could successfully hook a fish without the possibility of it taking you around the line attached to this thing-of-a-ma-jig. Also it could be difficult to fish more than 1 rod "stress free." Sure there's always the possibility of hooking up with both rods at a time without radar/sonar intervention. But to know for sure that there are a lot of fish near two or more of your lines would definitely rank up there with strong regular brew coffee. Would give me the jitters for sure. Now for anyone who's a thrill seeker, this is right up their alley. For pier applications............ it's definitely not for the over 40+ crowd. At least that's my opinion. Would make a terrific gift for one's child or grandchild though. And of course, the purchaser would have the tedious job of helping em figure out how it works. ;-)

Now putting it to use while in a boat, that's a whole separate matter. A single angler would definitely benefit from such device.

Still I think it would take most of the relaxing aspect out of fishing.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Ifin I had the extra kish I might but until they come out with the new and Improved model that swims up and hooks the fish for ya I think I'm gonna pass.:D Thanks for the info sand flea.

·
Administrator
5,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Orest, yeah maybe I should have put the price in, huh? :rolleyes:

It retails for 89.99 from Bass Pro. I just put the link in the story.

And you don't really need another rod to toss the transducer--just use a snap swivel to switch from the transducer to the whatever rig you're using on the rod.

·
Registered
374 Posts
flea,

I picked one up last week from BPS and was going to write a review myself.

Besides the distance factor, another flaw I would like to point out is that you often lose signal in fast current and choppy water. Battery life on the watch is something like 40 hours, so an auto shut off would be nice. Yes, the casting unit can be worked like a topwater and get surface strikes. :p

It has it's applications in the salt, but I believe this unit is ideal for your typical freshwater situations.

·
Administrator
5,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, that's pretty much what the product guy said. But he did tell me today that they're working on getting the distance up in future models and they'd be sending prototypes along.

I really think this could be a great toy if they could get the transmission distance up to 120-160'.

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Hey SF, I think these reviews will be a great addition to the site. So do you actually get to submit them back to the manufacturer?

·
Administrator
5,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yup. Manufacturers are always looking for feedback on their products.

Next up: Hobie Outback kayak and a collapsible drop net.

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Sweet

Are they even nice enough to throw you a complimentary one in or do you have to return the product when you are done.

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
Cool Flea keep the reviews coming.
TA pier's are a good place to use those because of the angle. But it would let you there are fish you can't catch.

·
Administrator
5,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
FL FISHERMAN: Most smaller items are sent along gratis. Bigger items, like kayaks, are not. Generally manufacturers arrange for demos. In some cases I purchase out of pocket.

I like to take them and fish the items for awhile. You can't review a product without taking it on the water and letting several anglers play with it.

The things I've been given as review items will probably be given away in contests yet to be determined (angler of the year?) I don't like the idea of hanging onto things that were sent for review--it starts to look like I'm giving reviews for free products, which I don't want anyone to think. There's something to be said for impartiality.

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Cool! Too bad the Kayak doesn't come "gratis";) So with you doing this is it giving Pier and Surf PR or is this something you are doing on the side? The way you are going you should be able to get some sponsors within the next couple years.:rolleyes:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts