Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking to buy a new pole for throwing bucktailes at IRI. right now a have a 7" Ticaclassic with a shimino 4000fg stratic. It seems every time i go fishing there every one else is out casting me by atlest double. HELP please :)

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
BigBubba....I'm not familar with the rod you use so I'll just give you you some generic info. Your Shimino 4000 Stradic has a capacity of 200 yds of 10# test line. What kind of line are you using? Is it plain mono, fluorocarbon, spider wire, or braided? I've switched over to Power Pro Super Braid 30# which has the same diameter as 8# mono. It casts as smooth as silk when matched to the right rod. For your rod I'd use a 7', 1 piece, light to medium action. This will handle 6# to 15# line and cast a 1/4 to 1/2 oz. lure with ease. If your going to throw a heavier lure say in the 1/2 to 1 oz. range you want to move up to a med. action rod of the same length. For lures up to 2 oz. you'll need to to go to heavy action rod of the same length. See what's happening? As you move up in lure weight you must also move up in rod action. If you throw a light lure with a heavier action the rod won't load properly resulting in short casts. The opposite is true when using a heavy lure with a lighter action rod. The rod will load too soon resulting in short casts. The serious angler will carry at least 3 or 4 different rods to match the type of fishing required. There just isn't any single rod that will meet all your requirements. Unless you're very avid fisherman don't worry about the top of the line rods like G-Loomis, St Croix, or Star. There are some very good rods in the $50.00 to $75.00 range such as the Penn Slammers that will work just fine. The main thing to be concerned about when seeking distance casting is to match the rod action to the weight casted. Hope this helps.

Catman.

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
Or use some of that free Stealth line!

I have a 8 footer that I use (15 lb test) and I think Catman said it right - you need to look at what it takes to reach bottom at IRI. Most of the weights/lures I use are in the 1-1/2 to 2 oz range. You should be able to cast metal half way across the inlet. ;)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts